Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdressers charging extra for blowdry.

Options
  • 11-07-2011 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

I went to my usual hairdressers (part of a chain of well known hairdressers) to get colour done. I was surprised to see on their display in the window 20% off sign plus Vat decrease.

I was expecting to pay about E50 based on previous visit when they didnt have the discount or VAT reduction.

When I got the bill it was the same price (almost) as before.

The receipt showed breakdown:

Colour E55 - 20% = E44
    Blow-dry - E28.50 -20% = E22.80
    Total: E66.80

Last time they didnt charge for blowdry seperately, when they do the colour they have to wash it out so blow-dry is sort of implied. I didnt query it as it was stated clearly on the bill and I didnt know the 20% offer was on when I booked so I wasnt expecting the discount.

I looked at their displayed price list on the way out the door and it listed "colour and blowdry". Is this a new thing? Has anyone else noticed that salons are adding on blowdrys when before they were included by default?

Next time I am going to leave with wet hair and forgo the blowdry, especially if its the full price of E28.50

In hindsight I feel ripped off although they did advertise their prices. Their 20% off isnt really "off" the previous price, its "off" their new pricing structure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bevvie

Unfortunately its probably their way of getting out of the VAT decrease :/
    Have you tried a different hairdressers? Because if its the chain I'm thinking about you will definately get better value elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Many many places are lowering their vat (just so they can say they did) but raising the cost of something else so they can still charge the same. They're on the same level as the ones who didn't lower the vat, in my opinion, just sneakier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

yean i know, i got charged extra for a blow the other day too...havnt had a haircut in years tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

My local hairdresser charges 48 euros for wash, cut and blowdry. On a few occasions, I told her not to bother drying my hair since I'm wearing a helmet on my bike. She reduced the price to 40 euros, so I guess the blow dry is not included in a "package"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bevvie

greenie wrote: »
    Many many places are lowering their vat (just so they can say they did) but raising the cost of something else so they can still charge the same. They're on the same level as the ones who didn't lower the vat, in my opinion, just sneakier.

I'd rather they'd just say straight up that they aren't passing the VAT rate. My local hairdresser isn't (I don't think so anyway - gotta get my hair done again methinks!) but he is very cheap compared to others even with the VAT passed on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 saggartman

This is nothing to do with vat, blowdrys are generally only included when having a haircut, if you had your colour & haircut done at same time all inclusive, if not having haircut with your colour then blowdry is a separate service so has to be an additional charge.
    Anyway do people generally perceive Hairdressers & Salons to be a charity and giving their services away for nothing, there are substantial costs involved in running a hair salon that have to covered before even breaking even,

Advertisement