Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Hard Tail Mountain Bike should I buy? €1k to spend

Options
  • 11-07-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Do a bit of road cycling and do some weekly races but now want to also get a hard tail MTB for commuting in Dublin and to do some off roading, both on tarmac and dirt around forests and trails.

I'm 6' 1" and 32" inside leg, so probably looking at a 18.5" bike or so.

To date I have seen a Giant XTC 3, a Cube Ltd Race and a Trek 6300 and 6500. Sales guy recommending the Cube Ltd Race, but not gone on the colours etc. Dont know what the resale is like. It has FOX front shocks.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

RedRobert wrote: »
    Do a bit of road cycling and do some weekly races but now want to also get a hard tail MTB for commuting in Dublin and to do some off roading, both on tarmac and dirt around forests and trails.

I'm 6' 1" and 32" inside leg, so probably looking at a 18.5" bike or so.

To date I have seen a Giant XTC 3, a Cube Ltd Race and a Trek 6300 and 6500. Sales guy recommending the Cube Ltd Race, but not gone on the colours etc. Dont know what the resale is like. It has FOX front shocks.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ro

sorry can' help with advice - can I just ask which shop(s) you were looking in that had these priced at €1000 as looking around myself at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RedRobert

brian1976 wrote: »
    sorry can' help with advice - can I just ask which shop(s) you were looking in that had these priced at €1000 as looking around myself at the mo?

Hi

was in cyclebike in Dublin today - probably a little over the €1k mark here but not much, maybe 150 yoyos or 200

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

at 6'1 your looking at more like a 19.5"

Cubes suck so if your limited to €1k go for this: http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2054 Its online ordering only but is best value/spec...

Otherwise go for the Giant XTC, good solid bike..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The cubes are nice bikes, if its only the colours putting you off then move up a model or down one for different colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

There's really very little to differentiate Cubes, Giants, Lapierres, Specialized or Treks around that price point (I don't think Cubes "suck" any more than the rest of them :)). You're as well off choosing one that you like the look of (and that fits you well, after a test ride). The Canyon may be slightly better value because you buy direct from the manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Morgan wrote: »
    There's really very little to differentiate Cubes, Giants, Lapierres, Specialized or Treks around that price point (I don't think Cubes "suck" any more than the rest of them :)). You're as well off choosing one that you like the look of (and that fits you well, after a test ride). The Canyon may be slightly better value because you buy direct from the manufacturer.
    Well said , at this price range especially there can be very little difference between the bikes besides personal taste and how you like your ride etc

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Well said , ...personal taste and how you like your ride etc

This is key. The Canyon by far is best spec. I've ridden the bejayus out of the Focus Black Raider for the past year. Its a great bike.

http://www.eurocycles.ie/MTB_Hardtail/Focus_Black_Raider_Disc/4191_p.aspx

Order the stock model and keep your vouchers/money for the wheel upgrade in 3-6 months time.

Its unclear your level, so have to assume your biketowork and looking at MTB on a more serious hobbie.

Theres an number of threads on this topic in this forum. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I've had that Canyon linked above since December. It's been out a few times on trails and it is also used as my commuter bike so pretty much the same as your intended purpose. I love it.

Advertisement