Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

kspecial wrote: »
    There's no planning on the land, it expired.

Thats good to hear cos theyve advertised it with planning permission with 52 houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kspecial

Thats good to hear cos theyve advertised it with planning permission with 52 houses.

I dont think so, the sign on the site says it formerly had planning and is zoned residential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

kspecial wrote: »
    I dont think so, the sign on the site says it formerly had planning and is zoned residential.

Im sure i saw it online advertised with planning for 52 houses

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kspecial

Im sure i saw it online advertised with planning for 52 houses

I don't know where you saw that. John Rohan is the agent and it's on his site as having previously had planning for 54 x 3 bed units but the planning expired in March 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Anyone know how much the asking price for houses in Clover Meadows, Belmont Rd, Ferrybank, Co. Waterford. What are peoples thoughts on this place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Irishder wrote: »
    Anyone know how much the asking price for houses in Clover Meadows, Belmont Rd, Ferrybank, Co. Waterford. What are peoples thoughts on this place?

Only one recent add on daft and it's €100k for a three bed semi.

Seems about right considering other prices in ferrybank estates.

Apparently the houses are well constructed for a boom development but haven't been in one myself.

There were two 4 bed detached ones in an Allsop auction a year ago that sold for less than 100k each and needed little to finish them. They were a bargain and at the start of the estate where everything is finished off (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Thanks for the reply, i was actually thinking of buying one of the new houses, according to the link below they are open to negotiation.

http://www.daft.ie/searchnew_development.daft?id=8257

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Irishder wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, i was actually thinking of buying one of the new houses, according to the link below they are open to negotiation.

http://www.daft.ie/searchnew_development.daft?id=8257

Didn't see that ad before. If the showhouse is still available it looks nicely finished!

Be interested to know what the prices are if you do contact them (purely cos I'm nosy not because I want to buy one!)

Best of luck if you do go ahead with one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

Residents bias here now- Its a lovely estate. Very quiet, so close to aldi at the top of the road and town only 5 minutes away. And still feels kind of rural. Thankfully my neighbours are nice too.

Biggest problem I see is that the estate hasn't been taken over by council yet, so things light streetlighting simply don't get fixed. The road is not swept by the council either, so alot of silt from the rain has built up on the edges of the roads with weeds and stuff. The road is in fairly good condition especially compared to some of the other boomtime estates, but the estate only really began to be occupied in the last two years so time will tell. Also there is no residents association yet, to manage things like maintaining the green, tends to be left grow very long before being cut.

The houses are really well built, steelframe insulated panels, and efficient gas boiler, mine has a very low heating bill, the house stays warm. They are also spacious, but as they are all different sizes I cant speak for all of them. The 3 bed semis seem fairly standard in size.

Another issue I had was getting approval for mortgage as the house had no kitchen and you cant get insurance for a house without a kitchen (?don't ask me why?) and you cant get a mortgage without insurance. They sorted it in the end but it did delay things. So after buying the house there is a fair bit to spent on fitting them out. I suppose if you bought one second hand it would have everything like floors kitchen etc. but from what I saw online a few have had the cheapest of the cheapest stuff put in, probably for rental market.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

My opinion of clover meadows as per my response to bilibob in post 223 still stands, I lived there and hated it, I now live elsewhere in Ferrybank but regularly walk around clover meadows and it still the same (bar the houses on the front) the place is just run down and a renters paradise.

I also mentioned 13 months ago that the "Professional Polish Painters" were keeping their commercial and clients rubbish outside in a common parking space this still seems to be the case albeit they are now using a trailer.

FYI for what its worth I was speaking to the council last week and this estate is being taken in charge, apparently the new fencing was all part of the program.

Op take a regular walk or drive around the place at different times of the day and night , you will soon get a feel for the place.

Ref the show house - that was rented out until recently - hence I doubt them pictures are upto date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

Even though I live there I can't honestly say I know what the back of the estate is like. Seems grand when walking the dog though. Thats great to hear the council will be taking it over soon. Meant to contact them a few times, but never got around to it. Are they approachable?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Anyone know much about Grantstown Park? Prices seem lower than estates nearby, that could be just be because the houses I'm looking at are a bit smaller but it seems nice there. I wonder what the quality of construction was like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Just curious if anyone out there is in the process of buying? Sick of the propaganda being spouted from dublin based media about irish property recovery when in fact it's exclusive to dublin only.
    Send a camera crew to waterford and do a piece on the property market here...I'd be very interested in how you can spin that positively.
    Maybe the old classic "the rate of decline is decreasing" might be rolled out.
    No estate agents posts please!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

I am in the process of buying I have been looking awhile but only now ready to go etc . I have been keeping a eye on things and there is a short supply of houses in the area I want etc . Prices have increased slightly and property is selling . Of course there are still people out there with unrealistic expectations etc .

Ah yeah I agree about some people and expectations. Personally I think current prices aren't bad, would just like to see the local economy being a bit more buoyant. If it's a house for life you're looking for it should only matter that it's within your budget at the time of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Agree very happy with current prices and at the minute affordable in my case . Did worry that a year down the line things might start to rise like Dublin due to lack of supply etc so have decided to make a move

Don't see lack of supply being a problem for the next 5 years as waterford has little or no reason behind a population increase. ..the opposite if anything unfortunately....seeing as the typical house buying age group are inevitably affected by emigration and migration to dublin for job reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Has anybody here bought in cluain larach in tramore? What's the size of house and garden etc?

