Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque lodged after 16 months

Options
  • 12-07-2011 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

So basically I noticed a strange cheque debited from my account and after speaking to the bank they sent me a copy.
    It was originally dated march 2010 but the ten has been changed to 2011 by the person lodging it although it wasn't initialed.
    My problem is that although I accept I owed the money and it was never paid my financial situation has changed so much recently that the money was earmarked for bin & esb charges, which now aren't paid.
    I feel I have to let it go as I think the cheque was for school trips but I'm pissed off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

So basically I noticed a strange cheque debited from my account and after speaking to the bank they sent me a copy.
    It was originally dated march 2010 but the ten has been changed to 2011 by the person lodging it although it wasn't initialed.
    My problem is that although I accept I owed the money and it was never paid my financial situation has changed so much recently that the money was earmarked for bin & esb charges, which now aren't paid.
    I feel I have to let it go as I think the cheque was for school trips but I'm pissed off.

Cheques are suppose to expire after a couple of months (6 or 12) I think? Changing the date should be a big no no imo...doubt the bank should have honoured that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The cheque shouldn't have been honored. If it was altered without being signed its void. It's up to yourself what you want to do. You could make a complaint about it and see what happens. The money should rightfully be put back in your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Call your bank and report it. It's fraud.

Chq has to be presented with in six months. The chq could have been passed to a 3rd party so I'd not bother contacting the person you gave it to.

You should get a refund ASAP. It's classified as an un authorised transaction and there is strict rules about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Agree with others. report to your bank and see why they allowed it through. Any alternations need to be initialled otherwise cheque must be referred to drawer.

Advertisement