Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a scope abroad

Options
  • 11-07-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

As a matter of interest has anyone bought a scope in another EU country and brought it home as luggage. Does it have to be declared at customs . Is it classed as a firearm part. will you be wrestled to the ground by airport security and locked up for weeks LOL

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

whizkid1 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest has anyone bought a scope in another EU country and brought it home as luggage.

Personally no, but i have friends that have.
    Does it have to be declared at customs

AFAIK No. Once it is purchased within the EU there is no VAT to be paid on it. Worse thing you get hit with is MAYBE some duty. On scopes they are classed as optics, the same as a telescope, and the rate is 4.7%. Again that is a maybe. I think thats exempt also once the item is from within the EU, but don't hold me to that.
    Is it classed as a firearm part.

NO. Optics/telescope.
    will you be wrestled to the ground by airport security and locked up for weeks LOL

Not unless you try to hit someone with it. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ezridax wrote: »
    AFAIK No. Once it is purchased within the EU there is no VAT to be paid on it. Worse thing you get hit with is MAYBE some duty. On scopes they are classed as optics, the same as a telescope, and the rate is 4.7%. Again that is a maybe. I think thats exempt also once the item is from within the EU, but don't hold me to that.

Got it in one! Once it is purchased in the EU it has the vat and duty,etc already paid.Even 2nd hand.
    NO. Optics/telescope.
    And if you are brave enough,you can hand luggage it!Its not a prohibited item of cabin baggage.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And if you are brave enough,you can hand luggage it!Its not a prohibited item of cabin baggage.

You'd want a decent set on you. Flew back from Germany recently with a new sling and a torque wrench in my handluggage and had great fun having them pulled out for inspection at security and me there trying to explain to yer wan what they were.

Me: "It's a sort of spanner..."

Her: "What?"

Her Colleague: "*German for "It's a sort of spanner..."*

*Realisation dawns*

Her (to her colleague): "You're a sort of spanner!"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Better one for you.
    Imagine being told by ground staff at checkin [Ryanair Brussells] that it is perfectly alright to bring a computor repair toolkit on board a flight,and insisting that you do!!No worries that it is full of sharp pointy things called screwdrivers!!:eek:This is happening as well post 911.After much persuasion they stick it in the hold luggage.Then my mate has his his zippo lighter torn apart as it might contain a bomb!Lets hear it for joined up thinking at airport security.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Better one for you.
    Imagine being told by ground staff at checkin [Ryanair Brussells] that it is perfectly alright to bring a computor repair toolkit on board a flight,and insisting that you do!!No worries that it is full of sharp pointy things called screwdrivers!!:eek:This is happening as well post 911.After much persuasion they stick it in the hold luggage.Then my mate has his his zippo lighter torn apart as it might contain a bomb!Lets hear it for joined up thinking at airport security.

What you need to do is get a big marker and write "Hijack Kit" on it and see how fast their enthusiasm disappears. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement