Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foo Fighters new date in Ireland?

Options
  • 14-06-2011 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

anyone heard anything about any indoor shows coming up.....i thought once u do oxegen as a headline u usually do an o2 gig or something similar... much prefer to see Foos indoor...dont really wanna trek down to oxegen for the day

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea they will do an arena tour prob around Nov/Dec since they announced an American tour in Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

I'd love to see them indoors too but come on. if you like them that much you'll manage the 'trek' to see them at Oxegen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd love to see them indoors too but come on. if you like them that much you'll manage the 'trek' to see them at Oxegen

i love the Foo's but would rather stick a fork in my eye than go to Poxygen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I've been saying to friends they coming in Winter, its inevitable they will play the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Yeah, it's almost standard practice now. In the wake of their Oxegen appearance, there'll be an announcement to say "Following their triumphant appearance at Oxegen, legendary hard rockers Foo Fighters return to Ireland for an intimate show in the O2". Seriously, this stuff writes itself. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Not a huge fan of the Foo's but would like to see them live and I would rather not go to Oxegen. I've a few friends who want to do the pass for Oxegen but if they played the o2 it would sort out a few problems.

Heres hoping they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

scudzilla wrote: »
    i love the Foo's but would rather stick a fork in my eye than go to Poxygen

I'm with Scud on that one....
    was going to go to the Marlay Park gig that was on a Tuesday night a few years back, but I can't stand the place (not the venue itself, but getting in and out can be so badly organised it just annoys me) so I passed.......they seem to be in the Metallica mode here now, big outdoor gigs....

have been waiting for them to do an indoor show for what seems like forever now - when was the last indoor show they did here ???
    have seem live performances by them a lot over the last few years and they really do look on top of their game....

Theres an awful theme around the Gigs & Events where people are more concerned about the venue rather than the act. I know some places are god awful but does the music not outweigh any negatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

For a limited number of people at any given gig, yes, but not everyone is a rabid fan of every act they go to see. Besides, a sh!t venue is a sh!t venue regardless, and some effort should be put into improving them.

NIBBS wrote: »
    ... was going to go to the Marlay Park gig that was on a Tuesday night a few years back, but I can't stand the place (not the venue itself, but getting in and out can be so badly organised it just annoys me) so I passed.
    I have been waiting for them to do an indoor show for what seems like forever now - when was the last indoor show they did here ???

They played the Point on the In Your Honour tour, December 20th, 2005. That was their last indoor show here.
    I thought the Marlay Park gig (August 2007) was killer. I know some people were disappointed with the set list, but a "greatest hits" show is probably to be expected outdoors. Plus, ESPG wasn't out at that stage (it was released a month later) and they probably didn't want to play unfamiliar material.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Theres an awful theme around the Gigs & Events where people are more concerned about the venue rather than the act. I know some places are god awful but does the music not outweigh any negatives?

No :p

I know what you are saying Mon - but a number of things go into the experience of a gig, and one of those is the venue. I go to a lot of gigs and the way I look at it is to add up any reasons I won't enjoy the gig and then go and see where else the band is playing on that tour, if I find a better venue, or a date that suits me better I'll have no problems travelling - for the gig I was talking about Marlay Park on a Tuesday night just didn't suit me at all, and as I dislike the venue anyway I counted that out......Delbert may be able to help me out with this one (as I almost went last minute) but the weather wasn't great that night either........and with the Foo's profile, I had expected to see them here again indoors between 2005 and now.

I've been to all the Metallica gigs here since '99 I think, all outdoors (until Belfast last year) the last few in Marlay Park, the setup has been crap, the sound has been crap, on two occasions getting in and out was a nightmare (depending on the entrance you were using) - counter this with the experiences I've had seeing them in the UK and Belfast Indoors and there's just been no comparison, and lets not forget that we pay a premium here for concerts anyway - so I want to be able to enjoy the show I'm paying extra for.
    Obviously that's just my opinion, and it's more difficult to get bands like the Foo's to play say the O2 when they can play an outdoor venue with 3 or 4 times the crowd capacity and the same ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

They played the Point on the In Your Honour tour, December 20th, 2005. That was their last indoor show here.

I was at It. Brilliant Gig.

NIBBS wrote: »
    Delbert may be able to help me out with this one (as I almost went last minute) but the weather wasn't great that night either.

I think the Foos was a Wednesday night. Summer 2007 was absolutely dreadful, and rain threatened pretty much any outdoor event that year. I'd been at Peter Gabriel in Marlay Park in June, which was a total washout. Having said that, the weather was fine for Foo Fighters, and the ground was solid. The rain actually held off, 'cos I remember Dave remarking as he gestured up at the clear skies: "They told us the weather has been terrible here... check this s**t out!". :D

Norah Jones was due to play the Point the next day, and (even though it probably wouldn't have worked in a big field) I was half-hoping she'd turn up in Marlay Park and sing Virginia Moon with them, but no joy. At her own show, she referred to the Foo Fighters gig several times. She asked how many were at it. Judging by the reaction, I'd say about a dozen enthusiastic people (including myself) responded (not much crossover fanbase, to be fair). It was clear that the vast majority of her fans were completely confused and hadn't a clue what she was talking about, which was just hilarious. Being a pal of theirs, she was at it herself and thought it was "awesome".

The Foo Fighters' set list was: Everlong, Monkey Wrench, Breakout, My Hero, Times Like These, Up In Arms, Learn to Fly, The One, Stacked Actors, DOA, Generator, The is a Call, Best of You, Encore: The Pretender, Keep the Car Running, Enough Space, All My Life

poteen wrote: »
    I was at It. Brilliant Gig.

It Surely was :D , was my 2nd gig ever and loved it

The Foo Fighters' set list was: Everlong, Monkey Wrench, Breakout, My Hero, Times Like These, Up In Arms, Learn to Fly, The One, Stacked Actors, DOA, Generator, The is a Call, Best of You, Encore: The Pretender, Keep the Car Running, Enough Space, All My Life

Ah yes i remember when Dave just came out on his own for Everlong and then everyone joined in which was followed by Monkey Wrench

Yeah, and as I recall, Dave didn't change his guitar for about the first five or six songs. It was just relentless.
    Unquestionably one of the best times I've seen them, that gig restored my faith in outdoor shows.

I can't wait for Oxegen tbh. I don't care if its a wash out/scummer fest/snowing. I could die tomorrow. Dave Grohl could die tomorrow. I go to the first gig available because **** can happen. I know thats a weird way to look at things but I'd go mad if I thought I'd missed my one chance to see one of my favourite bands because of a couple hours of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Naomi_x

They probably won't be doing any gigs here around Oxegen time because they're scheduled to play in other countries the day before and just after Oxegen and wouldn't have any time. My friend thinks there'll be a big gig around November though.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

listen i have been to oxegen nearly every year and seen the kings of leon in slane last week ......i wanna take a break gimme the o2 any day

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

november sounds good to me!!!!im gettin too old to be standing in fields with a plastic cup of pissy beer in me hand.... ive seen clips of the isle of white gig thou id say oxegen wil be cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

This seems like a pointless thread to me the more I read it. Its basically not about any certain rumor on the Foos. Just a bunch of people hoping they play the O2 in winter.

Was it worth a new thread on the forum?

• Advertisement

poteen wrote: »
    This seems like a pointless thread to me the more I read it. Its basically not about any certain rumor on the Foos. Just a bunch of people hoping they play the O2 in winter.

Was it worth a new thread on the forum?

Yes

jazoo wrote: »
    listen i have been to oxegen nearly every year and seen the kings of leon in slane last week ......i wanna take a break gimme the o2 any day

Listen, I don't care

Looks like ill get to see thw Foo's 3 times in 1 year :D:D:D Happy Days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Moster

So i missed oxegen, and more importantly i missed the Foos again. Anyone know if they'll be back in Ireland in the near future? I heard they hinted at it during their set in oxegen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You went through the prefix list and still thought Helpdesk was the place for this? Moved to Gigs and Events anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

Grohl said something about a gig, something along the lines of "We already know when we'll be back and it's not that far away" so keep an eye out for new tour announcements there should be something announced in the near future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

There should be an announcement when they've finished their european festivals about some european dates in November and possibly some more in January

Id say they will be back in November

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They played Marlay in 2007, their very last gig of a world tour and said they'd be back "very soon". So my money's on 2015, even though I would love to see Foos again. I couldn't justify a trip to oxegen to see them.

Looks like they're returning to the US after their European tour, followed by Oz in November/December, supported by Tenacious D.

So if they're coming back it's 2012 at the earliest.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    They played Marlay in 2007, their very last gig of a world tour and said they'd be back "very soon". So my money's on 2015, even though I would love to see Foos again. I couldn't justify a trip to oxegen to see them.

Looks like they're returning to the US after their European tour, followed by Oz in November/December, supported by Tenacious D.

So if they're coming back it's 2012 at the earliest.

The only reason they didnt come back id was because there was no where to play since the point was closed.

So i could see them back in Jan/Feb

Advertisement