Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle Banks in Ballybofey/Stranorlar?

Options
  • 12-07-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if there are any other bottle banks in Ballybofey/Stranorlar other than the civic amenity site which is rarely open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

annascott wrote: »
    the civic amenity site which is rarely open?
    Its open every Thursday, Friday & Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Yeah, but it's a pain in the ass, because even though it's free to use the bottle bank, it's inside the gates of the civic amenity site, so you can only use it within certain hours on those days.

OP, there's a bottle bank at the end of the Curragh housing estate in Killygordon, which I always use. It's quiet, tidy and never overflowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

muffler wrote: »
    Its open every Thursday, Friday & Saturday

Thurs 10.30am - 5pm
    Fri & Sat 8.30am - 2pm

to me = hardly ever open.

annascott wrote: »
    Thurs 10.30am - 5pm
    Fri & Sat 8.30am - 2pm

to me = hardly ever open.
    Oh well! You must go through a lot of bottles :D

Ha! About 12 beer bottles and three wine bottles every weekend between two of us (one of us drinks more than the other!) It is the incompatibility with office hours that really bites. As for Saturday morning, it's well...Saturday morning.

• Advertisement

You should be a teetotaler like myself :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

muffler wrote: »
    You should be a teetotaler like myself :cool:

CerealSpitting.png

Shush you ;)

Actually,does anyone know how to go about organising more bottle banks on other sites? Supervalue have lots of space, or the navenny carpark would be perfect. I'm sure that a petition could be got as lots of people are inconvenienced by this. If anyone has information, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

The problem with placing these banks at other locations is that people just come and drop off their bags/boxes of bottles etc on the ground and don't bother putting them into the recycle containers, others actually do but throw their bags and boxes on the ground, while I've seen cases where people throw other rubbish there too.

Its a great facility and one that would save people money on bin charges, it a pity that they are not respected.

I work near one and have seen all of the above left around, but also seen both Romanians and what looks like organised operators rob clothes from the clothes bins. I am not sure if there has ever been any serious use of CCTV at these sites.

I am very sure of my facts here, we have chased looters away before and ringing the Gardai is pointless as response and seriousness is low, but a concerted effort with cctv with prosecutions would maybe change mindset.

The camera systems can be mobile, Im not sure why they are not rotated around sites randomly and actually watched and followed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

council having the funds to pay for the extra collection could be the problem.. especially when you consider the lack of funds for road grit during the big freeze

Valid points. I never thought of people dumping boxes and bottles around the banks. That is atrocious behaviour. I've never noticed it before.
    Also, forgot about the costs of collection too. I thought that the government were supposed to be encouraging us to recycle. Oh well, it was a good idea while it lasted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

heres what you could do with your empty beer tins instead :)

Advertisement