Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling made very awkward

Options
  • 12-07-2011 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

I spoke to Mark here yesterday and he said there should be no problem cancelling (albeit a protracted process) my services with Eircom but twice I rang customer care/cancellations yesterday to be told both times that I am in a binding contract and hence need to pay a cancellation fee of about 9 months service charges.

How can this be as I'm a customer of eircoms for about 4 years and did not enter into any contract 3 months ago. I've been having terrible technical issues - eircom engineer has been out and could not resolve, tech can't resolve fully, I've had credit for lack of service all very good but no reliable srervice - they even replace the modem twice. I need to get this cancelled ASAP.

Mark/Tony have my details from previous conversations and I'm only going public here with this from extreme frustration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Did you recently opt in to a bundle or something similar which may of started the contract?
    I got a new modem recently, I had 2 options, get it for free and commit to a 12 month contract or pay 50 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Pangea wrote: »
    Did you recently opt in to a bundle or something similar which may of started the contract?
    I got a new modem recently, I had 2 options, get it for free and commit to a 12 month contract or pay 50 euro.

The modem was replace twice as bother were faulty. The service is still not working properly. This morning alone it dropped 6 times while I was trying to connect. I did not agree to any contracts with eircom.

I just want to cancel this service ASAP

Yes but did you pay for the replacement or get it free? Just trying to figure out why they said you are in a contract, chances are they might be right.

Yes but did you pay for the replacement or get it free? Just trying to figure out why they said you are in a contract, chances are they might be right.

I was NOT told anything about a contract. I signed nothing and agreed nothing on the phone like that

When I signed up to eircom initially about 4 years ago they recorded the call and it was really formal about a contract being binding. Nothing like this happened when technical services changed my modem twice a few months ago.

Surely I can get out of this contract for having poor service over months anyway. Eircom sent engineers, multiple calls, refunds of fees all took place but still very poor service.

Eircom are just trying to make it awkward for me as they think I will back down and believe there is a valid contract in place - I know there isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I was NOT told anything about a contract. I signed nothing and agreed nothing on the phone like that

When I signed up to eircom initially about 4 years ago they recorded the call and it was really formal about a contract being binding. Nothing like this happened when technical services changed my modem twice a few months ago.

Surely I can get out of this contract for having poor service over months anyway. Eircom sent engineers, multiple calls, refunds of fees all took place but still very poor service.

Eircom are just trying to make it awkward for me as they think I will back down and believe there is a valid contract in place - I know there isn't.

Hi EurasianBadger ,

I apologise, there was an upgrade to the NGB regular as part of a bundle issued on the 15/03/11 which incurred a new 12 month contract to the 15/03/12.

The system I checked did I checked had not registered the change but it my mistake and you are under vontract until March next year.

I will check if we have a recording of the call, to see if the agent advised you of the contract and get back to you in a fdew days.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi EurasianBadger ,

I apologise, there was an upgrade to the NGB regular as part of a bundle issued on the 15/03/11 which incurred a new 12 month contract to the 15/03/12.

The system I checked did I checked had not registered the change but it my mistake and you are under vontract until March next year.

I will check if we have a recording of the call, to see if the agent advised you of the contract and get back to you in a fdew days.

Thanks, Mark

On the day I called I was enquiring about when my line was being updated to NGB. They told me the line was not yet upgraded but as the exchange was enabled he would update it to the NGB line. I said yes to this but I agreed nothing about a contract. In fact this upgrade would have taken place anyway without a contract if I had not called. After this tech downgraded the package in error (this was refunded when they realised their mistake - they said they should have only changed the profile) and I had to get this changed. Perhaps this is where the package change came about but this was not a recontract as it was not agreed with me and secondly it was based on an eircom tech error changing my package not profile. Why would they refund the €50 package change charge then??

2 Modems were supplied to me without asking me to contract. Customer care and tech have refunded me broadband charges for having no service over months so it must be obvious that Eircom have not been providing me with a normal service.

