Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Johnny Hoogerland Appreciation Thread

• 11-07-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

JH is the man.

I wonder how the peloton will acknowledge his misfortune tomorrow?

Will other riders give him a wee push to help him if he is struggling!?

Might they let him up the road to regain time he lost due to the incident?!

I can see something happening .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Even if he does take to the start line tomorrow I dont think he will get too far . 33 stitches in his legs and trouble sleeping will take its toll . It will be a brave effort to make it to the feed zone at 77kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

GO Johnny GO GO GO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Jens Voigt has a Johnny Hoogerland poster in his room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

Always been a big fan of Johnny, love turning on eurosport to hear he's in a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

The man is a legend, those posts he broke were concrete and to be cut to shreds and continue and finish the stage LEGEND

Graphic pic beware..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Chuck Norris wears a Johnny Hoogerland replica kit when he goes for a spin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

What a rider, Even if doesn't finish the tour he was won it already, he was won the fans hearts and the riders respect

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Barbed wire has tattoos of Johnny.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

the jensie just joined twitter... he joined just over 2 hours ago and he already has over 17,000 followers. no mention of the Jonny Hoogeland poster yet, but it must only be a matter of time

https://twitter.com/#!/thejensie

but jonny is the man. hope he makes it through tomorrow ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

A brave man for sure, and a really great guy to watch go on the attack.

At the same time....concrete posts ? I dont think so ....... lichen covered wooden posts, I think. He is very unlikely to have survived without fractures of some sort - or worse - if they were concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Massive respect for him no matter how far he gets tomorrow! Its that kind of spirit and determination that makes the Tour the greatest sporting event on earth... Witnessing a guy climb back onto a bike after such a horrible crash and finishing out the stage is just awe inspiring! IMO stories like these do a lot to heal the damage done by years of systematic doping...

Have to say, i wasn't full of hope for this years Tour (mostly due to Contador's presence) but the drama and heroism shown, coupled with incredibly open racing in the first week has definitely changed my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    ..concrete posts ? I dont think so ....... lichen covered wooden posts, I think..

A true legend is born. the exaggeration has started already... in a few years it will be titanium posts with diamond tipped razor wire :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    At the same time....concrete posts ? I dont think so ....... lichen covered wooden posts, I think. He is very unlikely to have survived without fractures of some sort - or worse - if they were concrete.

They were concrete. :mad:

mahoo wrote: »
    the jensie just joined twitter... he joined just over 2 hours ago and he already has over 17,000 followers. no mention of the Jonny Hoogeland poster yet, but it must only be a matter of time

https://twitter.com/#!/thejensie

but jonny is the man. hope he makes it through tomorrow ok.

JH is 11.2 times harder than JV - FACT

I'll defy anyone who says otherwise

I wonder will Harmon finally stop with his incessant slagging off of Johnny now.
    Fncking hope so.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

The TG4 highlights show tonight referred to him having fractured bone(s) as well as stiches, though I didn't see that in any other coverage. Might be wrong, or maybe the posts were concrete!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The TG4 highlights show tonight referred to him having fractured bone(s) as well as stiches, though I didn't see that in any other coverage. Might be wrong, or maybe the posts were concrete!

Yeah, I heard that, too.

He was bloodly lucky they weren't a few yards further along the road when the accident happened or he would have been catapulted into a tree.

He was incredibly forgiving of the driver, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Someone's up and about on their training ride yesterday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Junior wrote: »

Those dressings are really going to mess with his tan lines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

He has a fine arse. I've seen enough of it in the last 24 hours to pass judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

King of the Hills jersey, however high an accomplishment it still doesn't seem to be high enough praise or recognition for his spirit and determination!

Roche said of him..."I didn't find out what happened until afterwards but couldn't help notice the blood streaming down his leg as we caught him a few kilometres later."

Delighted to see that he was out on the bike yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Is that a BikePure bracelet that he is wearing in the picture?
    What are his views on doping I wonder? Apparently he has a naturally elevated level of testosterone in his body.

Explains a lot really.

He is a terrifically exciting rider. The songle best race I have seen was a breakawy in the Tour of Britain when Hoogerland and Dan Martin fought it out over 150km. Fascinating.

Best of luck to him today. Hopefully him and Flecha will be allowed some leeway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

...and blood still seeping through the bandages. Would he be allowed pain killers?

Hungrycol wrote: »
    ...and blood still seeping through the bandages. Would he be allowed pain killers?

about to say there was blood seeping through, doubt he would be allowed them tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

AG2R wrote: »
    about to say there was blood seeping through, doubt he would be allowed them tbh

I think they are allowed certain ones (most likely given to em by the doc from the medical car)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Careful Johnny...there's a barbed wire fence to your right!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

ITV Sport saying on twitter that he was woken this morning at 7am by doping control.

I'm not surprised tbh Takes some man to get back on and finish. Wearing a Bike Pure bracelet I highly doubt he will be doping himself though

• Advertisement

Just seen his interview with Eurosport. Wow what a humble man. "We're still alive and Weyland died". Tears in his eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

Respect to Johnny. Hopefully he will continue on today.

jimm wrote: »
    Careful barbed wire fence...HERE'S JOHNNY!!!!

FYP

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AG2R wrote: »
    I'm not surprised tbh Takes some man to get back on and finish. Wearing a Bike Pure bracelet I highly doubt he will be doping himself though

I don't think he's in Bike Pure. At least he's not listed on their website. It looked like one of their wristbands he was wearing, but there's so many different ones about these days.

He tested positive for testosterone at the age of 18 and was fired by Rabobank. He wasn't sanctioned though, as his explanation of a naturally elevated level was accepted.

Plenty of chat about his amateur days on the Cycling News forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Poor flecha, talk about being upstaged, no one gives a **** that he was hit by a car :D

He shoulf stuff his shorts with ketchup sachets for added effect next time he meets the tarmac. O

Today Raymond Poulidor got to meet the legendary Johnny Hoogerland!

pic210186169_600.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

Raging seen this. Hope he gets the bullet.

pmcd22 wrote: »
    Raging seen this. Hope he gets the bullet.
    I wouldn't give people like that the time of day.
    It's like trolls - DON'T feed them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

hoogerland.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

niceonetom wrote: »
    <snip image>
    Is that actually for real?
    I don't see it on their website. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

well done johnny on all counts.

• Advertisement

Appreciate this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-france/stage-11/photos/182340

and this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-france/stage-11/photos/182347

and this:

Stage 11 Result:

1 Mark Cavendish
    119 Johnny Hoogerland - same time

Johnny - what a guerrier* !!! Bravo !!

(*French for battler)

Makes "shut up legs" pail into insignificance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

macadam wrote: »
    The man is a legend, those posts he broke were concrete and to be cut to shreds and continue and finish the stage LEGEND

Graphic pic beware..
    happytramp wrote: »
    They were concrete. :mad:

They were concrete. Pic 25 of http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/07/tour-de-france-2011---part-1/100105/

Definitely super lucky to hit where he did missing the posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Joeyde

They have to be wooden stakes. If you've ever done any fencing in your life you would get why..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Rovi wrote: »
    Is that actually for real?
    I don't see it on their website. :(

It's there now.

http://stomachofanger.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Ryaner wrote: »
    They were concrete. Pic 25 of http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/07/tour-de-france-2011---part-1/100105/

Definitely super lucky to hit where he did missing the posts
    Joeyde wrote: »
    They have to be wooden stakes. If you've ever done any fencing in your life you would get why..
    1. Loook at pic 26, if you can tear your gaze from Johnys pert waxed arse you can see a lichen covered wooden post between his legs
    2. As Joeyde says, if they're concrete, then French fencers have awesome skills with a hammer to be able to knock the staples in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

I love Johnny, he's on the attack again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Advertisement