Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Stays Running on Sleep

Options
  • 11-07-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My self built pc running windows 7 has the following issue.

The PSU stays running fully when I put the pc to sleep.

I thought it may be a bios setting but could not find anything there.

My specs are as follows:

RAM: 4GB-Kit OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Gold Low Voltage

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440 "Boxed" 95W, Sockel AM3

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 350 Watt / BQT L7

Mainboard: MSI 760GM-E51, Sockel AM3, mATX, PCIe

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Any ideas lads?

This must be a pretty rare issue since I have got no replies :)

Anyone have any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Be quiet aren't known for top notch PSUs. They're not too bad though. AFAIK they use rebranded FSP.
    My guess would be that it's getting hot and it's keeping a fan on to cool it down. How's the airflow in the case? Does it stay on the whole time, like a half hour after sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If it keeps going, update your motherboard drivers and have a look to see if you can make any changes to the sleep states in BIOS.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30124-bios-settings-s1-s3-hybrid-sleep.html

In my experience it stays on all the time when the pc is on sleep. Airflow is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I have a problem with my PC, where everytime I put it into Sleep mode and then wake it I get a BSOD within a minute.

I can't recall why, but I remember thinking it was to do with my Corsair PSU...

The PC has had numerous OS's installed on it, went through the bios a few times and I remember doing a good bit of research on it too, but to no avail.

Could these kinds of minute faults be down to the fact that generally these PCs are made of a whole load of individually manufactured components, which may have slight compatibility issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Effluo wrote: »
    I have a problem with my PC, where everytime I put it into Sleep mode and then wake it I get a BSOD within a minute.

I can't recall why, but I remember thinking it was to do with my Corsair PSU...

The PC has had numerous OS's installed on it, went through the bios a few times and I remember doing a good bit of research on it too, but to no avail.

Could these kinds of minute faults be down to the fact that generally these PCs are made of a whole load of individually manufactured components, which may have slight compatibility issues?
    no, its usually just down to 1 faulty component. before splashing out on a new PSU, id run a very long memtest on the ram, HDD and torture tests on the CPU, to completely rule them out. then you're looking at borrowing a mobo and PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

At the time I would have done all those things, but considering everything else worked fine I didn't persue it any further.

There seems to be a lot of reports of the same kind of problem online, very varied systems too.

Makes me think it could be windows, I never ran much linux on my pc, but I guess it would be worth a shot to see if my PC would crash after coming off sleep while running it.

Advertisement