Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC intermittent tamper ext. bell fault

Options
  • 11-07-2011 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

This probably has been covered already but can't find the answer I'm looking for in the other threads.

I installed a HKC alarm on Saturday for my aul pair (I'm a sparks). Yesterday evening the fault l.e.d. on the rkp showed up an intermittent tamper external bell fault. I eventually narrowed to the 4k7 tamper resistor in the external bell box. I disconnected the resistor and the fault has now cleared.
    My question is, what does this resistor do ? and by leaving it disconnected, will it cause any probs in the operation of the alarm ?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

It works in the same way as it does in sensors, makes it harder to tamper with the devices as the panel is looking for the resistor.

You will need to at lease connect the BHO in the bell.

The problem could be due to a fault on the cable, a loose connection, lid not closing correctly or the tamper switch not sitting correctly against the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What did you do with the resistor? The panel must see 4.7k somewhere.
    It's common enough for the lid not to close the tamper switch on the base, it's located at the bottom right of the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Not much to add but did you put a resistor in the panel and bellbox, you only need one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Jnealon wrote: »
    Not much to add but did you put a resistor in the panel and bellbox, you only need one

Ahhh, that's it. There is a 4k7 resistor in the main panel inside so obviously the second one in the sabb bell box was messin it up . Cheers for all the replys folks

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Ahhh, that's it. There is a 4k7 resistor in the main panel inside so obviously the second one in the sabb bell box was messin it up . Cheers for all the replys folks

It is very strange how you where getting an intermittent problem as if you have both resistors installed it will show as an external bell tamper straight away.
    Good to see you have it sorted now :D

• Advertisement

I don't know if its fully cured yet m8. It's in my aul pairs house & i haven't gone out to it yet. It is funny that the alarm comes and goes with 2 resistors in circuit for sure. I'm just gonna remove the one in the main control box & replace the one in the bell box outside.
    'In theory' it should work !
    I got a reply from HKC today kinda backing up my theory so will report here what the outcome is.

I don't know if its fully cured yet m8. It's in my aul pairs house & i haven't gone out to it yet. It is funny that the alarm comes and goes with 2 resistors in circuit for sure. I'm just gonna remove the one in the main control box & replace the one in the bell box outside.
    'In theory' it should work !
    I got a reply from HKC today kinda backing up my theory so will report here what the outcome is.

It has me baffled as it should be showing the fault if there are two resistors installed, not an intermittent fault. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Good to see you got it sorted

Jnealon wrote: »
    Good to see you got it sorted
    Right guys, eventually got to sort the alarm this eve. Simply removed the 4k7 from the control panel and left the 4k7 on the sabb unit.
    All sorted, thanks

Right guys, eventually got to sort the alarm this eve. Simply removed the 4k7 from the control panel and left the 4k7 on the sabb unit.
    All sorted, thanks

Good to see you got it sorted, any other problems let us know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement