Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eMobile data speeds ?

Options
  • 12-07-2011 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

I've been doing speedtests at home to determine which mobile provider I should go with for my "midband".
    I can get big speeds from Meteor (up to 3Mb down), but using an eMobile SIM in the same position in the house I seem to get consistently slower speeds (about 1Mb down).
    I'm not sure what's goIng on exactly, whether it's something to do with the arrangement if towers in my area or something more sinister.
    I know O2 don't give Tesco full whack in terms of speed on their network, but then again the Meteor/eMobile relationship is very different to the standard MVNO.

So, can anyone post a thumping good download speed on eMobile ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That seems weird, you'd assume they were the same. (the plot thickens, what are eircom up to?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

long_b wrote: »
    I've been doing speedtests at home to determine which mobile provider I should go with for my "midband".
    I can get big speeds from Meteor (up to 3Mb down), but using an eMobile SIM in the same position in the house I seem to get consistently slower speeds (about 1Mb down).
    I'm not sure what's goIng on exactly, whether it's something to do with the arrangement if towers in my area or something more sinister.
    I know O2 don't give Tesco full whack in terms of speed on their network, but then again the Meteor/eMobile relationship is very different to the standard MVNO.

So, can anyone post a thumping good download speed on eMobile ?

I'm with emobile. I work in Dundalk and live in Meath. In both areas I get a consistent 3mb down and just under 1 up. Dundalk is slightly faster though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Did you ring up emobile and ask them? With meteor here and always getting faster speeds than three or 02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Emobile don't offer mobile "broadband" do they? Meteor may be given priority of data traffic over Emobile if that's the case.

Kensington wrote: »
    Emobile don't offer mobile "broadband" do they? Meteor may be given priority of data traffic over Emobile if that's the case.

They do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is the eMobile sim a mobile broadband sim? If not, your speed with be restricted. Plus, did you change the apn to the correct eMobile settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

They do.

They Don't, the data and broadband APNs are a direct mirror of each other.

When logged into a site to assign bandwidth its just Data & Broadband, no differential between the networks, only difference between the networks is an additional feature on the Sim to force 272 03 to display EMOBILE not Meteor.

They do.

They Don't, the data and broadband APNs are a direct mirror of each other.

When logged into a site to assign bandwidth its just Data & Broadband, no differential between the networks, only difference between the networks is an additional feature on the Sim to force 272 03 to display EMOBILE not Meteor.

I mean as they do have mobile broadband. There is no difference between their speeds

or at least there shouldn't be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They offer pretty rock solid fast data anywhere there's HSPA coverage.

I've been getting consistent 7 mbit/s down and 1mbit/s up in Cork.

eMobile and Meteor's networks are basically one and the same thing. There shouldn't be any discernible technical difference between the two, regardless of which APNs they're using, they're all eircom mobile!

Advertisement