Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missed my friends wedding- should i still get a gift?

Options
  • 11-07-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

My friends wedding was today, not exactly a best friend but I wanted to go all the same and was glad to be asked.

I got sick and am infectious at the moment so I cant go, money is extremely tight.
    Should I still send cash as a gift? if so how much?

I cant buy anything as a gift as they dont live in ireland and wud be hassle for them to bring home.
    I hate to be stingy but i dont get sick pay, holiday pay or even have a job contract BUT do want to follow etiquette and do right by my friend.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

There's no right or wrong really. Personally I would put money in a card for them, but if you're very broke then I wouldn't, no point putting yourself into debt for the sake of a present, if you've a little more money next year maybe you could give them something for their anniversary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭nhg

If you had'nt been sick you would have been going to the wedding & bringing a gift and you would probably be taking a days holidays for it, you would also have had to buy drink etc when you were there.

As you replied to the invitation that you were attending they would have ordered a meal for you which they would have had to pay for whether you came or not - so yes you should still send the same gift, don't spend the rest of your life regretting that you did'nt give a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would say it depends on a couple of things. Firstly how close you are to them and secondly does your friend know how tight things are for you?

If you don't give a gift it could be an end to your friendship- I know of people this has happened to. Don't understand it myself but I guess some people are into the gift/ material side of the wedding as much as or more than the committment. Only you can judge your friendship or what type of person your friend is.

Advertisement