Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool Shops?

Options
  • 12-07-2011 10:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a soldering iron and maybe a dremel/rotary tool. I want to check locally first because the postage cost can be quite expensive if buying online.

So, are there any shops in Cork which I should check? Please mention where they are as well if you can.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Two on North Main street, Northern end , almost opposite each other

Brownlowe's , end of the link road, under the Idle Tower. Good selection
    .. and just around the corner...
    Dixon's auto factors, anglesea street. limited tool selection, very helpful

Miko Metal, opposite Musgrave's half way up the airport hill. mostly metalwork supplies, limited tool selection.

Desmonds Auto Factors, next to Musgrave Park

...or if it's not possible to support the local traders; Halfords or B&Q

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BigDinny

McQuillans on Oliver Plunkett Street would also be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Don't scrimp on a Soldering Iron, get an Antex 50watt minimum. There's nothing worse than trying to work with a crappy iron with a crappy bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

For what your looking for you might be better off checking argos.
    Frank Clarke's in the doughcloyne industrial est. has a great selection of tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Maplin sometimes have a special offer for that 120w gas soldering iron so you can get it dirt cheap instead of the regular 100e i'd never pay for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Pretty light tools. Could try;

B&Q in Mahon
    Woodies on Old Kinsale Rd.
    Atlantic in Blackpool/Ballyphehane
    Maplin in Blackpool

You could also try the electrical places like;

Kellehers on Tramore Rd.
    Dywers on Forge Hill

I could go on forever....... well..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

For regular soldering irons (not gas or 100w types for circuit boards) everywhere only seems to stock those Draper ones, usually either a 30w or a 50w

I'm pretty sure Argos are the only large retailer left that do Dremel tools and accessories, so it's either them or hold out for Aldi/Lidl and there variety

If I had to buy either again I'd go the ebay/Amazon route

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Maplins will do the gas ones, I got one there before Christmas last year. A great place though for Soldering Irons, and they might even stock Dremels, is Chip Electronics. They used to be in Holyhill, but they're in Ballincollig now. Reasonable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

OP gonna hijack your thread a bit...
    A 5 inch bench vice,looking for a Record only cos of the brand name but would buy other if I thought it was good enough.
    Tried Scotts in Ballincollig but they only had a €280 majiggy and cast-irons for about €80 which I'll break!!
    Any opinions?

Advertisement