Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aptamil-follow on milk?

• 11-07-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

hi all. my son is 6 months old and has been on the number 1 aptamil since he was born.ive seen aptamil follow on milk from 6 months in the shops and im just wondering do you have to move onto this formula at 6 months or do you continue using the since birth??
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I moved to the Aptamil no. 3 as soon as she was 6months. The nurse mentioned it so I bought it. I had changed her milk twice when she was 6 weeks and it was a disaster so I had her usual milk just in case.

But the change was seamless. Its more 'liquidy' than No.1.

No issues so far and she's 10 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

thanks for your reply thats good to no that you havent had any problems with it.. have a check up with public health nurse next week so will ask her what she thinks, i think his ready for the next stop up anyway..
    cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

My man is 13 months now and has been on the number 1 since 7 months when he stopped breastfeeding. Don't see the point of moving to any other one as he eats food now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Our little one stayed on Aptamil 1 until dairy milk at 12 months.

The follow-on/hungry-baby mix made him quite ill and the local health nurse was very anti anything but the stage 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

There is no need to change milks at 6 months just because there is a product on the shelves. If your baby is happy and thriving on the milk that he is taking, why upset the apple cart?

Also, at 6 months, if you haven't done so already, you will be introducing solids to your baby's diet. It is also recommended that you start using cows milk on cereals etc.. from 6 months. I'd think this was enough for your baby's digestive system to be coping with without changing formula also.

My daughter was on Aptamil 1 from 4 months until the switch over to cows milk at 12 months. I don't buy into those gimmick formulas at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My 2 children attend a piedratic doctor because of birth complications. She advised us that once the childs diet is sufficent there is no need for formula past 6 months and def no need past 12 months.

However she also said be careful if we choose to give hungrier baby as it can actually supress the baby appitite for food.

Just giveing a little bit back...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Aptimel one from birth to 6 months, Aptimel three and solids to 12 months and then cows milk. DS is incredibly healthy and full of beans. There really is no right or wrong answer to this conundrum and every baby will be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the follow on milk was only released after they banned the advertising of formula for new borns. it just how they get around the rules.

i wouldn't bother with it.

thanks to all replies, some mixed replies there but i can see every ones point, true he is happy on the formula number 1 and has started his solids so maybe i should just leave him be when his happy, i have found though that his waking at nite hungary, he used to sleep from 10pm till 7am but now his waking bout 4am and drinks a full bottle???.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I have found that babies go through phases of waking in the night, usually brought on by teething.

My daughter is 18 months and getting her eye teeth at the minute. She has been waking some nights around 1:30 and asking for a boppy. She had been sleeping from about 8-8 before this.

I know she'll grow out of it. Babies let you think you have them in a routine and then overnight it will just change!

The joys of being a parent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Was with the baby nurse yesterday for a developmental check of our 7 month old girl and we mentioned this to her . She said there is no point moving the child to the aptamil follow on once the baby is getting sufficent nutrients from her diet ie. solids . she said she would only recommend moving her if she wasnt eating the solid food and was therfore lacking some nutrients. If your baby is content and seems to be progressing well , then i would continue with the Aptamil 1

hi, makes sense i suppose,have a feeling the nurse will be saying the same to me next week.he is eating his solids no problem,so i prob leave him on the apatmil 1 seen as his happy on it... thanks

Advertisement