As you know Mark I've made lots of complaints here and my service continues to be appalling. Based on this lack of service can you please close my a/c ASAP

On the day I called I was enquiring about when my line was being updated to NGB. They told me the line was not yet upgraded but as the exchange was enabled he would update it to the NGB line. I said yes to this but I agreed nothing about a contract. In fact this upgrade would have taken place anyway without a contract if I had not called. After this tech downgraded the package in error (this was refunded when they realised their mistake - they said they should have only changed the profile) and I had to get this changed. Perhaps this is where the package change came about but this was not a recontract as it was not agreed with me and secondly it was based on an eircom tech error changing my package not profile. Why would they refund the €50 package change charge then??

2 Modems were supplied to me without asking me to contract. Customer care and tech have refunded me broadband charges for having no service over months so it must be obvious that Eircom have not been providing me with a normal service.

As you know Mark I've made lots of complaints here and my service continues to be appalling. Based on this lack of service can you please close my a/c ASAP

Hi EurasianBadger,

I appreciate you had a number of issues in the past and based on that I will certainly look into the cancellation chages and the upgrade order.

However we can not issue a cancellation order directly I am afraid, every customer has to go through the same cancellation process I outlined to you in the PM.

Thanks, Mark

Can you give me the email address and postal addess for cancellations please.

Can you give me the email address and postal addess for cancellations please.

Hi EurasianBadger,

We need to have each customer to call cancellations through 1901 first to insure that there is a record of a call and then the customer subsequently sends in written notification either in writing or via e-mail.

However as each cancellation will be processed by confirming both the inital call and written confirmation we have to refer you to speak to cancellations first.

Thanks, Mark

Hi EurasianBadger,

I appreciate you had a number of issues in the past and based on that I will certainly look into the cancellation chages and the upgrade order.

However we can not issue a cancellation order directly I am afraid, every customer has to go through the same cancellation process I outlined to you in the PM.

Thanks, Mark

Can you give me the email address and postal addess for cancellations please

Something went very wrong with the upgrade/downgrade and this was not my fault and I did not knowingly enter into any contract. This is an Eircom Error

• Advertisement

Something went very wrong with the upgrade/downgrade and this was not my fault and I did not knowingly enter into any contract. This is an Eircom Error

Hi EurasianBadgerWe are no authorised to give out the e-mail or postal address either as a post or PM, as each customer has to follow the same process regardless of which medium they used to contact eircom.

I am not trying to frustrate you further but I can't post that information.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Thank you EurasianBadger. Was considering signing with eircom. Not now. No way. Seem to be about as interested in CS as 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thank you EurasianBadger. Was considering signing with eircom. Not now. No way. Seem to be about as interested in CS as 3

Hi mightybashful
    really sorry you feel that way, I can assure you that we will do our best to offer any help, information or advice where we can. This forum along with other online platforms are another avenue to offer support.
    In this case there is a proceedure to follow to minimise any confusion and errors, but within the parameters set we can still, once the request has been made to cancel, do our best to ensure the correct result is obtained for the customer and are happy to do so.
    Regards
    Tony and Mark.

Hi mightybashful
    really sorry you feel that way, I can assure you that we will do our best to offer any help, information or advice where we can. This forum along with other online platforms are another avenue to offer support.
    In this case there is a proceedure to follow to minimise any confusion and errors, but within the parameters set we can still, once the request has been made to cancel, do our best to ensure the correct result is obtained for the customer and are happy to do so.
    Regards
    Tony and Mark.

The attitude seems the same as the experience I had with three. The service was worse than words can describe but yet they insisted I pay for it. And if I wasn't happy with this I could buy out my contract........

I just see a lot of similarities here

Hi EurasianBadger,

I appreciate you had a number of issues in the past and based on that I will certainly look into the cancellation chages and the upgrade order

How are you going to do this?

but it would be ok to pay for poor service?

