Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

From the above article

THURSDAY, MARCH 28, 2019
    AN Bord Pleanála have received 51 submissions about a massive housing development near The Paddocks in Williamstown, which is set to include 324 new residential units featuring 11 apartment blocks, 95 four-bedroomed houses, 116 three-bedroomed houses, 17 two-bedroomed houses, a crèche, and 657 car parking spaces.

Amongst those who made submissions were local councillors for the area, Fianna Fáil Councillor Eddie Mulligan (supported by Fine Gael Councillor Sharon Carey), Independent Councillor Davy Daniels and Sinn Fein Councillor Pat Fitzgerald with candidate in the upcoming local election, Michael Doyle.

Cllr Mulligan’s 2,500 word submission raised a number of issues such as traffic management around the area, lack of supporting public transport, the height of the proposed apartment blocks and a breakdown of concerns from a number of residents from the area.

Cllr Daniels asked what impact an extra 800 plus vehicles would have on the existing infrastructure in the area and added that “no consideration” was being given to the regular traffic volume and build up particularly at peak morning and evening times in the vicinity of the Paddocks.

The Sinn Fein submission by Cllr Pat Fitzgerald and Michael Doyle, with support from Deputy David Cullinane TD, included points such as loss of light/over shadowing with the building of the apartments as designed cited as being “irresponsible and unacceptable”. They also included traffic and infrastructure, which they say is already at “stretching point”.

It is expected that at least one oral hearing will take place about the development in the coming weeks.

A neck like a jockeys bollox on these so called representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Foxwood are nice houses but the area is rough. Not the most desirable neighbours nearby. Foxwood is only a small estate anyway. Houses seem to be very slow going up there.
    I thought the houses being built behind Musgrave were respond houses but could be wrong.
    A new small estate being built beside Templars hall. Not a great area either.
    Kill St Lawrence is not a bad estate by the looks of it.
    There is also a new estate with just 14 houses going up at the back of Sherlock walk but again not the best of areas and not the most desirable of neighbours.
    Over in ferrybank some nice new houses going up on the rockshire road but again it's fairly small scale. Houses look nice but pricy and would be a great area to live in if the north quays gets developed.

Lots of small bits here and there but not a huge amount of new houses being built and not all in the most desirable areas.

Waterford is a very small place so your not going to get the perfect location by any stretch of the imagination,

Can you name a few areas that you think are desirable and I'm sure we could find problems with those areas, and its up to the people in estates to come together on residents associations to make the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

A neck like a jockeys bollox on these so called representatives.

Whys that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

dzilla wrote: »
    Whys that?

Most of them go through the motions of submitting objections on behalf of their constituents. Some of them will really get behind something if they think it's popular enough for them to be involved with.

Some of the stuff some of them come out with is absolute garbage, and many of them will give out about lack of supply and then go object to developments within their areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another development mooted is on the Ballygunner hill road (not sure of it's actual title) below and behind the cemetery about halfway up - 250 houses outline PP I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Another development mooted is on the Ballygunner hill road (not sure of it's actual title) below and behind the cemetery about halfway up - 250 houses outline PP I think.

Can't they develop in South Kilkenny or even on the outer ring roads?

I know that again would only add to the congestion to the traffic on the bridge but I've said it before about the lack or absence of planning for the City of Waterford.

They are building at Six Cross Roads and Kill St Lawrence, there is as far as I know a ban of building on the outside of the ring road and perfectly right as well. The city has plenty of space inside it left, esp on the western section between the old Cork road and the by pass and back along the river which covers much of Knockhouse and Gracedieu East.

2SSwj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

hardybuck wrote: »
    Most of them go through the motions of submitting objections on behalf of their constituents. Some of them will really get behind something if they think it's popular enough for them to be involved with.

Some of the stuff some of them come out with is absolute garbage, and many of them will give out about lack of supply and then go object to developments within their areas.

Ah right, I would have thought it was at capacity out there, when the schools start out there traffic is mental

dzilla wrote: »
    Ah right, I would have thought it was at capacity out there, when the schools start out there traffic is mental

In relation to this application, there might well be genuine issues which need to be examined. I'd love if some of them even changed the tone of their communications to reflect the fact that maybe they are generally supportive, subject to a few amendments, but the language is always very negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Rents up 13% in the last year in Waterford according to daft ie report out today.

• Advertisement

Paddocks RIP, presumably they'll do a few tweaks and resubmit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Cso reporting that the actual selling price of properties in Waterford increased by 11.1% in the year to April 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cso reporting that the actual selling price of properties in Waterford increased by 11.1% in the year to April 19.

A land value tax is badly needed to stop this madness

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

rekdtangle wrote: »
    Fantastic news.

Why fantastic?

Why fantastic?

The houses are needed are they not? Some local construction jobs would be welcome. Job of this size perhaps would take 2.5/3 years to complete, council need to working on proper servicing of the area in the meantime.

What's your issue with it?

The houses are needed are they not? Some local construction jobs would be welcome. Job of this size perhaps would take 2.5/3 years to complete, council need to working on proper servicing of the area in the meantime.

What's your issue with it?

Just because I asked you why it was fantastic it doesn't mean I have an issue with it.

However I do believe that development within the ring roads should be prioritised for the next number of years, and I think the amount of local opposition reflects that.

Just because I asked you why it was fantastic it doesn't mean I have an issue with it.

However I do believe that development within the ring roads should be prioritised for the next number of years, and I think the amount of local opposition reflects that.

OK, fair enough.

Carrickpherris Road is getting developed and agree RE: development within the ring road. Knockhouse/Bawndaw area needs quite a bit of infrastructure before we will see development that far west of the city though, similar to the LIHAF out on the six cross roads is required.

OK, fair enough.

Carrickpherris Road is getting developed and agree RE: development within the ring road. Knockhouse/Bawndaw area needs quite a bit of infrastructure before we will see development that far west of the city though, similar to the LIHAF out on the six cross roads is required.

Had this been subject to planning locally, I think similar concerns regarding infrastructure in Knockboy would have been raised. I just think it's going to throw more capacity issues onto the Dunmore Road and Williamstown - and it's already clogged.

There would appear to be ample land in the likes of Kilbarry, Kilcohan for the 3 and four bed semi-d's which are in demand in Waterford.

Barndaw is near the industrial estates, the city centre, schools and sports clubs and should be a priority area for the Council.

In addition there appears to be a huge lack of apartments in Waterford, particularly in the city center. There are a lot of sites that would benefit from infill, and a lot of commercial units with overhead capacity that could be tapped into. Getting more of this type of development in the city center would help to avoid further urban sprawl and reinvigorate the city center which is a ghost town after 6 most evenings.

• Advertisement

Had this been subject to planning locally, I think similar concerns regarding infrastructure in Knockboy would have been raised. I just think it's going to throw more capacity issues onto the Dunmore Road and Williamstown - and it's already clogged.

There would appear to be ample land in the likes of Kilbarry, Kilcohan for the 3 and four bed semi-d's which are in demand in Waterford.

Barndaw is near the industrial estates, the city centre, schools and sports clubs and should be a priority area for the Council.

The key is the city will only expand outwards as I don't see high rise being in Waterford's near future, developing infrastructure now is what is needed for future growth.. I spend lots of time in Dublin in clogged up traffic so Williamstown/Dunmore Road is minor in my perspective.

If you were living in Knockboy where are you likely to be going, a)town b)industrial estate. A proper school bus system would take serious volumes off the road as would direct buses to WIT and the industrial estate.

The key is the city will only expand outwards as I don't see high rise being in Waterford's near future, developing infrastructure now is what is needed for future growth.. I spend lots of time in Dublin in clogged up traffic so Williamstown/Dunmore Road is minor in my perspective.

If you were living in Knockboy where are you likely to be going, a)town b)industrial estate. A proper school bus system would take serious volumes off the road as would direct buses to WIT and the industrial estate.

Dublin has I think the second slowest average traffic speed in Europe, so not a good yardstick.

A proper bus route from the Dunmore Road/Williamstown to WIT and the Industrial Estate would be a game changer. Dunmore Road and Williamstown Road as far as John's Hill should be flanked with bus lanes, but that would require CPO of front gardens like Bus Connects - and good luck with that.

Waterford doesn't need high-rise anytime soon - but a few sites like the old Gasworks and Waterford Crystal would take care of a lot of existing demand.

Dublin has I think the second slowest average traffic speed in Europe, so not a good yardstick.

A proper bus route from the Dunmore Road/Williamstown to WIT and the Industrial Estate would be a game changer. Dunmore Road and Williamstown Road as far as John's Hill should be flanked with bus lanes, but that would require CPO of front gardens like Bus Connects - and good luck with that.

Waterford doesn't need high-rise anytime soon - but a few sites like the old Gasworks and Waterford Crystal would take care of a lot of existing demand.

Just on the bus route for WIT/industrial estate I would be running the bus away from traffic, going outbound so to speak and then across Ballygunner Cross to Killure Cross and coming back in there and joining the ORR. Run it at peak times.

Ballygunner gets green light for small social housing development, on that site at the junction. So they'll be able to wave to low waged families across the road :)

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/49-homes-approved-for-ballygunner/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Will Waterford people get priority for these houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »
    Will Waterford people get priority for these houses.

Why you moving back quiet fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Not a chance but most of these houses will probably go to families in the country a few years. That's what happens in a city of sanctuary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Not a chance but most of these houses will probably go to families in the country a few years. That's what happens in a city of sanctuary.

Least you've now acknowledged your the quietfella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

And what if not? Will you be wiling to apologise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

As regards high rise, The North Quays development has plans for 75 mtr tower block.

Advertisement