Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Questions

Options
  • 11-07-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I was made redundant in March, 2 months after moving to a new house (to be closer to work :rolleyes: )
    I have been on the dole since then looking for work and using my redundancy to pay rent/bills.
    Anyway, this will run out in the next few months and I was wondering how difficult it is to obtain rent allowance.
    I looked it up and my rent is above the maximum rent allowed for my area re: rent allowance, as quoted here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Also I don not think my landlady is registered with the PTRB so I'm unsure if she will agree to accepting rent allowance

Anyway, any advice would be great guys

Cheers

HB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭susiebubbles

The CWO will tell you to speak to you LL to get the rent reduced or move so that it is within the range. Apply anyway and see what happens. Get on to threshold as the LL doesn't have to fill out the forms afaik and you won't get rent allowance unless the forms are filled out. It's an extremely frustrating cycle...brace yourself !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

ITs better to ask will she accept rent allowance, get advice from threshold or centrecare or citizens advice centre.I dont think the welfare officer cares about prtb registration,its more important is the rent under the limit, you have to register with the local authority ,get on the housing list before you can apply for ra.
    She ,ll have to reduce the rent,or you,ll have to get a new flat,first will she accept a lower rental rate?Theres no point in applying for rent at flat x if its over the ra limit,you can still get on the housing list,The housing dept is at the rear of dublin city council,building wood quay,see the rear entrance,ground floor,housing dept,as you face wood quay,office its on the left side, at the back of the building,ask at reception for housing department.

Advertisement