Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant Alteration

Options
  • 12-07-2011 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

We have received planning permission for our proposed new home out in the country.

As is usual in such locations, the council have included a clause compelling us to create a "parking area" for the full frontage of our property. The 64 metre long strip of roadside land has existing within it, two poles carrying a multicore telephone cable. These poles would clearly become a hazard in their present location as these type of roadside parking areas are often used as vehicle passing places.

We understand the need for the cable to cross our land and are wondering if it is possible for cable in this situation to be placed underground for the length of its passage through our parking area?

Eircom posters, please advise. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

kaizer13 wrote: »
    We have received planning permission for our proposed new home out in the country.

As is usual in such locations, the council have included a clause compelling us to create a "parking area" for the full frontage of our property. The 64 metre long strip of roadside land has existing within it, two poles carrying a multicore telephone cable. These poles would clearly become a hazard in their present location as these type of roadside parking areas are often used as vehicle passing places.

We understand the need for the cable to cross our land and are wondering if it is possible for cable in this situation to be placed underground for the length of its passage through our parking area?

Eircom posters, please advise. Thank you.
    Hi kaizer13
    Not sure but I can find out for you. Can you PM me the address of this site and will get back to you as soon as I can.
    Tony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tell us if the quotation gives you any change out of €10,000 Kaizer!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kaizer13

Thanks for your offer of help Eircom: Tony

Sorry for the delayed reply. I will PM you with address and other details.

Thanks for your offer of help Eircom: Tony

Sorry for the delayed reply. I will PM you with address and other details.

Hi kaizer
    have received your PM thanks. Will chase immediately but may be Monday until I have the information.
    Tony

Thanks for your PM eircom : Tony.

We appreciate your help in this matter and the results are pretty much as we would have expected.

The contact details that you have supplied and an outline of the procedure involved have been duly noted and we look forward to the time when we are finally in a position to commence the project.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

To followers of this thread, I can confirm that following an official request, eircom would for a fee of 340.50 Euro come out to survey the situation and should the proposal be possible this fee would be deducted from the ultimate cost of required works. Payment in full has to be made to eircom prior to the work being commenced, which they "endeavour" to complete within two months after payment has been made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

To followers of this thread, I can confirm that following an official request, eircom would for a fee of 340.50 Euro come out to survey the situation and should the proposal be possible this fee would be deducted from the ultimate cost of required works.

€340 for a desktop survey eh! . Then they will hit you with something like

€3500 to move a single pole

Down in Kerry it is €3500 to €5000 ( see page 33)
    "Eircom charge €300 to assess the situation and they charge between €3,500 and
    €5,000 to move the pole"

Then along came Dolly
    D. Healy-Rae said he had an Emergency Motion on this issue some time ago. He was aware of a case where Eircom sought €20,000 to remove a pole

Now what happens is that landowners are forced to set boundary walls back when they get planning permission. This leaves the pole in the roadway ( but still on your land). As it is on your land you must now clad it in Hi Vis because YOU are liable if a car hits it...not eircom.

It takes around 3 hours work ( and 2 machines) to move a pole. These machines and operator/driver are charged to eircom at €120 an hour so it should cost €360 (plus Vat) to move a pole. They would do it when they were in the area anyway....not when you want them to.

Only last year in Sligo. for example.

http://www.sligochampion.ie/temp/councillors-and-eircom-poles-apart-over-exorbitant-charges-2268834.html
    Clr. Jerry Lundy thought Eircom had a responsibility to move poles that were dangerous to the public. He also thought there should be no charge.
    Clr. Lundy said he knew of situations of poles out on the road with bollards around them, and red tape around them, and even flashing lights on them.
    Clr. Tony McLoughlin said that people gave permission, in good faith, for people people to go in on their property to erect poles and now there was this cost to have a pole moved.
    "I know families who paid €6,000 to €9,000 to have poles removed. I think it's unjust to extract huge sums of money to move poles," Clr. McLoughlin said.

So that will be what you will be told...after you waste your €340. You are . however, liable for putting the flashing lights and hi vis strips on these poles once you pull the wall back unless you want the local compo scum to sue you.

Thanks for your PM eircom : Tony.

We appreciate your help in this matter and the results are pretty much as we would have expected.

The contact details that you have supplied and an outline of the procedure involved have been duly noted and we look forward to the time when we are finally in a position to commence the project.

Thanks again.

No problem kaizer and hope all goes smoothly for you. Any further queries just post me here.
    Tony

Thanks for the links Sponge Bob, they make interesting reading with some very good points raised and opinions expressed.

Eircom may well change ownership again before we need to tackle our problem so who knows what the procedures and costs will be like then?

Advertisement