Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Only 2 words can describe the people asking for €635,000 for this place:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=647348

"Dream World"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

reni10 wrote: »

"Dream World"

You're not wrong there! That's an insane price.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

I'd rather buy this one and keep the difference:

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=645668

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

"Dream World"

Gotta love a tryer! I still cannot understand the prices some people are still asking for houses/sites. I would have a quick look at daft the odd time during the week for places in Waterford and it amazes me to see the price on some places. I am by no means a property expert/economist but people estate agents/house owners are being very ambitious with their valuations.

I know there is the arguement that people bought during the boom and cannot afford to sell for less.
    However if that is the case the house should be advertised with the current market value for today or else dont bother advertising/selling the house. Otherwise just be prepared to have a long wait :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I know there is the arguement that people bought during the boom and cannot afford to sell for less.

Yes, unfortunately people still clinging to that kernel.
    I think that if people need to sell their house, they cannot afford to not sell it for current market price. The reason for this is because while they may put it up for an inflated price hoping to get more for their property, this will result in no interest for the house, and it will just sit on the market indefinitely. They will then have to keep bringing the house of the price down in line with market factors, if they want to have any chance of selling it. This will take time, all the while the house prices are continuing to fall. So, in order to sell their house, they should ask a fair price given current market conditions, otherwise they will eventually have to sell it at a fair price in 1 or 2 years time, which could be considerably less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 guest1980

Hi All

I went to view a house with an auctioneer in a private estate and he has told me that it is the corporation selling it.

Does anyone know are the corporation usually willing to negotiate or do they hold out for the asking price?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I have heard they are selling a few houses at the mo, probably stuck for cash like the rest of us,make your offer they can only say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 guest1980

I agree, nothing to lose. Would be hoping to get it for less than asking though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Those Maypark Grove/Kings Channel (and area) houses are a joke, must be the worst value properties on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

guest1980 wrote: »
    Hi All

I went to view a house with an auctioneer in a private estate and he has told me that it is the corporation selling it.

Does anyone know are the corporation usually willing to negotiate or do they hold out for the asking price?

Thanks

Give it a go you have nothing to loose. Beggars cant be choosers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Hi all,

In the process of looking around for houses at the moment and Cnoic Caislean has kinda caught my eye. We went to view the house a few days ago and really liked it and the area so I was hoping to get peoples opinions/views of the house itself (eg build quality etc) and the area too. Were approved for a mortgage so its only a matter of picking a place we like.:D

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭twistables

dark shadow are you looking at the three bed or the four bed in cnoic caislean??

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

twistables wrote: »
    dark shadow are you looking at the three bed or the four bed in cnoic caislean??

It would be the four bedroom one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It would be the four bedroom one.

I'm living in Cnoic Caisleán three years now. What would you like to know?

I live in a 3-bed semi-detached so can't comment on the specific house, although I have been in them and know someone else who has been looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭twistables

To the best of my knowledge that street is completely sold, and he has now moved around to developing the street at the back, they will also be 4 beds. Are they still asking €175000 for them??

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

"Dream World"

There's more shenanigans going on with real estate in Ireland at the moment. Mark Keenan wrote a piece in the Times a few months back about estate agents: basically, they're advertising properties at peak Celtic Tiger prices, with no intention of selling them.

For example, if a couple splits up and the court orders a shared home to be sold, the husband/wife might have the estate agent advertise it at 250k, when it's worth half that at today's prices. It'll never sell, but the court can be satisfied that it's on the market (ofc, if some poor fool does buy it, all the better). Apparently a lot of small property developers are doing similar things for various reasons.

I've noticed so many houses on sale for 200k plus - they just can't be close to that in today's market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Trevz

Anybody any tips on searching for a 1 bed apt to rent in Waterford city ...nice areas ,good prices and who is best to deal with as in auctioneers ??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 snausbaby

As these areas are really the commuter belt for Waterford City, just wondering what folks thought of house prices in these areas as they don't seem to be coming down so much as parts of town have compared to the peak; so what is keeping them up - was it always expensive pre bubble?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Trevz wrote: »
    Anybody any tips on searching for a 1 bed apt to rent in Waterford city ...nice areas ,good prices and who is best to deal with as in auctioneers ??:)

Whatever you do dont go to HUTCHINSONS! I had an Awful experience with them, I noticed a house was on the rental market for over a year and i said ill take that but not for 900 a month ill offer 800 a month, well she didnt like that, but she let me travel from Kilkenny everyday to see another woman working in the office and everytime we came with a child in our arms she said oh shes not here, 4 days we did that, turns out that she was this supposed lady that wasnt there. absolutely disgraceful behaviour, this was around 2006 so the boom was in full swing and they thought they could treat people like crap, The house never rented in the end nor did it sell, we eventually found out who the owners were and they were furious when we told them that we were willing to rent house but for 800 rather than the 900.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

snausbaby wrote: »
    As these areas are really the commuter belt for Waterford City, just wondering what folks thought of house prices in these areas as they don't seem to be coming down so much as parts of town have compared to the peak; so what is keeping them up - was it always expensive pre bubble?

I'd always have thought Tramore would have commanded a premium, but my cousin bought there on the basis that he got more house for his money, so it's hard to tell really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Has anyone had a look at the cost of sites oon daft? they still seem to be for sale for crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

jayboi wrote: »
    Has anyone had a look at the cost of sites oon daft? they still seem to be for sale for crazy money.

Yea still quite high. Is there anywhere other than Daft to look at for a site?

I dont think there is to be honest, I wonder are the auctioneers just not updating their info on daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

www.myhome.ie might have something

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

mike65 wrote: »
    www.myhome.ie might have something

Yea cheers, had a look there also.
    Seems to me, if you can get a mortgage it couldn't be a better time to build.
    ....I know...li know .... IF you can get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

obriea3 wrote: »
    Yea cheers, had a look there also.
    Seems to me, if you can get a mortgage it couldn't be a better time to build.
    ....I know...li know .... IF you can get one!

It's cheaper to buy than to build at the moment.
    (Especially if you are building according to Building Regulations)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭padraig.od

gman2k wrote: »
    It's cheaper to buy than to build at the moment.
    (Especially if you are building according to Building Regulations)

yes far far cheaper.

This was in the Times today but I cant find it anywhere online. it seemed a bit crazy when put into perspective with the other propertys advertised.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2012/0426/1224315189376.html

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭what recession?

This was in the Times today but I cant find it anywhere online. it seemed a bit crazy when put into perspective with the other propertys advertised.

I genuinely had to check the date that was published to make sure that it wasn't an April Fools joke.. whoever is looking for €950k for that is beyond insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I genuinely had to check the date that was published to make sure that it wasn't an April Fools joke.. whoever is looking for €950k for that is beyond insane.

It seems either like a piss take, or someone has made a cock up;
    Here is the actual property for sale - in Dublin, and it's a block of apartments
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=612481

Advertisement