Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are we waiting

Options
  • 11-07-2011 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi how long will it be before we get an aldis & tescos in the twin/towns i'm fed up waiting & have 2 go 2 letterkenny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

2.3333 years. :p

Can you believe we're getting a second Aldi?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spudit

what r u on about we have not a aldis yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

A quick search of the forum would give ya a good few results for discussions on this, the latest being this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Why does Ballybofey need an Aldi when there is a LIDL? Two rubbish shops are definitely not needed. Tesco on the other hand will be welcomed with open arms...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

annascott wrote: »
    Why does Ballybofey need an Aldi when there is a LIDL? Two rubbish shops are definitely not needed. Tesco on the other hand will be welcomed with open arms...
    It is your own opinion that they are rubbish shops. They can be quite good when you are working on a tight budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Why does Ballybofey need an Aldi when there is a LIDL?

They are in direct compilation, so anywhere one opens, the other will open also. But they are not owned by brothers who fell out years ago (as i did believe up-until awhile ago:o)
    Two rubbish shops are definitely not needed

If you dont like them, dont shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Tesco on the other hand will be welcomed with open arms...

the planning objections would suggest not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Senna wrote: »
    They are in direct compilation, so anywhere one opens, the other will open also. But they are not owned by brothers who fell out years ago (as i did believe up-until awhile ago:o)

So that story isn't true?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Where lidl opens Aldi doesn't follow. Bundoran and Donegal Town are just two examples. I think Twin Town probably has it's quota of supermarkets now. I really can't see there being room (economically) for another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Bob Z wrote: »
    So that story isn't true?

I think people heard the story of the German brothers who set up ADIDAS but then split and the other set up PUMA and they never spoke to each other ever and when one opened a shop/factory the othe soon followed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Funny enough since Lidl opened in Ballybofey, I have not spent a cent in Letterkenny or Strabane. Thats not to say that I do my entire shopping in Lidl - I find that I now can get everything I need at a reasonable price in the Twin Towns by shopping between 3/4 local shops and a local butchers for near enough the same price.

And a follow up to the off topic discussion on this thread - Aldi was started by two brothers in the 60's, who did fall out but set up separate companies that continue to share the same Aldi logo and suppliers. Lidl has no connection with Aldi. Read about them here.

Lidl was set up by members of the Swartz family. Markt is the German for 'market' and 'swartz' in German means 'black'. so, not wanting to call their company 'Swartz Markt', or 'Black Market', they paid for the use of the surname of a friend, who was a retired teacher named Lidl.
    Read about it here.

Advertisement