Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

light weight head gear

Options
  • 11-07-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

was out in the office block and was unlucky enough to get hit by two shots to the head (you'd think i'd learn after the first one) one of which bled a little and has left a lovely mark two weeks later. me being the adonis i am cant stand having such a blemish on my perfect complexion so I'm looking into some sort of head protection.

I've considered a full face mask like this but found it difficuly to breath when i used one first time out so have opted for a mesh lower face mask (with Bolle Trackers)that works just fine. but the old forehead is wide open. I had a baseball cap on and that was bugger all use. I was thinking of a simple balaclave rolled up to cover the forehead but was thinking as the weather heats up (if it does) i might overheat.

any other options? are the full neoprene hoods any good or would i sweat like a weightwatcher in a cake shop? does anyone use something like this
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I use a bandanna - it covers the skin, and stops it from bleeding; you can be marked still, obviously, but it's the least restricting option. I also use a lower mesh mask + goggles/glasses - not a fan of full face masks at all.

Bullets here on boards uses, or has used, a full mesh mask similar to a fencing mask, so perhaps something along those lines would suit?

Personally my headgear consists of:
    - Bolle Raiders/X1000 (depending on what I'm in the mood for)
    - TMC V2 Mesh Mask (Infinitely more comfortable with X1000's than Trackers/Raiders)
    - Bandanna around neck (if you have facial hair and wear a mesh mask, then you'll know why...)
    - Bandanna or field cap on head

That covers me for pretty much everything, and still lets me see the iron sights of my rifles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I colse my top un nice and tight for the neck, so far i have only been grazed once and it didnt leave too big a mark.

I guess the bandana under a cap/boonie would add some padding to the noggin which is what i'm looking for I'll give that a go. if that doesnt work I'll look at a balaclava rolled up so it covers the forehead and ears (coz those hits hurt like hell)

like you I dont want something that will restrict my field of vision or use of sights etc so I'll stay away from full face masks,

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Salaas

I use a half face mesh mask, paired with mesh googles *not changed to the ole glasses yet* The half face mask covers my ears aswell so is quite handy for protecting that area aswell and considering 5 minutes after I got it I got shot at the ears several times and it blocked them all. *yay!* The only downside with it is that when you put it on you can't take it off as quickly as the quarter masks.

Neoprene will make you sweat like nobody's business.
    I just use my helmet as wanted to keep the soldier look and I've had no overheating from it, but then.... I rarely sweat so might not be a good judge for that.

The mask you were looking at I'd not use, I've seen them up close and they look cheap and nasty and don't offer all that great coverage as they are designed more for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

Salaas wrote: »
    I use a half face mesh mask, paired with mesh googles *not changed to the ole glasses yet* The half face mask covers my ears aswell so is quite handy for protecting that area aswell and considering 5 minutes after I got it I got shot at the ears several times and it blocked them all. *yay!* The only downside with it is that when you put it on you can't take it off as quickly as the quarter masks.

Neoprene will make you sweat like nobody's business.
    I just use my helmet as wanted to keep the soldier look and I've had no overheating from it, but then.... I rarely sweat so might not be a good judge for that.

The mask you were looking at I'd not use, I've seen them up close and they look cheap and nasty and don't offer all that great coverage as they are designed more for kids.

Boonie hats are good for all around head protection. A good one will have a droop in the material that will keep your ears and most of neck clear. Also protect forehead.

I wear the v2 face mask and its excellent if a little awkward to get on in a hurry.

Advertisement