Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are they ???

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ziedth wrote: »
    Then there is the worst part, I mentioned this on a similar thread before. It mostly happens in clubs/pubs but I die a little inside when I see a guy or girl (it happens to both) approach someone and they get shot down in some serious OTT cruel way just to make a show of them.

I assume you mean nightclubs. But what about other clubs. If you want to meet girls who speak Irish, go to the Gingerman group; if you want to meet girls interested in literature, go to one of WIT's evening classes on literature; if you want to meet nurses, break an arm.

Most of the girls I dated I met at house parties. But probably most people meet the wives/husbands at work.

How did you meet yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Through friends at the cinema we first met and started going fairly soon after that.

Ya I mean nightclubs I'd say that social clubs that you mentioned would be a much better bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Funnily enough I don't think that much has changed from when we were teenagers. I reckon your best shot at meeting someone you'd be interested in is still through friends. That might be in a pub on a night out, it might be at an event, it might be bumping into them in town. The fact is that your friend has kind of done some vetting for you. More often than not, you'll like friends of your friend so they're a good bet for a potential partner.

ziedth wrote: »
    Ya I mean nightclubs I'd say that social clubs that you mentioned would be a much better bet.

If I was looking for a girlfriend, a pub/nightclub is probably the worst place in my view. I think a nightclub is fine if you want sex, but nothing else.

I don't often go to a nightclub, but when I do girls sometimes come up to talk to me. I'm always polite to them (so long as they are polite to me). But usually I'm just out to have a laugh with my friends, not to chat to girls. Also, people can make the worst impression in a nightclub. Its too loud to talk, so you can only judge the person on how they look. Also they are usually a bit drunk, and so don't make the best impression.

I remember once a drunk girl coming up to me, and she basically embarrassed herself. I wouldn't have liked to be in her position, but I have a girlfriend and I wasn't going to kiss her just to make her feel better. I was thinking to myself that she's probably a grand girl, and if I was single and got talking to her on the train to Dublin I'd probably want to meet her again. But certainly not under the circumstances that I had met her.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Funnily enough I don't think that much has changed from when we were teenagers. I reckon your best shot at meeting someone you'd be interested in is still through friends. That might be in a pub on a night out, it might be at an event, it might be bumping into them in town. The fact is that your friend has kind of done some vetting for you. More often than not, you'll like friends of your friend so they're a good bet for a potential partner.

Yeah, that can work (so long as the music isn't so loud you can't talk). And then you can ask your friend, oh what's she like. And they'll say something like oh she's sound, or she's a bunny boiler.

It best to get to know people when they are relaxed, and not feeling under pressure that they are being chatted up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement