Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time of work for Phyiso

Options
  • 11-07-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Just seeing am I entitled to time of work for Phyiso visits. I have SPD and going to Phyiso tommorrow. Boss been a Bit of a pain bout it.
    Just seeing what are the rules
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

The only time off you are entitled to as a pregnant woman is time off for antenatal appointments (and possibly antenatal classes during a first pregnancy although I'm not sure about that). There was a recent court case (McKenna v HSE) that tried to differentiate between pregnancy-related illness and normal illness that would have entitled women to extra sick-leave etc should they suffer from pregnancy-related illness. However, the case lost in the European courts so now any illness is treated the same no matter what it is. For this reason, any time you take off for physio etc will have to be treated the same as if you were attending physio for a non-pregnancy related condition. You will probably have to get a doctor's cert and possibly 'call in sick' for the time you miss and have your pay reduced accordingly (depending on what your particular contract/working conditions specify). It would be nice if your boss was more accommodating, but unfortunately they are under no obligation to facilitate your appointments without you going through the normal sick leave channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

babs.jones wrote: »
    Just seeing am I entitled to time of work for Phyiso visits. I have SPD and going to Phyiso tommorrow. Boss been a bit@h bout it.
    Just seeing what are the rules
    Thanks

I was in the exact same situation and took Physio visits at my own expense. In the end I got a private person who did physio in the evenings.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Do you work 9-5? Some physios offer later evening appointments on wednesdays or thursdays. Check out these guys http://www.thephysiocompany.com/about-us they have a practice in my GP's office and are very good.

Advertisement