Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reseeding lawn need help

Options
  • 11-07-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

hi there,just looking for the steps in which to take for redoing my back garden,we got an extension done bout 3 years ago and since then the back garden has been horrible it grows very tall grass like you would see in the pheoonix park,hay like....ground is very uneven too parts need to be levelled off.
    so i want to give it some attention,what steps do i take,should i kill off the whole lawn,rotavate, even out new levels with new topsoil and reseed??? is this the right way to do this what chemicals do i use inbetween the steps to help the new lawn grow,does roundup kill of all existing grass and weeds together or just weeds??anyone have any idea how much ton of topsoil is nowadays?

hope you can help,

eamonn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 clarke85

anyone???????????????
    im doing this myself and its goona be alot of labour so i need to know if im doing it right anyone any input appreciated,

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It depends. Can you post some photos? One of whole area and then a couple close-ups of particularly good and bad patches.

It would be preferable to renovate what you have than start again from scratch. But that will depend on how bad it is. Also, what size is it?

This book is great and can be picked up 2nd hand on amazon for 1p plus postage of 3 or 4 euro. Buy it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0903505487/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1310634248&sr=8-1&condition=used

Topsoil generally costs about 80 euro per ton bag from a reputable source. Be careful about taking free topsoil advertised from people's gardens as it could be full of stones, weed seeds and maybe pests and diseases.

A good time for the work would be autumn so don't sweat it, you have time. But you won't have a nice lawn until next spring. Nothing you can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

In the mean time you could cut regularly (at least once a week) on a medium height. Apply a feed and weed. See how much difference that makes.
    Roundup kills everything. Feed and weed is selective and kills weeds only, but is not 100% effective and reapplications would be needed where there are a lot of weeds.

Advertisement