Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place To Live in Kilkenny

Options
  • 11-07-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey guys, I am moving to Kilkenny soon and I want to know where are the best areas of the city to live in?? Also what are rent prices like? How do they compare to other places?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

I live at the top of Patrick Street near McDonalds in a new development. Very very nice area. Close to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It depends what you want, House or Flat. Do you want to be near the City centre, or closer to the country side? Is it just you or your family? It's difficult to advise with little info you've provided

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Lump wrote: »
    It depends what you want, House or Flat. Do you want to be near the City centre, or closer to the country side? Is it just you or your family? It's difficult to advise with little info you've provided

John

You need to stalk people more its fairly easy to tell based on peoples usernames/previous posts :P Going by the OPs details hes a 25 year old male who is a recent business graduate so likely starting to work in a new job in Kilkenny (since hes asking here hes not from Kilkenny originally)

With that in mind since hes in a new job in a new county hes likely going to want to be close to the city for socializing and getting to know the place. In my opinion Parc na gowen or Clongowen are nice areas for renting and close walk to town for a night out. As Mouse mentioned around patrick street area is nice as well.

Robertshill and Lintown are two areas I hear bad things about. I lived in Robertshill myself for a while and to be honest it is grand for location but the houses are not great quality and hard to keep heated during the winter months.

You are a stalker.....

And why would I do the leg work? Not all of us have hours of spare time on our hands ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Lump wrote: »
    And why would I do the leg work? Not all of us have hours of spare time on our hands ;)

* counts number of posts made by Lump and compares to own... *

Lets just say that the time that you put into posting, I put into reading :P

Besides I'm a little closer to the OP in age so can relate more to where hes coming from :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

* counts number of posts made by Lump and compares to own... *

Lets just say that the time that you put into posting, I put into reading :P

Besides I'm a little closer to the OP in age so can relate more to where hes coming from :D
    Limp has posts in much better forums though :D

I have been a member for 12 years, so I don't have that many posts considering that ;)

And I am down with the kids, so bothered!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mossie86

Good Stalking HighGiant1985!! I was thinking a central-ish apartment but that is on a mad pub/nightclub street! What are the apartments around MacDonagh Junction like?? What is the average rate for renting in KK? I would be looking to share!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

McDJ apartments are nice, I have friends renting up there.

There's apartments behind the ormonde hotel and friary street that are extremely central - moreso than McDJ.

As regards rent, expect to pay reigon 240ish for a double room + bills.

if you have a car and are driving to work an apartment mightnt be the best option - consider a house with parking but one to which you can walk while eating chips when loaded.

Parcnagowen / Clongowen probably are just a wee bit far out for a viable beer bus back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

I'm looking for some where close to town, whats the beechlawns area / Johnswell Road like to live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

johnswell is fantastic and has a lidll

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

The apartments in McDonagh Junction are very nice but parking options are slim enough. Patrick Street again would be very central and there's some lovely developments around there.

Arawn wrote: »
    johnswell is fantastic and has a lidll

It's grand but a still fair bit out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

Sky King wrote: »
    It's grand but a still fair bit out of town.

what are the areas that you would recommend are worth looking at and that are close to town?

I don't know because I have absolutely no idea what your requirements are - other than being close to town (which the Johnswell road isn't, comparatively speaking).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Rosehill, bout 10-15min walk to the centre, big houses big rooms, cheap rent

Advertisement