Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering for utilities

Options
  • 12-07-2011 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi all,

Recently moved into a new house, of course we had to move the gas and ESB into our name. Wanted to put my gf's name on the accounts as the direct debits will be coming out of her account as I'm paying the rent.

The landlord told us that we would have to wait 21 days after moving in to do this as someone had changed providers or something etc.

Anyway over the last few days I have received bills, one from the gas for €400 and one from the ESB for €300. These are just deposits and will be forfeited if we move over to direct debit within 10 days, problem is I don't want those account's in my name or being direct debited from my account. Will I be able to change it over?

The other problem with this is that I never registered. I called the landlord and he said that he "did it for me". Can that be done? Or would be have pretended to be me? Is that legal?

I have never heard of somebody else opening an account on someone's behalf before, would be great if somebody could shed some light on this, many thanks for reading. Sorry if this belongs somewhere else, this seemed most appropriate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I had this problem before when a super helpful estate agent ignored the fact that I already had an ESB account and kindly opened a new joint one for myself and my partner so yes, it can be done. The ESB wouldn't allow me to take his name off the bill even though they had let a complete stranger put it on in the first place, he had to ring himself!

After quite alot of ranting and raving I managed to get my own account switched to the apartment.

Ring the providers and explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As above, the agents have a tendancy to do this as they know their maybe an excess left over from the previous tenant.

They dont really care and just want it out of their hands and into your name (your mess to deal with etc) Its pure lazy.

Anyway had the same issue in my last place, and I literally had to get meter readings and phone several companies a ton of times with plenty of non ending rants to get what i needed done. Be patient and explain the situation as clear as you can and the person on the other end will help as much as they can. Dont immediately lose the head it gets you no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fiend-Foe wrote: »
    The landlord told us that we would have to wait 21 days after moving in to do this as someone had changed providers or something etc.
    Never heard of that.
    Anyway over the last few days I have received bills, one from the gas for €400 and one from the ESB for €300. These are just deposits and will be forfeited if we move over to direct debit within 10 days,
    Do you mean waived?
    problem is I don't want those account's in my name or being direct debited from my account. Will I be able to change it over?
    Get the girlfriend to phone the ESB with her details.
    The other problem with this is that I never registered.
    Do you mean with the ESB? I'm not sure if its a problem - if you lived somewhere else, it would be a foolish landlord who would put your name on the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

listermint wrote: »
    I literally had to get meter readings and phone several companies a ton of times with plenty of non ending rants to get what i needed done.

Doesn't sound like fun, not looking forward to that.
    Victor wrote: »
    Do you mean waived?

Yep, sorry.
    listermint wrote: »
    Do you mean with the ESB? I'm not sure if its a problem - if you lived somewhere else, it would be a foolish landlord who would put your name on the account.

Yes with the ESB.

Anywhere I've lived before I had to have the ESB in my name, thought that was what had to be done.

Thanks for all your replies, just wanted to know if it was ok for him to contact the service providers on my behalf. Wish he would have asked me what I wanted to do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, what were the actual meter readings when you moved in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

Victor wrote: »
    Oh, what were the actual meter readings when you moved in?

I have them written down at home, don't have access to them now. Will get my gf to call them with the readings this evening and hopefully they can sort it out and get it into her name.

Advertisement