Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a gun from the U.S

Options
  • 11-07-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Has anyone imported a gun from the u.s ?,is it possible and if so whats the procedure,costs,red tape involved ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

all import of firearms has to be done thru a firearms dealer. they useually do the paper work for a small fee ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It is a common enough procedure and a few lads i shoot with have custom rifles built in the states and shipped over. It has to be done through an RFD, and this post by RRPC would seem to cover most of the points well.

I'm sure other lads will be along and fill in any gaps.

EDIT - Moving to main shooting forum for better exposure.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Has anyone imported a gun from the u.s ?,is it possible and if so whats the procedure,costs,red tape involved ?

I have my rifle at Fergal White at the moment,and he tried to import two AI magazines from the US.
    They where taken by customs over there.
    He got the bottom metal allright,but the magazines where taken.
    He had to get them from the UK now.
    Seems like they are stopping all gunparts from leaving the country at the moment,dont know about a rifle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I have my rifle at Fergal White at the moment,and he tried to import two AI magazines from the US.
    They where taken by customs over there.
    He got the bottom metal allright,but the magazines where taken.
    He had to get them from the UK now.
    Seems like they are stopping all gunparts from leaving the country at the moment,dont know about a rifle though.

I guess its just mil spec stuff. Why didn't he get them from the UK in the first place?, were they cheaper from the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I wont mention names, but a RFD I know went imported a rifle for himself.

He said that the process is the same if your a dealer/individual so IMO there is no need to pay a RFD to do it.

Obviously it isnt stupid expensive or it wouldnt be done but the firearm that you want to import would want to be rare in these parts...

I would say though to try dealerships in europe as they may have what your looking for and it will save you time and possible money as they bulk import.

GH

• Advertisement

I guess its just mil spec stuff. Why didn't he get them from the UK in the first place?, were they cheaper from the US?

I belive he had imported them from the states cheaper before,its only in the last months its been like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

I looked into bringing my rifles and shotguns back from California a few years ago. It would of worked out more money than the firearms where worth. I think the UK would be alot cheaper to bring in firearms. Unless it's a specific item you can't get here then it might be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Trouble is,it is what those anal people in ITAR and state dept classify as Milspec these days.:(Their definition of "parts" is soo vauge that it has people in such a panic that in some cases they wont ship even replacement springs for sporting pistols based on a 1911 design.

However mags,so long as they are ten rounds or less shouldnt be too much of a problem,am looking at a few mags for mine and a few dealers and suppliers [DPMS]will ship so long as they are ten rounders or less.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Trouble is,it is what those anal people in ITAR and state dept classify as Milspec these days.:(Their definition of "parts" is soo vauge that it has people in such a panic that in some cases they wont ship even replacement springs for sporting pistols based on a 1911 design.

However mags,so long as they are ten rounds or less shouldnt be too much of a problem,am looking at a few mags for mine and a few dealers and suppliers [DPMS]will ship so long as they are ten rounders or less.

Fergal White was ordering a 10 round and 5 round AI mag for me,and the customs still took it.
    It has never happended before according to him,but it could be just who you are dealing with in customs too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

US or Irish customs?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    US or Irish customs?
    US Custom

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

have dealt with this company in the past drop them an email they should be able to put you straight www.etssincusa.com also have a look at this link http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1110

Advertisement