Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman TV problem

Options
  • 12-07-2011 10:30am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I bought a 32" Philips display model about a month ago. In the past week the picture will disappear, and come back a few seconds or minutes later. (The sound still works, as does the Ambi-light feature.)

I've tried it with different sources, as well as the internal tuner. Even its own setup menu is subject to this problem. Last night I took digital photos of it so that I'd a record of what it was doing - you can clearly see the Ambi-Light working with a black screen.

I have tried all the obvious stuff - resetting it to factory settings, bypassing my surround amplifier, looking for a software update for the TV (there isn't one currently), changing out the cables and leaving it unplugged for a few minutes.

I brought it back to Harvey Norman yesterday, and they rang me yesterday evening to say it hadn't shown the problem there. What should I do today? Should I take it back or what? I don't think they're likely to give me a refund, but I would be perfectly happy to take another TV to same value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Was kinda wondering about this myself. Likewise I bought a display model 40" phillips with a 4 year warrenty last year and I'd say maybe 20 times in the year its dropped picture for about 2 seconds and then come back. I THINK it is the HDMI cable as I swapped the one my UPC box and Playstation and it went from one to the other but because it was so intermittent I knew it'd be useless trying to show it to the staff.

Sorry I've no help to offer OP but just wondering if there is a way to test this?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I could try some more cable jumbling and see what happens. Is the warranty period always four years - it's not printed on the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I was told when I bought it that EVEN display models have the 4 year warranty.

I've to go in later to ask about a new remote since my baby girl decided to use it as a basketball so I'll see what they say about it then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

See if you can record the problem on your phone. Might help. If it can't appear in the store, they have no proof it's actually faulty so they may send it away to be assessed and repaired.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Strangely enough today there was little problem getting a replacement - I opted for a Sony Bravia 32" and am very happy... fingers crossed it keeps working!

• Advertisement
Advertisement