Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Laser

• 11-07-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a green laser from dealextreme for pointing out stars in the sky. Has anyone any experience in purchasing from Dealextreme? Did the order make it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I bought one last month and it arrived without a problem.

Just to note (taken from airsoft charter)
    To be legal they must be
    -lasers of less than 5mw
    -in the light frequencies of 630 to 680nm

Not sure what mine is exactly but its bright enough to see the beam.

Be very careful as these lasers are powerful. It was in the news last month of a man in Dublin arrested for shining one at a garda helicopter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

This is an on going problem in the airport area. Commercial airlines are being attacked by people using these on pilots. That's why it has become an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

Thanks for the replies. I was looking to get one at or over the 5mW mark. Not one of the crazy ones that burn. Just one that produces a good strong beam for pointing out stars in the sky.

Do you think one under 100mW will arrive here without an issue?

T0mmyM wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I was looking to get one at or over the 5mW mark. Not one of the crazy ones that burn. Just one that produces a good strong beam for pointing out stars in the sky.

Do you think one under 100mW will arrive here without an issue?

no idea - customs may have cracked down on them recently. you don't need 100mw to point out stars in sky - 20mw will do fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I was looking at these the other night on dealextreme as well. Apparently they just look like a pen to the import scanners and unless the box specifically says the strength, customs don't have the technology to test the laser strength. I read that on a California based forum but if they don't have the technology, we hardly do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

I hope there isn't a problem with the one I ordered then. It's a bit bulkier than the pen style. Looks more like a flashlight. I got one with a key safety just incase the kids find it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/sd-301-focusable-50mw-532nm-green-laser-pen-pointer-with-battery-set-1-18650-50186

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Seto_Kaiba

I bought one back in March. Was buying some stuff for airsoft guns and the laser was 8 dollars for 50 MW so I bought it. Don't see why you need it that powerful or more powerful. My friend has a 5MW and I don't really see the difference between each. The package I recieved it in said "laser" down where the "listed items" column was on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Just FYI, green lasers, even the more powerful ones, don't burn. You need a red laser for that.

I have a 30mW green laser I bought from DE a while back. More than adequate for pointing out stars.

EDIT: Seems the high-powered green lasers do burn, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Bumblegoose

I advise anyone getting a laser on deal extreme get the 200mw red one. its only like 20 euro and you can see it at night at it burns things soooo easy its class. Just make sure you get a charger for the batteries too.

Advertisement