Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Surgery

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭apache

Another restless night...
    Has anybody ever experienced muscle spasms and twitches post back surgery?
    For the past few weeks i have twitches/spasms all over my body. When it happens in the back area or buttocks or leg its very painful. When its other parts of the body its painless.
    I notice it more when i'm in bed at night. But thats probably because i can focus and realise the frequent amount of time it happens?
    Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is it nerves trying to heal?
    Must remember to ask about this one on friday!

so had appointment in beaumont private this morning. saw really nice consultant - much nicer than the last one :P
    he spent a good hour with me - all my history and exercises. basically i understand what happened with the last MRI. the radiologists report was wrong. (we won't talk about that :rolleyes:). i do have another slipped disc -but its the exact same one - not the one above which was recorded. its the same one that has herniated. L5 -S1.

the last thing he wants to do is operate. because of the risks and my "relatively" young age - apparently i'm quite young to suffer from this - and having being already operated on in this area with a discectomy he wants to try nerve block injections first before doing the spinal fusion. he drew out a diagram and explained where the screws and rod would go. L5-S1.

i was sent down for more xrays (luckily i had the extra money with me after paying his fee) and was in different positions getting them done. in and out real quick - no waiting around - brilliant!
    brought them back up to him. so they will ring me next week for an appointment for the nerve block.

i'm quite happy to exhaust every avenue first and think hes right in doing so. the surgery will happen if these nerve blocks don't work. although my mother got them (back problems run in family on her side) when she was my age and didn't work and i know others who it didn't work for but best to try this out first before going for the fusion.

but at least i know why i haven't been getting any better. the disc probably slipped out again straight away!

its bound to be sore getting that injection in your spine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Goodness, that must be the quickest re-herniation of a disc ever !!!!! you poor thing, at least you seem to have a nicer consultant now ! OH never had a nerve block, but like yourself, hasnt heard many good reports about them working very successfully. Just before OH went down to theatre for her discectomy, she went to the x-ray dept for what was called 'back markings' and this was some sort of dye that was injected into her spine to guide her neurosurgeon to the exact area of the bulging disc/cyst, now she doesnt know how close it would feel to a nerve block, but she said it was only unpleasant for about 60 seconds plus she has had epidurals for C-sections & knee replacements and they were only uncomfortable for about 30 seconds. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can comment.

Keep us informed as to how things are going and best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

One step forward two back! At least your a bit closer to a resolution mate - had lots of nerve blocks but didnt do a thing for me to be honest - some swear by them and other don't. Fingers crossed it works for you. It is uncomfortable but its certainly bearable. Makes you wonder why they didnt deal with it all at the same time - hopefully you will be on the mend fairly quickly now

well i think everything has come to a head now! have my nerve block injection for 2 weeks time but don't think that is going to happen now. have a few worrying symptoms the past month on and off so when i was at my dr yesterday evening collecting prescription mentioned it to him and he would have liked me to go into a + e that night :eek:

but as i said to him a little while longer won't make a difference but he faxed off a letter yesterday evening from his surgery. this morning i get a phone call first thing from consultants secretary telling me consultant wants to see me at 9am tomorrow morning in beaumont. he is going to run a few tests and pending outcome i may be getting spinal fusion. was told to bring an overnight bag.

obviously my symptoms are worrying but i have so much going on that i think i was trying to ignore them. tomorrow is friday. they will hardly do it tomorrow? it could be done as an emergency saturday? would hardly have to stay in whole weekend and wait til monday? haven't a clue. could even be coming home again tomorrow with no procedure - all depends on what he says.

yes i'm glad things are moving but a bit too quickly now. they all have me worried now.

i don't have a lot to lose and i'm well pissed off anyway at this stage. no way i can return to work the way i am. so might as well take the risk.

the spinal fusion was the last thing he wanted to do but it seems i have reached the end stages now. 4 months now since discectomy. jesus its like a never ending nightmare.

best off not worrying and wait and see what they say tomorrow. easier said than done though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

oh yikes apache. We both wish you all the best tomorrow and as soon as you're feeling a bit better, let us know how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

whats the worrying symptoms? Loss of control type stuff is it?

Just out of consult. I'm now an emergency. He only does one spinal fusion a month so hes booking me in for end of month. Hes still very conservative about doing fusions so is still going to try nerve block injection. If it works i can cancel operation and give someone else a chance. If not i'll still have the option of being already booked in.

Every fusion he did was a success but thats because he is very selective when deciding.

So home again home again jiggidy jig.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Sadly thats good news apache - if you see what I mean. At least they are going to do something for you.

jdee99 wrote: »
    Sadly thats good news apache - if you see what I mean. At least they are going to do something for you.
    Oh yes. I'm happy with the way things are going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 rockyroadblues

anyone ever tried faith healer jim nolan ...the mans a genius ,,,,,,,,,

Howya Jim!

4 posts, 3 pimping Jim.

Faith Healers...should be called predators, prey on the sick/disabled/dying, cu*nts the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rockyroadblues

4 posts, 3 pimping Jim.

Faith Healers...should be called predators, prey on the sick/disabled/dying, cu*nts the lot of them.
    ah no ...dont be like that ...there brillant give them a go they brill :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SharpSpoke

Hi Apache how did you get on, did you get the fusion or did the nerve block work for you?

SharpSpoke wrote: »
    Hi Apache how did you get on, did you get the fusion or did the nerve block work for you?
    Hey Sharp. The discectomy and nerve block didn't work. Had to have the fusion. I have a thread up about it.

Advertisement