And as regards fan glas in kilmeaden, how are those houses holding up? ( does anyone here own one of the 4bed detached?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Can't comment on Fan Glas, but if you're asking about the quality of Kent's houses generally, they're regarded as building a good house.

I know people who've bought both detached and semi-d houses in Cluain Larach and are very happy. The houses are A-rated, the heating system is a ground to water heat pump, and the electricity/heating bills are pretty good.

The back gardens are pretty much the standard you'll get in any new estate these days, I think planning regs require them to be 11metres to the rear.

• Advertisement

Can't comment on Fan Glas, but if you're asking about the quality of Kent's houses generally, they're regarded as building a good house.

I know people who've bought both detached and semi-d houses in Cluain Larach and are very happy. The houses are A-rated, the heating system is a ground to water heat pump, and the electricity/heating bills are pretty good.

The back gardens are pretty much the standard you'll get in any new estate these days, I think planning regs require them to be 11metres to the rear.

Thanks for the reply. That heating system looks quite good. I had wondered what the unit was on the side of each house. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if they go for a phase 4 out there, it looks to be selling quite well.

I know people who've bought both detached and semi-d houses in Cluain Larach and are very happy.

Did they deal with an auctioneer? Seems like Kent are selling the houses themselves. Was wondering re room for negotiation as property price register shows the houses sold for a fair bit short of the prices online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Did they deal with an auctioneer? Seems like Kent are selling the houses themselves. Was wondering re room for negotiation as property price register shows the houses sold for a fair bit short of the prices online.

The prices in the register are net of VAT. You need to multiply by 1.135 to get the actual selling price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Prices of property rising very fast over the last year. With no new decent housing estates being built in Waterford and the north quays and Michael street developments starting soon it looks like this will continue to be the case for the immediate future.

reni10 wrote: »
    If people in Waterford want to actually sell their houses then they need to be much more realistic with their pricing!
    There are some real shockers out there in regards to prices people are still putting on some houses and they sit there for months and years without anyone even showing a bit of interest!

People need to face it that you are not going to get €250k for a 3 bed semi on the Dunmore Road anymore!(and it should never really have been that price ever but that is another story!)
    And the idiot real estate agents telling people that they will get those prices is even worse!

Realistically I think at the moment a 3 bed semi on the Dunmore Road is only really worth about €125k with a 3 bed detached maybe pushing to €150k.

Anything above these prices will simply not sell and I think within 12 months we will see these prices drop about another 10% due to higher mortgage interest rates, high unemployment in Waterford and uncertainty about Ireland remaining in the Euro.

Simple message to anyone out there now trying to sell is if you really want to sell set the price at a realistic level otherwise don't even think about it!

Had to laugh reading back through this thread. This post in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Had to laugh reading back through this thread. This post in particular.

Dont laugh too loud or for too long my friend. Things went pear shaped just under 10 years ago and will do so again. Its the boom & bust bubble. They said it wouldnt or couldnt happen again. Watch this space. Also you gotta factor in Brexit. And that Trump nut. There's a lot of unstability in the world today which feeds into the global economy. Personally I wouldnt be spending big bucks on a house or a mortgage.

Dont laugh too loud or for too long my friend. Things went pear shaped just under 10 years ago and will do so again. Its the boom & bust bubble. They said it wouldnt or couldnt happen again. Watch this space. Also you gotta factor in Brexit. And that Trump nut. There's a lot of unstability in the world today which feeds into the global economy. Personally I wouldnt be spending big bucks on a house or a mortgage.

Time will tell. 10 years ago we had an oversupply of housing. Now it's the complete opposite and that ain't changing anytime soon. Even when the next recession hits I can't see a 3 bed on the Dunmore Road ever going for €125k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Time will tell. 10 years ago we had an oversupply of housing. Now it's the complete opposite and that ain't changing anytime soon. Even when the next recession hits I can't see a 3 bed on the Dunmore Road ever going for €125k.

In 2007 we had a mad shortage of properties (building housing for people building houses) I'm sure people said the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

there is no shortage of housing in Ireland and the CSO statistics prove that. the problem we have is the amount of derelict and unfinished houses. adding to that is social housing where people want to pick and choose where they want to live.

an example of this would be were a single mother with 3 kids in Dublin is on the housing list, she is offered a house say in the midlands but she refuses because she isn't close enough to family and friends so she continues to go from hotel to hotel etc. instead of having a roof over her head, kids are settled in school, kids can integrate into local sports clubs. if you refuse this you should be told to **** off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gardner wrote: »
    there is no shortage of housing in Ireland and the CSO statistics prove that. the problem we have is the amount of derelict and unfinished houses. adding to that is social housing where people want to pick and choose where they want to live.

an example of this would be were a single mother with 3 kids in Dublin is on the housing list, she is offered a house say in the midlands but she refuses because she isn't close enough to family and friends so she continues to go from hotel to hotel etc. instead of having a roof over her head, kids are settled in school, kids can integrate into local sports clubs. if you refuse this you should be told to **** off

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0809/984012-homeless-dublin/

nothing to see here!:rolleyes:

we are in fact watching a slow, catastrophic failure of housing policies

interesting tweet from ul economist Stephen kinsella during the week regarding housing:

'No new social housing built in Dublin this year. Anatomy of a policy failure'

followed by this story:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-city-council-says-average-housing-unit-costs-330-000-1.3523127?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true

again, nothing to see here!

wakey wakey!

Advertisement