Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice from toys

Options
  • 12-07-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

A friend told me this story and I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences

His 10 year old daughter got the littlest pet shop toys there miniature modes of animals

A few weeks later she said that she started hearing voices coming from one of the models a bear type figure looking for honey, she took the honey jar from their press and started to feed the bear the honey, she also said that not to tell her parents

She said that at night the toys start moving and talking

I'm a great sceptic I put it down to over active imagination, my friend and his wife are very upset by it they said their daughter is deadly serious and really upset

I did a bit on google and saw that sometimes dolls can be possessed by deamons?

Could it be mind playing games? They have a younger daughter who backed up what her older sister was saying that she heard it to

I asked my friend if he thought it was attention seeking he said he never saw her so upset before

They took all the toys and put them away

Did anyone ever come across a similar situation, in my opinion I think the kid may be schzrophentic excuse the spelling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like an imaginary friend type thing?

Has she seen the film "Toy Story" lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Gilda Fortune

if a 10 year old is hearing voices and the parents are convinced that she is not making it up - then take her to a doctor she could be displaying first signs of a mental illness.
    the younger child probably just goes along with what her older sister says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I used to talk to random strangers all the time when i was around that age......in my head lol its an over active imagination i can even still remember talking to my fave teddy bear and him talking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

When I was about that age I firmly believed that my dolls came alive at night too.

I'd say that it's a case of an overactive imagination, or a bad dream. I agree with Gilda that the younger child is mmost likely copying what the older sibling says.

Taking the dolls away was probably the right thing to do for the child's peace of mind, but if I were you I'd recommend to the parents that they tell their child that the toys were removed because they were scaring her, and make it clear that the dolls could not really have been moving or talking, lest it start her believing other nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Sounds like an over active imagination but could also be night terrors, I had a reletive that had night terrors until they where at least 11-12. Scared the hell out of them and their parents but if your worried about the child bring her to see a doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It is far more likely that this 10 year old is projecting whatever fears she has onto her toys, than that they are possessed in any way. This is not to say she doesnt believe her toys come alive, (or that she is in any way mentally ill. As if) but that the belief comes from inside her. She is ten, and still getting a grasp on the world, and not really out of childhood. I remember at the same age being convinced that the religious relics in my house were evil and causing me harm. Seriously. :) It was a phase, and it meant nothing other than I was an anxious child. Perhaps you could say I was sensitive to spooky things, but I really dont think that bringing that theory into this childs situation is going to help in any way.

She is young, and needs grounding and lots of common sense around her. She needs to express about everything that scares her, not just those toys. Her parents may well find there has been a trigger that is very much of this world, which has caused her to be a little nervous at night, and to focus her fear on her toys. Safety and security from mam and dad are key to keeping her steady. Talk of possessed toys, even if overheard, will only make her feel worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

hi has there been any update on this

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

To end this drama the parents of the kid should have asked the kid to prove the claim in front of them. It would have helped clearing any wrong notion of kid as well. It's fit case of childhood fantasies that kids go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

meryem wrote: »
    To end this drama the parents of the kid should have asked the kid to prove the claim in front of them.

Ah come on you can't instruct a ten year old to prove it. I'm not suggesting she IS hearing anything but chances are her fear is real. Her parents can't just dismiss the fact she is scared. All it would do is discourage the child from going to the parents again for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

When I was a child I had wallpaper that was covered in pictures chilrden from that poem thing 'Monday's child is full of grace, Tuesday's child is fair of face' etc. I remember screaming in the night thinking they'd come alive and were dancing round the floor, but they were really evil looking and were playing the fiddle. I used to be terrified. Dunno if they were night terrors or what, but it was very real to me at the time. I can still picture the little feckers dancing around now! Could be something like this is happening to that child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

If a demon were to have the power to possess a doll, say, or a child in a rural village, or anything it could get its talons on in general (cars, washing machines, etc.), then demons, though obviously harmful beings and all that, are also seriously petty and irritating. Why not go for the leader of a nuclear power and do some real damage? 'Get me some honey' seems really lazy.

