Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Throw a stick and hit a professional!

• 12-07-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I was randomly skimming the internet, as I do, sticking my nose into whatever forum I happen on, reading whatever thread catches my eye and I came across this post:
    Did you know there are over 230 professional photographers seeking work within a twenty five mile radius of Eyre Square.

I haven't verified the statement and I have no idea who the person is that wrote it, but its an interesting stat, if its true.

And its a frightening indicator as to how competitive the business has become.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

that's alot, i sure hope it's not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

professional photographers or people claiming to be professional photographers - there could very well be 230 people with cameras willing to do photographic work if you pay them.

its not really impossible - but numbers do look odd.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    professional photographers or people claiming to be professional photographers - there could very well be 230 people with cameras willing to do photographic work if you pay them.

I was going to point out the same thing and say it's a nonsense statistic, but then at the same time, anyone with a good knowledge of photography and a decent DSLR is capable of pushing out professional work.

True; Joe Soap with a camera can't give you a studio family portrait, but he can do just about everything else.*

As I said before, photography is a dying career. I reckon it won't be too long until compact cameras will have some sort of SLR sensors in them, and once that happens, the game is up (and looking at the speed in which cameras are developing - harhar - the technology is on the way, Olympus and their Micro 4/3rds are an indication of this).

*Admittedly, I've seen some really terrible efforts from people who've had DSLRs for a while and who market themselves as professionals, but i reckon these people can only get better as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I was going to point out the same thing and say it's a nonsense statistic, but then at the same time, anyone with a good knowledge of photography and a decent DSLR is capable of pushing out professional work.

True; Joe Soap with a camera can't give you a studio family portrait, but he can do just about everything else.*

As I said before, photography is a dying career. I reckon it won't be too long until compact cameras will have some sort of SLR sensors in them, and once that happens, the game is up (and looking at the speed in which cameras are developing - harhar - the technology is on the way, Olympus and their Micro 4/3rds are an indication of this).

*Admittedly, I've seen some really terrible efforts from people who've had DSLRs for a while and who market themselves as professionals, but i reckon these people can only get better as time goes on.

i dont know about that. most non photog people dont care about getting the right exposure of composition and will never even run the shots through a basic PP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I guess it would lso be a wide mix of "professionals", covering weddings, portraits, sport, PR, photojournalists, etc

Many many now claim to be professional photographers, and try to earn a few extra from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Thats almost 2000 sq. miles though, which is one photographer every 9 square miles or so, or a box 3 miles on a side. Assuming they roam evenly within their territory, you'd probably have to identify common routes (pee on lampposts, memory cards placed on territorial boundaries etc etc) and setup hides and traps to actually catch them, it'd hardly be a matter of throwing a stick and hitting one, it's a pretty sparse population.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, that's so sparse as to make me worried about whether they will have a high enough population density to maintain a sustainable breeding population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

i dont know about that. most non photog people dont care about getting the right exposure of composition and will never even run the shots through a basic PP.
    Anyone can hold a camera and take a photograph, that has always been the case, but people always need a professional around to get things right.

I can take a photograph, sometimes I can even be happy with the results, but I'm not a wedding photographer. I know how to fix a leaky pipe, but that doesn't mean I won't call a plumber if I suddenly see large wet patches in my ceiling.

Can you imagine a young married couple being happy with contrast-less, flat looking, images in their album?

In saying that 250 still seems alot given a population size of Galway. While I agree that some of those aren't "professional" as such, its still gives an indication on competition.

It would be interesting to know the stats on Dublin, just for comparison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, i'd like to take issue with DQ's statistical analysis; his assumptions place a significant proportion of these professionals in the ocean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

actually, i'd like to take issue with DQ's statistical analysis; his assumptions place a significant proportion of these professionals in the ocean.

Nikonos ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

This is plausible... don't forget about advancements in under-water camera housing technology that have significantly improved photography in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

dakar wrote: »
    Nikonos ftw
    jpb1974 wrote: »
    This is plausible... don't forget about advancements in under-water camera housing technology that have significantly improved photography in recent years.

Obviously I had, uh, taken all this into account in my calculations. MmmHmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

"Smile! Uh, what are you doing with that stick? Seriously - why are you throwing it at me? Oh...right, your from Boards.ie? I hate that thread."
    steves_shark.jpg

Advertisement