Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raleigh bike

• 11-07-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Can you replace break pads for break discs. I wouldn't mind getting a new bike with suspension etc. Would only be using for cycling in the woods or on the road

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

You mean can you switch from rim brakes to disc brakes? Yes provided your bike has the appropriate tabs on the fork and seatstay where the brake calipher is bolted on. If not you're stuck with rim brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

It's a raleigh falcon. I'm not up bike cycling stuff. It's a bike my nan brought me before she died. How do I know if I can fit discs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

cena wrote: »
    Would only be using for cycling in the woods or on the road
    That's good, cos they don't tend to go so well on water.
    Bring it to a bike shop and they'll tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Id be 99% sure you cannot fit them. Waste of time retro fitting them to a raleigh like that. Keep the bike original, if you want something with discs and suspension buy a bike with them. A decent bike with all your options will be starting at e350, anything less is a waste of money, even if you are just using it feck all.

I now have a problem. Went and took off the back wheel and had too remove the rear gear mechanism thing which had a screw holding it in place and now I can't get a screw back into it. It goes through the frame of the bike.

Is it needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

You mean you took off the rear derailleur? You shouldn't need to do that just to take off the wheel. Is the screw in question the bolt which attaches the derailleur to the hanger? Because you obviously need that.
    It might be reverse threaded, try twisting it the other way.

If its a bog standard SIS system found on most BSO then , that screw is not so important, you *can* fit the rear mech and hold in in place with the axle bolt. However it is advisable to fit it.

Try screw it in by hand without the rear mech.

I have tried it. still no luck. I have it held in with the bolt. I may bring it in too the local guy. the screw isn't long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Seriously, I think you should take this into your local bike shop before you end up with a pile of parts and a frame.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Seriously, I think you should take this into your local bike shop before you end up with a pile of parts and a frame.

I well do. As long its only a few euro. Don't its the screw that came with the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

If I am right the screw goes into a nut that is flat on one side and has two grooves cut out of the other side.
    The grooved side fits into the slot in the frame and this stops the derailleur moving around.
    If you put the "flat" side against the frame then the screw wont be long enough to reach

Its doesn't go in either way. Its a tad bit small. Just need too be a little bit longer

Ok,bring the nut with you to Woodies/B&Q/local hardware shop and get a bolt that is the right size for the nut and about 10mm longer than the one you have now .
    Then leave the rear wheel off the bike and screw the bolt and nut and derailleur onto the bike with the grooved side fitting in to the slot in the fork.(you needn't tighten it up too much).Then just cut off the excess bolt with a hacksaw so that it is flush with the nut.
    Finally fit the wheel and the tighten everything up.
    If you dont have the "diy skills" to do this (or don't have a hacksaw) bring it to the LBS and they will/should do it for small money,maybe for free.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Ok,bring the nut with you to Woodies/B&Q/local hardware shop and get a bolt that is the right size for the nut and about 10mm longer than the one you have now .
    Then leave the rear wheel off the bike and screw the bolt and nut and derailleur onto the bike with the grooved side fitting in to the slot in the fork.(you needn't tighten it up too much).Then just cut off the excess bolt with a hacksaw so that it is flush with the nut.
    Finally fit the wheel and the tighten everything up.
    If you dont have the "diy skills" to do this (or don't have a hacksaw) bring it to the LBS and they will/should do it for small money,maybe for free.

I was thinking that too. Did metal work in school so not too bad at the diy.
    Oh by the way there is no slot in the fork.

By slot I mean the piece that the axle for the back wheel goes into.
    wasn't trying to be "smart" about the diy skills comment cos you never know what level of skills people have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Seriously. This bike needs to go to a bike shop. It's ill.

Brought in the local tyre centre they also do bike. Bu the guy wasn't there too fix so i'v left it there. The owner was looking at me like I was stupid. I now know not too take it off next time. Well let ye know how I got on when I get it back in saturday.

Got the bike back only cost 5euro. I was trying too put the screw into a hole but I did need too. I was doing it all wrong

cena wrote: »
    I was trying too put the screw into a hole but I did need too. I was doing it all wrong

Schoolboy Error!:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement