Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final build info. Would appreciate some feedback :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

have a read of this thread on how to make your basket look pretty to us, it makes it much easier to read.

whats your budget?

tbh, lots of things change "in a couple of weeks" so your kinda best off asking a few days before the order, not weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Is there any reason you need a 128gb ssd? Would a 64gb ssd fulfil most of your needs, with a 1tb hdd for general storage? You could save a few quid if that was the case, and you more than likely don't have 128gb worth of programs needing instant access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah I was thinking that alright. I'm really only going to game on it so I doubt I'll have more than 30 or 40 gigs tied up at any one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

64GB is more than enough to install Windows 7 with your most common used programs and maybe even a game or two. So you could cut the SSD back and get a nice 1TB Samsung F3. And personally I would advise you to get a HDD with the build even if it's just 500GB or 250GB because they are so cheap and worth the piece of mind imo.

But having a 128GB SSD has it's benefits also. For one, the bigger your SSD the faster the drive is. But having that extra space on my boot drive I think is important as I would like to place ALL my programs onto it without worrying about space.

With your build you could cut back in other places to get the cash for a HDD if you did want to keep the bigger SSD. For example do you really need a z68 mobo? P67 would probably be plenty fine for your needs. And do you need the Extreme board, the Pro might do you.
    Your Low latencies RAM is more expensive than it needs to be. Some PC3-12800 CL9 RAM would actually be faster than Low latency PC3-1066 CL7
    And in real world usage you really won't notice any difference in the speed of PC3-1066 CL9 RAM
    And again if you wanted to save money, your case is quite expensive. The Fractal Design R3 is a great case, it's cheaper and it's actually in stock :P
    Or a very similar case, and it looks to be a good quality case(might need you to buy a fan or two for it, only cost about €5). http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41084&agid=631

All just the opinions of someone who knows very little, but lot's to think about there :)

Nice. Thanks for all the info :) I was actually looking for a 1600 1.5v ram so I'm gonna go for that instead.
    It's a good idea about the hdd too. I shall return to my cave to consider my options!

• Advertisement

I don't know much about which HDD to get but the Samsung SpinPoint F3 always gets the recommendation here so I'll stick with the experts.

250GB - €29.54
    500GB - €33.59
    1TB - €44.09

Yeah that seems to be the go to alright. It's actually what I had went with in my previous build specs. Seems v reliable. That HAF 912 is 30 quid cheaper and it's pretty much identical! I'm not really interested in overclocking so I think the 2 pre-installed fans with that would be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 daba

Asmodean wrote: »
    Hi guys I know I've been thread hopping a bit here lately but as I'm still only new to this scene I just wanted to throw out as many questions as I could especially as everyone on here is so helpful. I've been humming and hawing over some components but after a lot of consideration and chopping/changing I've finally settled on a build I'm happy with. I know the SSD is pretty expensive but I decided that since I'm already putting so much money into it I want the best I can do.

Just looking for some confirmation that I haven't fudged anything up and all these components will work okay together. If all goes to plan I should be ordering in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for all the help, its been great!

Total build cost: €977.52 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €173.55
    Sapphire HD 6950 Dirt3, 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express €220.36
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W €52.94
    Cooler Master HAF Mini Windows 922M ohne Netzteil €104.03
    LG GH22NS50 bare schwarz €19.22
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €147.89
    8GB-Kit G-Skill Ripjaws PC3-10667U CL7 €62.09
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €179.54
    ASUS PCE-N10 €17.90

Power supply : they have a corsair 600W a bit cheaper than the amazon 550W . i'm not advising against the amazon , but i think the corsair has a better reputation ;) if you want to get more freedom of movement with your pc , try to add a 300 mbps usb wireless adaptor ,it costs 11 quid only ;) the 1 u pciked is 150 mbps ,why usb !! to free a pci slot .
    from what i know if you are a dedicated gamer , then you should have a proper cpu cooler .in that case get an i5 2500 without the "K" .as K stands for intel cooler ,(nothing to do with the performance )
    asrock dont supply enough sata cables 2 with the extreme mobo :confused: add 1 in case u want to get a HDD , they r very cheap €0.58 .
    all the best

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

daba wrote: »
    Power supply : they have a corsair 600W a bit cheaper than the amazon 550W . i'm not advising against the amazon , but i think the corsair has a better reputation ;) if you want to get more freedom of movement with your pc , try to add a 300 mbps usb wireless adaptor ,it costs 11 quid only ;) the 1 u pciked is 150 mbps ,why usb !! to free a pci slot .
    from what i know if you are a dedicated gamer , then you should have a proper cpu cooler .in that case get an i5 2500 without the "K" .as K stands for intel cooler ,(nothing to do with the performance )
    asrock dont supply enough sata cables 2 with the extreme mobo :confused: add 1 in case u want to get a HDD , they r very cheap €0.58 .
    all the best

No offense but you probably shouldn't be giving advice :P

The new Corsair CX series are nowhere near the quality of their other units. The SuperFlower Amazons are more efficient, quieter and better overall units.

The K does not stand for cooler, it means that the processor has an unlocked multiplier allowing for overclocking. The i5-2500k is particular is a fantastic overclocker.

USB wireless adaptors are a worse choice than PCI. The PCI will have more power available, produce much less load on the CPU. You also won't have to reinstall drivers every time you switch USB ports as is the case with a USB card. Some PCI-based cards also have the ability to offload processing data to the network card.

I'm not sure if you're trolling, but I'm going to have to tear your post apart.
    Power supply : they have a corsair 600W a bit cheaper than the amazon 550W . i'm not advising against the amazon , but i think the corsair has a better reputation ;)
    Firstly, the corsair isn't 80+, so you may not even be getting the same level of wattage you'd get with the SF Amazon.
    if you want to get more freedom of movement with your pc , try to add a 300 mbps usb wireless adaptor ,it costs 11 quid only ;) the 1 u pciked is 150 mbps ,why usb !! to free a pci slot .
    Bhuel, there's no broadband in Ireland above 100mb/s for consumers, so that's a tad useless. Probably won't be for another 5 years

"K" does not stand for "Cooler", it means you can overclock it, genius. So yeah, it's all about the performance.
    all the best
    HDDs normally come with SATA cables, so there's no reason to buy them.

EDIT: bloody hell, that's not cool, man..

• Advertisement

I don't known an awful lot about building as I'm only a beginner but I have to say I even noticed a lot of that didn't add up, no offence. I appreciate you're trying to help but I think I'm very happy with my set up now as I have it listed. Thanks for filling in the bits and pieces for me guys :)

I'm not sure if you're trolling, but I'm going to have to tear your post apart.

Firstly, the corsair isn't 80+, so you may not even be getting the same level of wattage you'd get with the SF Amazon.

Bhuel, there's no broadband in Ireland above 100mb/s for consumers, so that's a tad useless. Probably won't be for another 5 years

"K" does not stand for "Cooler", it means you can overclock it, genius. So yeah, it's all about the performance.

EDIT: bloody hell, that's not cool, man..

sorry about the k thing i forgot to type the overcloking remark , and it does make a difference in performance , it's been a long day ...
    about the psu . like i said i didnt advise against the amazon .
    i used the usb adaptor ,and it served me very very well .
    about sata cable 4 the HDD. in case he gets a bulk one from the german site , he wont get anything with it , no cable or even proper manufacturer packaging , just the HDD rapped in some protective plastic . so a €0.58 is not totally a big loss .
    asmodean sorry again about forgettin to mention that i5 25ook overcloks. 25oo doesnt .

No worries! To be honest im not worried about oc at the moment but its handy to know for the future. Im going to get it prebuilt for me too so hopefully that will solve any cable issues. I think the extra 20 to have it put together is fine by me because i dont want to spend so much money and end up busting something. :/ oh btw i dont need extra cooling do i? Until i move onto overclocking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

all the best

Cheers dude, that gave me a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Ouch, that's a bit harsh. Some of the points are way off the mark and I did laugh when I read the "K" comment.

The cables point is fair enough though. Some boards only have one or two. MSI had only one for a while in lower boards but I think they stopped this after people complained.

Do you buy you HDDs in PC World? As far as I remember, every HDD I've bought has only had wrapping and silica gel. Very few online places sell retail versions.

Asmodean wrote: »
    oh btw i dont need extra cooling do i? Until i move onto overclocking anyway.
    No you won't need it. The 2500K will get mild overclocks with the stock cooler, so unless you want to go over 4Ghz you will be just fine without getting a cooler.

Although, if money isn't a concern I would get an aftermarket cooler since OC'ing with the 2500K is very very easy all you need is a cooler and the fingers to press the buttons. This cooler should do very well :)http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25731&agid=669

Monotype wrote: »

Do you buy you HDDs in PC World? As far as I remember, every HDD I've bought has only had wrapping and silica gel. Very few online places sell retail versions.
    My Da gets them from a friend who works in WD, in plastic wrap, so I assumed them to have the SATA cables with as per usual.. That's actually somewhat surprising to me that they don't...

Sound fluffy, thats cool. That was my last question. Im locking the specs down now. Final answer!

Sorry to bump this thread again but I'm assuming that the "Rechner - Zusammenbau" option is the one that I need to select if I want it pre-built. I'm assuming so because it costs 20 euros. Even with the language toggled to english this isnt translated :/

Zusammenbau means Assembly, yeah.

• Advertisement

Cool, I thought that. Thanks.

If they don't let you away with certain combinations - e.g., they think your PSU is too low or something, you can actually add it as an item.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=746

They have restrictions to prevent mismatches and to overate consumption for people buying crap PSUs, but if you know what you're doing, you'll be fine.

Ah very interesting. I was wondering would they put together any old build or do they actually have a look to make sure everything works together. Its good to know anyway. Hopefully everything i am ordering is compatible. It should be after the amount of advice i have gotten on here.
    One other thing, they have my monitor for cheaper than anywhere else. Id imagine there'd be no problems ordering it along with everything else to save money on me shipping it from some other site. The monitor language for settings etc would be easy enough to change to english if it is preset in german?

i had received my pc parts 2 days ago and i have uploaded a picture here to show you how they shipped the HDD + DVD burner . the rest was in it's original packaging .
    also i found this video in you tube , it will help give you an idea about the buildin process . you can find loads of these videos there , you will be able to do it with your eyes closed . you can actually go to asrock site and download the manual and have a look at it . also you can do the same with the case .
    goood luck

Just getting ready to order my build today! :D Can't flipping wait. I had to swap over the coolermaster 912 because its not back in stock til september. I'm opting for the Cooler Master 690 II LITE Midi-Tower instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

How do you switch from the SSD to the HDD? Any downsides to getting one, excluding the small size and price? I think the longevity of the two is around the same now?

Any point in the average dude getting one?

Boot times are fast and you only have to wait minimal time for programs to open. When you say switching from SSD to HDD to you mean with the same install? You'd be best off with a clean Windows install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Monotype wrote: »
    Boot times are fast and you only have to wait minimal time for programs to open. When you say switching from SSD to HDD to you mean with the same install? You'd be best off with a clean Windows install.
    Mmm, if you want to save something you've downloaded to the HDD, do you have to save it the SSD first and then move it or can you save direct to HDD?

If it's SSD-->HDD how does that work? Does the HDD act like an external that you can open and move stuff to inside the SSD?

Does that make sense? It's probably straight forward.

The HDD will be a different drive to the SSD. So if you install windows to the SSD the SSD will be the C: drive. Your HDD will then be assigned the next drive letter, so D:

If you want to put something on the HDD, you move it from a folder in the C: drive to a folder in the D: drive, simple as that.

With some of the folders in your User folder you can change the actual location of where they store their data. So for the Music, Pictures, Document, Downloads folder and a few others, you can right click the folder, choose the Location tab and pick a folder on the HDD to store the contents of that folder. This is useful as most programs will use those folders as default for storing some data, so moving these folders to your HDD in this manner means that you can save space on your SSD without interrupting or messing with any applications.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that fluffy. I partitioned the second hdd so now im all set! Already have most of the ssd full with the os and a fair few games. Sweet jesus the boot up is fantastic though. Ive never had a computer before with a fully usable desktop on start up. Game loading times are brilliant too. I love it!

Advertisement