Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP. Unpaid Fees

• 11-07-2011 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I’m a mature student @UCC. Due to a rough 2 years (along with almost everyone else in the country) I owe approximately 5 grand in unpaid fees plus the upcoming registration fee for 11/12.

Went to talk to the Fees office but they didn’t seem very sympathetic to the whole situation and said i can’t continue into 3rd year until this is paid in full.

Credit union and Bank have basically said it is very unlikely they can give me a loan because of my income level (or lack thereof) and credit history. I have thought about borrowing from ‘private’ lenders but the 20+% interest rates and very scary stories about collection policies have more or less ruled that out.

Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions please?:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Often student unions in third level colleges have people that give advice on this sort of thing. I don't know what the title would be - like welfare officer or something. It might be an issue that you can discuss with a tutor. Basically you need to find info. on every type of grant/emergency/hardship fund available to you. Sorry I can't give you that but they are the people I would suggest talking to. I'm slightly guessing now, but I think the tutor would be a good option, because if it is necessary that you take a year out to earn or whatever, they can give advice on deadlines/procedures/rules I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ruigoord

Thanks whydoibother.

It is looking more and more likely that I may have to defer the course to earn whatever for course fees.

I’m receiving the Back to Education Scheme Allowance. It was difficult to get and I would not be able to be here if i dint have it. I would loose this if I take a break from college to earn the unpaid fees necessary to continue the course. I would not be able to stay in education without this in the current climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

One thing I will say is just make sure you contact all the people who are there in the college to give you this sort of advice because there can be funds etc. set up for students in unexpected financial difficulty. I don't want to get your hopes up without reason, but I've seen it in relation to a person I know in another college. Do this fairly sharply in case there are deadlines.

Also, if you do end up working for a year or whatever, you may be in a stronger position to apply for a bank loan should you need it, because I'm assuming it would then be for a smaller amount. Try all banks (legit high street only of course).

I hope it all works out for you. I think the more qualified people you speak to in relation to this the better. More heads equals more solutions/ideas generated.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Have you applied to the Student Assistance Fund in the past? It's not much but it may alleviate the pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Ruigoord wrote: »
    Thanks whydoibother.

It is looking more and more likely that I may have to defer the course to earn whatever for course fees.

I’m receiving the Back to Education Scheme Allowance. It was difficult to get and I would not be able to be here if i dint have it. I would loose this if I take a break from college to earn the unpaid fees necessary to continue the course. I would not be able to stay in education without this in the current climate.

How are you getting the back to education allowance and aren't entitled to free fee's?

• Advertisement
Advertisement