Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things To Do In Chicago

• 11-07-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Going for a week in sept 2nd, whats it like there? what good nightclubs should we go to and activities to do during the day any advice? were staying smack bang in chicago beside oak beach thanks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Loads to do! There's a really good open top tour bus to take around, shows you all the sites.

Can try and catch a baseball game at Wrigley field. You can buy tickets on the day of the game about an hour before at the ticket office outside.

You can buy tickets on the day of a Broadway musical at the ticket office too. Or if there is one you really like you can book tickets online to get better seats.

Go and hang out in Millennium park. There's some cool sculptures and there are often bands or street performers there.

All the museums have one day a week that's free. I recommend the Art Institute, very good! There's a cool natural history museum and a science museum too. Check their websites to see what days are free.

Go all the way up the John Hancock Observatory for a great skyline view. You can't go up the Sears Tower so this is the highest you can get in the city.

The Lincoln Park zoo is free everyday, pretty good.

Go down Navy Pier. There's a theme park there and loads of cool shops and restaurants.

Make sure to get a Chicago pizza and a Chicago hotdog while you're there!

We didn't go to any nightclubs, just some bars near where we stayed, in Greektown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The aquarium is pretty good, it's out next to Soldier Field, so you may be able to combine a visit to the aquarium with a tour of the stadium. Unfortunately you'll miss out on a Bears game, there's one on 2nd next isn't til 11th.

There are several rivier tours you can do. We did an archictecture tour that started and ended just under the bridge at Michegan Avenue and while we're not architecture buffs by any stretch of the imagination, it was an excellent way to spend a couple of hours. Got vouchers too from them for the open top bus tour, which we did, but it wasn't as good. BUT, on that we got vouchers for the John Hancock Tower, the Hershey Store and a few other places, which almost offset the cost of the bus.

Millenium Park is very interesting alright. Great photo ops at the Bean and there may even be some open air concerts.

Navy Pier is good, there are fire work displays some nights (Wednesdays usually) and you can hop on a boat and head out into the lake and watch them with the skyline in the background. Makes for an amazing evening.

+1 on getting pizza. Giordano's is excellent. Fantastic deepdish pizza. DON'T get starters or you'll never finish your pizza!

Also didn't go to any nightclubs. Found some great bars and had a really good time there.

We stayed in the Sheraton, just off Michegan avenue and on the river. Superb location and cheap too as our original booking got messed up and we were put here to make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Thanks all some good advise were 27 so we want to just have a good time over there go a bit mad but see the place aswell, least i know know where to go we are going to cubs game on the 3rd all the other teams are playing away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Just across the road from the Chicago Tribune, you will see some steps down to a street, on a lower level. Where it passes under Michigan, there is a small pub. Looks Krap, but its where all the newspaper hacks used to hang out. Spend an hour reading the atricles on the wall, from the 40's and 50's. Really friendly place, and the best hamburger in town. Don't be put off when you walk in, looks dingy, but a great Bar, can't remember it's name..sorry.

Navy pier is a bit tacky, but there is a free shuttle bus every few minutes.

The boat trip at night is great value, out into the lake.

We stayed at Hilton, where parts of Untouchables was filmed, good bar after a game at Wrigley Field.

Cheap shuttle boat, from under the bridge, not the one at the Kiosk, you go through the car park, up-river, to the right, about 20 yds. Cheap shuttle to the Financial district.

Finally Chicago Tribune building has pieces from various structures on its external wall, see if you can find a piece of the GPO.
    have a great time

• Advertisement

I was told theres a irish bar called fad in chicago supposed to be brillant anyone know where it is?

edit: found it thanks to google haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thomas.melville

Clark Street around Wrigley field is a great night spot, can't remember if there are any nightclubs there but there'e plenty of late bars.
    And it's hopping on game day and night!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

Lived there last summer. My favourite city in the world!
    The city is huge! Good things to see are Navy Pier, Millenium Park, Theres an observatory over by Soldier Field that does a cool show I believe (I wasn't there but my friends said it). Theres the six flags theme park near enough too! One place not to go is the southside, especially on the CTA... never felt so unsafe in my life!

On the going out side of things theres Wrigleyville by the cubs stadium! Great spot but expensive! Downtown is the samething!

Some place though you'll love it!

ya we have alot of things planned out alright to be kpet busy but well eb going on on the lash everynight so one of the main things is what clubs to go to and bars really ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

hey, Im living here near Chicago with the past 2 years and everytime anyone ever comes over, Id find it impossible not to have a good time in Chicago.

I have a friend coming over that weekend from there at home and we'll be in Chicago looking for stuff to do too so if you come across anything let us know! She's been here once before but didnt see everything, a hangover in the morning and out drinking again at 6pm didnt give much time for sightseeing! :)

• Advertisement

well there is a good bit to do over there fom what i can see, well be going out drinkign eveyr night but going beach aswell and going around the city so plenty to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I was told theres a irish bar called fad in chicago supposed to be brillant anyone know where it is?

edit: found it thanks to google haha

Presume you mean Fado which is a a chain of Irish bars that dont attract many irish (lots of irish americans go there), its up on Clarke Street, think its Clarke & Grand. Best area for night life is wrigglyville some good bars around wriggly field stadium, some great Irish bars in wrigglyville The irish oak and Johnny O'Hagans, Celtic Crossings down town on clark & chicago is another great pub, no tv or food just booze.
    Soldier Field is another great area for touristy things the museum there is excellent.

Thanks for the info we are going to cubs game the day after so might hang around there for a while see how it goes looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I'm headin on Sept 2nd too! Good stuff posted

I just have the frommers day trips to work off, so be good to do some extra

OP, where is the Cubs ballpark??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 scrapmetal

Going to be in Chicago from the 14th to 18th of March this year.

Looking for places that be good to see and go.

Where is the best places to eat (deepdish pizza) and go out for a few pints where there is a bit going on but nothing off the charts...

Staying at North DeWitt Place, is that a good location in the City?

Got tickets for a bulls game, is it easy get out from the city to the stadium?

Cheers

We stayed in dewitt place rooms are small but great location your close to everything, deep dish pizza theres lots of places i cant remember name of the place we went to ill find it and post it later but youll be waiting around 45 mins for it to be done and you will have to queue to get in, go to fados irish bar for drinks and food its the best that we found and we were there for a week went every day there for food anywhere else just wasnt as nice i think. Theres a street called davision street has lots of disco bars and small clubs on the one street which we went to alot its only 2 blocks away around the corner you can walk it also check out te ferrari showroom its few blocks away im not too sure what street its on tho we stumbled across it by accident. we didnt go to any sport events as when we went over all the teams were palying away that weekend. easiest thing to do is go to google maps put in your place and get directions on google maps to bulls stadium i dont think its too far.

Advertisement