Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone getting DAB from the north?

Options
  • 12-07-2011 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a good quality radio or mini hifi system. Most now seem to come with DAB. I know the chances of an Irish DAB service in Donegal are slim to none but am wondering if any broadcasts from the north get as far as Letterkenny. Anyone picking up any signals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yeah i can pick up a very good signal in Drumkeen on a small house radio and i'm nearly sure someone said on here they can pick it up in Letterkenny.
    I think with DAB you either get a nice crisp signal or none at all. There are a lot of stations, but all UK national and i think local UK stations too.
    You can pick up a small cheap DAB radio in ASDA and check what the signals like before buying an expensive HI-FI and maybe paying extra for DAB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Cheers, good to know. I think I might be able borrow one to try. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Yes. Perfect signal but we are on a high hill and in direct line with the Strabane transmitter (not a techie so not sure if that makes a difference) I have heard that people in built up areas have more difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

You should be able to get DAB radio from Northern Ireland in Letterkenny no problem, sorry I can't say the same for Irish DAB radio.

Be careful when buying a DAB radio, make sure it does DAB+ as DAB radios are not forward compatable with the new service.

Below is a list of broadcasting stations although you will not get all of them.
    BBC Radio Ulster BBC Regional service Joint Stereo 128 kps Also available on FM (92-95 MHz).
    DTR - Downtown Regional commercial service Joint Stereo 128 kps Also available on FM - 96.4 (Limavady), 96.6 (Enniskillen), 97.1 (Larne), 102.3 (Ballymena), 102.4 (Derry), 103.1 (Newry & 103.4 (Newcastle) & AM 1026 (Belfast).
    Classic FM Classic Music Joint Stereo 128kps National FM service (100-102 MHz).
    Cool FM Adult Contemporary & Chart Hits Joint Stereo 128 kps Also on 97.4 (Belfast Only).
    City Beat Adult Contemporary Joint Stereo 128 kps Also on FM - 96.7 (Belfast) & 102.5 (Bangor & Carrikfergus - 2 separate transmitters)
    Magic Easy Listening Joint Stereo 128 kps Networked from London.
    Q102.9 Local service for Derry Joint Stereo 128 kps Also on FM - 102.9 (Derry).
    Heat Radio Rhythmic Music Joint Stereo 128 kps
    Bauer Radio service networked from Manchester.
    talkSPORT Talk & Sports Mono 64 kps National service also available on AM (1053 or 1089 kHz).
    UCB UK Christian Music Mono 64 kps Also available via
    Digital One platform on mainland.

Cheers, didn't know about DAB+! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Have you considered a wi-fi radio? That way you can listen to stations from all over the world.

I hadn't actually! Would it be as good a quality as DAB? I suppose so, if it's all digital?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Depends on how fussy you are ;-) It's like listening to mp3's.

If you go for it try and get one with stereo line outs so you can plug it into your hi-fi amp.

I'm a bussy follocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

You should be able to get DAB radio from Northern Ireland in Letterkenny no problem, sorry I can't say the same for Irish DAB radio.

Be careful when buying a DAB radio, make sure it does DAB+ as DAB radios are not forward compatable with the new service.

Below is a list of broadcasting stations although you will not get all of them.

All those stations mentioned are on the same multiplex so you should get either all or none of those. I think you should also get the BBC National multiplex as there are now transmitters in the west of NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

The Irish DAB service carries RTÉ stations only. They can be received on the DTT (Saorview) service, in areas that do not receive DAB broadcasts.

Advertisement