Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marshamallow creme frosting ..how to?

Options
  • 11-07-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

This is the recipe I use to make marshmallow creme, but want to halve it and make marshmallow butter cream to frost cupcakes with but no idea what the qualities should be..so here's the recipe I use..

3 egg whites, room temperature
    2 cups light corn syrup
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups sifted powdered (confectioner's) sugar
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

In large bowl of an electric mixer, add egg whites, corn syrup, and salt. Using your electric mixer on high speed, mix for approximately 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and volume has almost doubled.
    On low speed, add powdered sugar and mix until well blended. Add vanilla extract just until well blended.
    Your homemade marshmallow fluff/cream is now ready to use on your Whoopie Pies or other recipes. Use immediately, or refrigerate in a covered container for up to 2 weeks.

...A lot of recipes call for even more icing sugar to be added..would I have to or could I just add some butter to the creme and would it be pipeable?

Or anyone any other recipes to turn marshmallow creme in to pipeable frosting? (I know I could just spread the creme itself on to cupcakes but I'd like it to be pipeable).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

That recipe makes roughly 1,000g of marshmallow creme. Half it, 500g. For meringue-based buttercream, a ratio of 1:1 or 1.5:1 butter to meringue is used.

So, you'll need between 500-750g of salted or unsalted butter, cubed, and very soft. I mean, poke it gently and it'll give very easily. It shouldn't be cold at all. For your recipe, after you've added the vanilla extract, run the mixer with the paddle attachment, and add in the softened butter gradually, until it's all added, and beat for 5-15 mins. The texture will look "broken" but will come together with mixing. If your butter is too cold, you'll have flecks of cold butter in your creme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thanks for that, will give it a go :)

Advertisement