I used to leave the lid off my tin of G.I. Joes at night so they could breath and refused to have the Cobras armed in case they started any grief when I went to sleep.

I personally don't think a child's imagination should be rationalised, better to creatively guide and encourage productively.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

Whispered wrote: »
    Ah come on you can't instruct a ten year old to prove it. I'm not suggesting she IS hearing anything but chances are her fear is real. Her parents can't just dismiss the fact she is scared. All it would do is discourage the child from going to the parents again for comfort.
    Think you are right over there. The kid seems to be in need of serious/good counseling. Additionally parents should remove such toys from her room immediately to keep things safe from every aspect. In childhood most kids think likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The initial and continued over reaction in this thread seriously makes me sad for the humamn race :(

The initial and continued bad grammar in this thread seriously makes me sad for the 'humamn' race.

viadah wrote: »
    The initial and continued bad grammar in this thread seriously makes me sad for the 'humamn' race.
    Any more off topic and pointless posting like this will make you very sad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

The 10 yr olds from today are alot different from yrs ago.
    I have a 10 yr old and if she started telling me stuff like that I would take her serious as she is a bit old to pretend something like that, and fake being upset about it.

This girl should be taken to speak to someone... But who? I haven't a clue.

Oryx wrote: »
    Any more off topic and pointless posting like this will make you very sad indeed.

Tell me about it.

I can be a prick at inopportune moments when I think I'm being funny when I'm not, so rather than apologise in a private message I'll do so humbly in public.

There is a train of thought that children are more open to paranormal events, but as an adjunct to what I said in a previous post, the imagination or real-life events of a child's psyche should be encouraged productively, dealt with productively, I think more damage can be done by trying to simply say there's nothing there and to forget about it. I have a vague recollection of a doll communicating with me when I was 4, but the strongest memory I have of such is the fact that when my family moved house, it no longer did. In relation to the OP, I could say an environmental factor was at work but I can't remember one good reason why a change in environment altered this for me.

In any case, it'd prolli be wisest to assume individual cases need individual treatment.

And again, apologies for lowering the tone.

You pointed out a mistype. Well done. Pat yourself on the back!
    In any case, it'd prolli be wisest to assume individual cases need individual treatment.

:rolleyes:

The point I was making was, how come it is being entertained that this child might be communicating with the paranormal? The child has an over-active imagination.

When I was a kid I used to talk to my teddy bear. I was convinced my teddy was alive and spoke back to me. But my parents never called the Ghostbusters. Why? Because I was an imaginative child. I wasn't interacting with other dimensions, I was communicating with myself!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You pointed out a mistype. Well done. Pat yourself on the back!

:rolleyes:
    This has already been dealt with. Stick to the topic, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭suzerxxx

i remember as a child i had a doll, just ur average doll without batteries etc like they have these days, one day the doll started crying i heard it cry and a tear came out of her eye! i was 5 or 6 but it kinda scared me, im sure i just imagined it but other things happened to my older sisters in the same house, hearing noises and seeing figures etc and they were aged 10+ cant remember anything else happening to me that scared me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I remember my sister telling me that she had a "girls diary" typepad type thing that you wrote things into, it would have been about 10-12 years ago and she would have been about 11 or so, she said she was listening to Beyonce and singing along when the diary which she said she hadn't used since she got it for x-mas started beeping, she went over to it and it said SHUT UP!, she also said the thing didn't even have a button for explamation marks at the end of ti. spooky stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 zyzygy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The point I was making was, how come it is being entertained that this child might be communicating with the paranormal?

/QUOTE]
    It's difficult to contact something that does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Bruce Willis is a ghost.... I mean yeah sounds like her imagination. Is her bear the ghost of a dead bear or by chance did a guy who loves honey just end up in a toy bear?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

When I was a child my mother got one of those antique china dolls in her room. I used to have to use the shower in her room and the doll scared the absolute crap out of me, to the point where I refused to use the shower. One day I went down to her room, grabbed the doll and told it to leave me alone. No more trouble :P

My point is that I knew it was all in my head that it was trying to talk to me, because everyone else said it was nonsense, if anyone had entertained the idea that it was talking I would have been scared witless.

Advertisement