I would say not. A contract is a two way thing, in place to protect both parties.
    Eircom are not adhering to the terms of contract, with potential for breech, by not providing the service they commited to, if the service is as bad as you say (though of course I haven't seen the contract!!).
    These were the grounds that I used in my arguement with three. Which is why it never got as far as court in the end :)

Don't know what you mean by that, I'm just letting you know that when I got a modem I was told that if I got it for free I would have to commit to a 12 month contract so I just paid for the modem separately which is pretty ridiculous in itself ,since I have to pay for something just to continue getting a service they are providing to me on a rental basis. I bet if I told them I would leave eircom instead of paying for the modem they might of gave it to me for free with no contract.
    Even if you did officially agree to a contract there must be a breach of contract somewhere on their part.

I spoke to a soliciter yesterday and they said I should go to the small claims court as there is a breech of the sale of good and supply of services act. I'm not sure about that yet but I'm waiting on a response from eircom customer care/cancellations manager today before I proceed. All I want is to be allowed to leave eircom by just giving the 30 days notice with no penelty fees attached to this cancellation.

Update

I got a callback yesterday lunchtime from a team leader in eircom cancellations, David. He said because of the poor service he was able to cancel the service without penelty.

***eircom guys***
    Thanks for the help here. My broadband was disconnected yesterday. When will the phone be disconnected please?

• Advertisement

Update

I got a callback yesterday lunchtime from a team leader in eircom cancellations, David. He said because of the poor service he was able to cancel the service without penelty.

***eircom guys***
    Thanks for the help here. My broadband was disconnected yesterday. When will the phone be disconnected please?

Hi EurasianBadger
    yes broadband normally goes down first, normally within 24 hours, line does take a little longer but should by cancelled by Friday or Monday. Let us know if not.
    Regards
    Tony

Hi EurasianBadger
    yes broadband normally goes down first, normally within 24 hours, line does take a little longer but should by cancelled by Friday or Monday. Let us know if not.
    Regards
    Tony

Looks like it is cancelled now guys - thanks. There is a prepayment on this a/c up to middle of august. Can you arrange this to be sent to the a/c address please by cheque.

Looks like it is cancelled now guys - thanks. There is a prepayment on this a/c up to middle of august. Can you arrange this to be sent to the a/c address please by cheque.

Hi EurasianBadger.
    Good to hear. I have sent this to credit control to arrange for you. Obviously, if you do not receive, for any reason, let me know.
    Tony

Hi EurasianBadger
    have spoken with credit control, they advise last bill out end of this week / early next week, then credit will be issued 4 weeks after this to the current billing address, if you wish to change this address just call 1901 customer support and they can arrange immediately.
    Hope all goes well and if any prob, let me know.
    Tony

Just received my closing bill. In credit E55.22. Can you send me a cheque for this please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Just received my closing bill. In credit E55.22. Can you send me a cheque for this please

Thanks again EurasianBadger,

I will look into this and advise shortly.

Kind regards,
    Ant

cheque soon

cheque soon

Hi EurasianBadger,

A refund cheque can take up to 4 weeks to bee issued after an account has been closed. However I will track the progress and keep you updated.

Thanks, Mark

Friday was 4 calendar weeks. Still no refund cheque received.

I called Customer Care and they said I have not requested the cheque and I needed to do that. So was eircom just going to keep my money if I didn't request it? What happens the money of customers who don't request THEIR money back.

• Advertisement

Friday was 4 calendar weeks. Still no refund cheque received.

I called Customer Care and they said I have not requested the cheque and I needed to do that. So was eircom just going to keep my money if I didn't request it? What happens the money of customers who don't request THEIR money back.

Hi EurasianBadger,

I apologie for the delay in the refund cheque being issued. I can confirm 100% that the cheque was issued today.

05/09/11 REFUND -€55.22 - .00 222222

You should get it in 3-5 working days.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement