Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asbestos in boiler flue and fire cement

• 11-07-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

I'm new to the this forum and I hoping to get some advice about asbestos in my parents home.

There is a chimney flue in the garage coming from an old boiler (that has been disconnected) that I am almost certain contains asbestos (installed in the late 1950's by the look of the boiler). It's cracked in multiple places and is barely held together by the cap at the top. I reckon that if anybody tries to shift it chances are it will come apart in bits and send asbestos fibres flying everywhere. My auld lad was intent on getting the new boiler lads to knock the chimney down and take it away in the back of the van but I vetoed that straight away. The chances of this chimney collapsing into bits when it's moved are very high!

I want a proper accredited asbestos removal firm that will do a good job and get rid of the stuff properly in the South Dublin/North Wicklow area. Does anybody have any recommendations from people they've used? Also does anybody know what the ballpark price for this kind of service runs to??

Another asbestos related query: I have noticed grey fire cement in poor a solid fuel boiler in the kitchen joining the unit to the chimney. It's in really really poor condition and very dusty. It was a botched DIY job done by the auld geezer a few years ago. Does fire cement contain asbestos?? The internet seems very vague about this? Obviously as its in the kitchen and the fibres are loose I'm concerned about breathing it in.

This whole situation is freaking me out because this asbestos stuff scares the living sh%t out of me!

Any advice on what to do is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Where's Heinbloed when you need him! :D

A certain level of common sense needs to prevail here. Yes asbestos is a hazard and should be disposed of in a controlled manner however the amount you are talking represents a low risk. By all means use a company like if Harrington if you feel uneasy about the situation ( check the price first, might modify your anxiety!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Where's Heinbloed when you need him! :D

Oh that's priceless - as I was reading OP, i was thinking the same thing.....

Advertisement