Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lipitor and Type 2 Diabetes

Options
  • 11-07-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

I have a tendency to forget to take Lipitor because it's a night-time pill.
    When I do take it I get mild heart palpatations at around 6am.

I've covered this with my GP, so no need for the mods to panic. I'm not looking for medical advice.

My question is has anyone else had this happen them?

My blood pressure and blood sugar levels are fine most of the time.
    Haven't had my cholesterol tested in a while. I know it's going to be high, but that's not the point here.

Has anyone else suffered heart palpatations from Lipitor?
    Just want to know if it's only me, or if it's common.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lipitor has brought a few of us various types of pain and "fatigue" symptoms, I don't recall palpitations being a side effect for me. I was switched to Omacor (an omega 3 based pill) as I was just feeling whacked out all the time. I moved on to Ezytrol as Omacor wasn't quite lowing the cholesterol enough.

read this it might help for context.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055130657&page=2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have heard of it before but I was just wondering is your GP leaving you on it with the heart palpitations?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have heard of it before but I was just wondering is your GP leaving you on it with the heart palpitations?
    He told me that it just might be my body adapting to the pills, but to take note of when it happens and get back to him if it continues.

I've had trouble with palpitations in the past. The ones from the lipitor are nowhere near as bad as the ones I used to get, so I'm not too worried about it.

They're the slow ones, and only last for a minute or so.
    I used to get they fast ones, and they would last for about 10 minutes. That was really ****ing scary.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I switched to taking it in the morning's cholesterol level did not change

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Lipitor has long enough a duration of action to allow you take it at any time. It's only the earlier statins that had to be taken at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Alan666

I’ve always been led to believe only reason why its suggested as a night time drug is due to possible muscle cramping. I do have experience of the higher the dosage the heavier the cramps esp. in the lower legs and knees. the 20mg I’m on does give cramps sometimes but manageable, while my old mans 80mg cause serious cramps. Again all been covered with GP several times so not looking for advice.

I am however looking for anyone’s input on the following:
    Just back from Spain where I had to get a months 20mg supply while there, into the Chemist, got Zarator (Pfizer’s Lipitor in Spain). In IRL this costs me approx €55 where in Spain €32. So before leaving decided to stock up, only thing was Pharmacist didn’t have enough in stock for the 6 month (again I’m all covered with my GP with twice yearly full blood and liver function tests so not looking for med advice here), so they suggested either Atorvastatina by KERN PHARMA, or Atorvastatina by KORHISPANA. The pharmacist came out from behind and explained same constituents as Pfizers but without the price tag (€9 a monthly box!!!!). So I got a few and decided to try research it now that I’m back but I’m bombarded with sites trying to sell me the stuff as opposed to a healthy discussion on if they are a fairly accurate substitute. I know its won’t be exactly the same as Pfizer are still fighting the last few months of their patent so I doubt its possible a 3rd party manufacturer can match it, but so long as the main active elements are the same I’m happy not to line the pockets of Pfizer shareholders any longer.

I have noticed over the past 2 years, I suspect as they get closer to losing their patent, that price has been falling all the time. Used to cost me €70 for these. So while I’m happy Pfizer developed a drug that can help extend my life, the time has come for me to not pay so much for them.

So, anyone any experience with either KERN PHARMA or KORHISPANA. Legit looking sealed boxes with all the relevant info leaflets (though in Spanish) etc. Anyone? Is €9 over €55 to good to be true????

Advertisement