Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom wifi

Options
  • 11-07-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

before anyone replies please keep it simple, im clueless with technology :o

we have eircom broadband and have no problems until today. the wifi is refusing to work. internet as such is working once i connect laptop directly to the modem which means i have to sit like an idiot on the stairs. i rang eircom who gave me the usual crap (i got from vodafone in the past), sky, house alarm etc. they are sending out a repair guy but god only knows when he will arrive

anyone know what the hell is wrong or is it the modem? modem is one of those lovely, no problem Zyxel 660

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Iceylou wrote: »
    before anyone replies please keep it simple, im clueless with technology :o

we have eircom broadband and have no problems until today. the wifi is refusing to work. internet as such is working once i connect laptop directly to the modem which means i have to sit like an idiot on the stairs. i rang eircom who gave me the usual crap (i got from vodafone in the past), sky, house alarm etc. they are sending out a repair guy but god only knows when he will arrive

anyone know what the hell is wrong or is it the modem? modem is one of those lovely, no problem Zyxel 660

thanks

Firstly to point out that if your internet is working then it is not a problem for your isp (Eircom in this case).

Nobody here can know what (if anything ) is wrong with the router unless you tell us a bit more.

Are you sure your wireless on the laptop has not been accidentally switched off?

Are you still seeing the wireless network name?

Have you checked the wireless network settings on the router?

Is your laptop picking up any other wireless networks around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Wireless forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Iceylou

checked my laptop and hubby's and wireless is turned on both. both wont pick up the connection and our connection is not on the list of connections. i will contact eircom this morning as we didnt connect directly to the modem while i was on the phone to them yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭horse7

have you a friend/neighbour with wifi.if you bring your laptop to their house, you can look at the available networks on your laptop. if you see your friends network wifi ,you know your laptop is ok.so its your router or you will have to reinstall your router/wifi set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

you probably need to do a reset for your router, and configure again. Wireless Channel could make a different too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭DarrenCroker

Iceylou wrote: »
    checked my laptop and hubby's and wireless is turned on both. both wont pick up the connection and our connection is not on the list of connections. i will contact eircom this morning as we didnt connect directly to the modem while i was on the phone to them yesterday

That kept happening to me,when i rang eircom they didn't give much info only crap,in the end i ended up changing to upc and find it alot better and cheaper:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

That kept happening to me,when i rang eircom they didn't give much info only crap,in the end i ended up changing to upc and find it alot better and cheaper:)

As I pointed out above the isp (no matter who they are) is under no obligation
    to resolve wireless network issues.

If they equipment they supply to you is actually faulty that may be another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭DarrenCroker

dub45 wrote: »
    As I pointed out above the isp (no matter who they are) is under no obligation
    to resolve wireless network issues.

If they equipment they supply to you is actually faulty that may be another issue.

There was something wrong with the modem,they said it but they never got back in touch with me or anything so i asked a mate who has his own business with computers and everything like that and he said there was something wrong with the modem,i had quite a few problems with eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Iceylou

thanks for all the replies. contacted eircom, very helpful. sent out engineer to check line etc. modem is faulty. new modem on its way, should be here today.

laptop connected to my sisters network no probs so its not my laptop, big sigh of relief there lol

Advertisement