Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bjj grading

• 12-07-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

i'm new to jiu jitsu so excuse my ignorance but how does a coach decide a white belt is ready for a blue belt?
    do you have to just show competance in certain techniques or do well in white belt competitions?
    also who can award a blue belt, do you have to be a purple belt or have qualifications?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

nino1 wrote: »
    i'm new to jiu jitsu so excuse my ignorance but how does a coach decide a white belt is ready for a blue belt?
    do you have to just show competance in certain techniques or do well in white belt competitions?
    also who can award a blue belt, do you have to be a purple belt or have qualifications?

I'll have a pop at this! open to correction..
    The new blue belt should be competent in most positions and have a good knowledge of submissions from the positions and be able to apply them against Blue opposition on the mats and/or competition which is the best way but the coach may feel you have shown competency within the gym.

Its not as simple as there is 10 moves you need to be good at and prove it, its more flexible than other arts and more about good technique and been able to use it at the level your aiming for.

A purple belt on can award Blue belts as far as i know if there considered to be a qualified coach through there team, so another words not all purples can give out Blue belts.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

cowzerp wrote: »
    A purple belt on can award Blue belts as far as i know if there considered to be a qualified coach through there team, so another words not all purples can give out Blue belts.
    really? How much can I charge... uh I mean uh... that's a great honour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

cowzerp wrote: »
    I'll have a pop at this! open to correction..
    The new blue belt should be competent in most positions and have a good knowledge of submissions from the positions and be able to apply them against Blue opposition on the mats and/or competition which is the best way but the coach may feel you have shown competency within the gym.

Its not as simple as there is 10 moves you need to be good at and prove it, its more flexible than other arts and more about good technique and been able to use it at the level your aiming for.

Bang on the button. Also, a purple belt can not award blue belt stripes if stripes are used in said club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

each org has their own criteria
    at sbg in order of importance

1. postural awareness for each position
    2. demonstrate an understanding of what your goals are in each position.
    3. achieving some positive results when going against athletes similar age/weight who are close to or are blue belt.

knowing individual techniques such as particular sweeps or submissions would have almost no relevance to me...but of course the person will know them if they are testing for blue, such is the nature of the game. its just not something i look for.
    at sbg no one below brown gives out belts

Advertisement