Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bale netting/bird netting

• 11-07-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Just see a fellow on donedeal advertising bale netting.just wondering has any one bought from this fellow.what is the quality like as the price is good.Im sick of double wrapping bales of haylage only for the crows to peck the ---- out of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

You can get cheap bird netting now in LIDL which appears to work just as good:)

PS: I will be using white silage wrap again this year since the crows took little or no interest in it compared to the black stuff - something to do with crows associating black wrap with bin-liners they say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

pat73 wrote: »
    Just see a fellow on donedeal advertising bale netting.just wondering has any one bought from this fellow.what is the quality like as the price is good.Im sick of double wrapping bales of haylage only for the crows to peck the ---- out of them.

It will make not one iota of a difference to the crows where you made the purchase or indeed the quality of same.
    The crows will pick holes in any of it unless steps are taken to stop them or in some cases depending on where the bales are stacked, they will totally ignore them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I will be using white silage wrap again this year since the crows took little or no interest in it compared to the black stuff - something to do with crows associating black wrap with bin-liners they say!!

I've used black, white, green and even striped. We always splatter paint on them. I have to say I don't find much of a difference between any of it. The crows are peculiar though, they tend for some reason to ignore certain locations and plague others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

Bizzum wrote: »
    The crows are peculiar though, they tend for some reason to ignore certain locations and plague others!

We've never had a problem with them. Not once have i had to go out with the tape and start patching. Never paint or use cover net either. I draw all the bales in and line them up for wrapping beside where we store them so never have them left spread out in the fields wrapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bizzum wrote: »
    It will make not one iota of a difference to the crows where you made the purchase or indeed the quality of same.
    The crows will pick holes in any of it unless steps are taken to stop them or in some cases depending on where the bales are stacked, they will totally ignore them!

I guess it depends on how you secure it - obviously simply drapping it on the bales won't make much difference but if you can stack them next to a wall or building or indoors etc. then netting can be secured in such a way as to prevent them landing on the said bales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Nets are ok but messy, I'm using a zill cover now, heavy tarps too I guess would be okay

Advertisement