Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Tab / runner for wetsuit zip.

Options
  • 11-07-2011 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Is it at all possible to get a new tab or runner for a wetsuit zip ?? Or even get a new zip put into one?? Cause I have literally exhausted my options here in galway. Its a size 10D ykk pull tab I need.

I tried everyone of the outdoor shops, the zipyard, a seamstress, hickys, anythony ryans homestore, singers, I also tried cycle super store, nigels on the tuam road but none can help me.

I also rang ORCA in the UK but they said it sould be 30 pounds sterling and the postage would be on me so thats looking at prob 50 pounds plus, hardly worth it considering a new suit would be 120 euro.

I find it very difficult to understand that there isint a thriving business for wetsuit repair somewhere in ireland and that Ive been turned away from everywhere Ive tried.

Also I should mention that all the teeth on the zip and the seams and neoprene ect.. are perfectly intact, its just the tab that runs up and down over the teeth which is broken, if I could even get another tab, I would stand a good chance of getting it repaired.

Anyone have any experience here??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 leroy1

noeleoreid wrote: »
    Is it at all possible to get a new tab or runner for a wetsuit zip ?? Or even get a new zip put into one?? Cause I have literally exhausted my options here in galway. Its a size 10D ykk pull tab I need.

I tried everyone of the outdoor shops, the zipyard, a seamstress, hickys, anythony ryans homestore, singers, I also tried cycle super store, nigels on the tuam road but none can help me.

I also rang ORCA in the UK but they said it sould be 30 pounds sterling and the postage would be on me so thats looking at prob 50 pounds plus, hardly worth it considering a new suit would be 120 euro.

I find it very difficult to understand that there isint a thriving business for wetsuit repair somewhere in ireland and that Ive been turned away from everywhere Ive tried.

Also I should mention that all the teeth on the zip and the seams and neoprene ect.. are perfectly intact, its just the tab that runs up and down over the teeth which is broken, if I could even get another tab, I would stand a good chance of getting it repaired.

Anyone have any experience here??

I am having the same problem at this minute and there seems to be no where to get it done. But I have seen replacement fasteners. A frien of mine brought some back from Holland and tried to set me up selling them here in Ireland, but I didnt take him up on the offer. I have seen them work and they are perfect for what we both need. However he has non left and I cant get the details of where they cam from. I am trying to find out more info and will post it as soon as I know.

leroy1 wrote: »
    I am having the same problem at this minute and there seems to be no where to get it done. But I have seen replacement fasteners. A frien of mine brought some back from Holland and tried to set me up selling them here in Ireland, but I didnt take him up on the offer. I have seen them work and they are perfect for what we both need. However he has non left and I cant get the details of where they cam from. I am trying to find out more info and will post it as soon as I know.

Ok the website is zipperfixer.com give it a go, cheaper than a new suit.

Ok the website is zipperfixer.com give it a go, cheaper than a new suit.
    Sorry that was the wrong thing but this is the right one.
    http://shop.zipclipsolutions.com/shop/default.aspx?lng=ENG&cur=EUR

Go to this link and you will find what you are looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noeleoreid

Sorry that was the wrong thing but this is the right one.
    http://shop.zipclipsolutions.com/shop/default.aspx?lng=ENG&cur=EUR

Go to this link and you will find what you are looking for

Hey Leroy1, glad to get a response off someone, really taught this was a lost cause of a problem. Although im not sure that any of these fit my zip size as it says on the back of mine that it is a size 10D and this website only offers sizes of 10A and 10C but also I see that under the description of the 10A it says its suited to wetsuits.. ummmm.

Also do u now what country this company are based in.. just wondering as I need to get it asap as I have a race next week!

Thanks for the info..

this website excepted my registration details twice and then wouldnt let me log in?? No confirmation email back either.. ur sure this site is safe??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

How could a cursor cost 30 quid sterling :eek:, that's robbery! ...and 20 quid for postage, sure a cursor would fit in a small envelope, I wouldn't expect to pay more than a fiver.

I put some info up before about this wetsuit repair but the kit available is specific to Ripcurl.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056258560

FlashD wrote: »
    How could a cursor cost 30 quid sterling :eek:, that's robbery! ...and 20 quid for postage, sure a cursor would fit in a small envelope, I wouldn't expect to pay more than a fiver.

I put some info up before about this wetsuit repair but the kit available is specific to Ripcurl.

Tell me about it, its madness but the reason being they dont supply the pull tab single and would only supply full zips. But what is even more ridiculous is if I sent them the suit they would definitely have some random cursor lyin around the workshop, they would prob fit that seeing all the teeth and neoprene are undamaged and then charge me full whack, no doubt in my mind about that!! Daylight robbery...

Had a look at the repair kit on ur other thread but dont think it meets the demand in this instance :( Who would have taught such a small problem could be soo hard to fix.

Any other suggestions very much welcome...

this website excepted my registration details twice and then wouldnt let me log in?? No confirmation email back either.. ur sure this site is safe??

Having same problem myself with log in. Only thing is if it was dodgy website they would let you log in then take money off you. I have contacted them so lets see what happens. Think they are either Holland or Sweden

Have a look at zipperfixer.com I think thats what you are looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

@noeleoroid.Seems like your into your sport so might be best to buy a new suit anyway and get the other one fixed in the meantime, that way you'll have a backup suit for these instances when they happen again.

Regards.

• Advertisement

@noeleoroid.Seems like your into your sport so might be best to buy a new suit anyway and get the other one fixed in the meantime, that way you'll have a backup suit for these instances when they happen again.

Regards.

Ive been debating this myself now for a few days ... Maby I should just bite the bullet and get a new suit.... Money being the only barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Looks like you'll have to replace the zip, awful hard to repair a zip on anything, maybe get onto the the manufacturer and they might send you a new zip, but then you would need a repair kit also, or at least the glue. Don't think it would work to well to be honest.

Just t let ye know guys got the zip fixed today... after trying almost ten places in galway and after being told by a seamstress that a needed a new pull tab, I decided my last stop before giving up on it was actually a mens wear store that does alterations on suits .. and hey presto!!!

Turns out it wasen't the pull tab at all that needed replacement but the stopper on the end of the zip that prevents the pull tab just sliding off the end!! so he sewed on a new stopper just made from material but it does the trick perfect.

Delighted, saved possibly 200 beans buying a new suit!!

Hey Leroy1, glad to get a response off someone, really taught this was a lost cause of a problem. Although im not sure that any of these fit my zip size as it says on the back of mine that it is a size 10D and this website only offers sizes of 10A and 10C but also I see that under the description of the 10A it says its suited to wetsuits.. ummmm.

Also do u now what country this company are based in.. just wondering as I need to get it asap as I have a race next week!

Thanks for the info..

Hi
    The company in Holland got in touch and sent me this link. They seem to have what we need http://www.tentspares.co.uk/category/3/ZlideOn

Regards
    Leroy

Advertisement