Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Shooting Range

• 12-07-2011 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im looking to give target shooting a try and to get some training/experience with a rifle before apply for a FAC. Ive contated Ballyhoura but they are doing some work on the range.

Im based outside limerick, Can someone recommend me another range to try near Limerick?

Thanks

D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Welcome :D

Here's a list of ranges from the Wiki

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Shooting_Clubs_and_Ranges

What kind of target shooting are you looking to try, people might be able to make different suggestions based on your personal preference.

Different ranges cater for different disciplines. How far you willing to travel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

and here is where my newbieness comes into play :)

what do you mean by different types? as in like clay? or range? im mainly interested in learning how to shoot with a rifle!

Id travel for an hour or more for experience

Don't sweat it, everyone starts somewhere.

Rifles generally fall into 3 categories, air rifles, rimfire rifles and centerfire (aka fullbore) rifles.

Air rifles are generally for short range stuff, 10 meter and 50 I think. Decent air rifles are very accurate and ammo is inexpensive which allows for lots of shooting on a budget. Great way to learn the basics. Practially no recoil from Pre Charged Pneumatic (PCP) air rifles.

Rimfire rifles generally shoot small caliber bullets. The .22lr being one of the most popular rounds and ammo is generally inexpensive. They're called rimfire because the firing pin strikes the rim of the cartridge. Depending on caliber, rimfire rifles can used out as far as 200-250 yards. On a range here you'd probably stick to 50 or 100 yards with one though. Not very much recoil with these rifles either. Also a good starting point in learning to shoot a rifle due to low ammo cost.

Centerfire or fullbore rifles are so called because the firing pin strikes the center of the cartridge. The range of calibers varies from little to large. These are the most powerful of the cartridge types I've listed. Target Ammo can be expensive for these rifles from 1euro to over 2 euro a round. These rifles are used here from 100 to 1200 yards but not all ranges cater for centerfire rifles. Here is a link for the Creedmor cup which was a type of centerfire rifle competition held on a range here. You can see the type of rifles being used in some of the pictures

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056264599

Some ranges cater for a lot of shooting disciplines, whereas some only allow/cater for rimfire rifles (as an example).

So if you wanted to experience a certain type of rifle shooting,where you go would be important.

That is an excellent response! Thanks for taking the time.

I think id like to start with a Rimfire rifle. From what I've been reading from the forum they seem to be the most common. Ive been looking at shoot.ie aswell and they seem to be reasonable enough cost wise. But thats a bit down the road.

Can you recommend a range based on that?

I'm hoping this is where club members will chime in. I am not a member of a club myself so would only have information second hand.

If you are based in Limerick, looking at the wiki, Ballyhoura would have been my first suggestion. If it's under renovation then it seems Fermoy and the Midlands may be the next closest.

As I'm not a member though I am unsure of their policies and rules so hopefully someone will post here or PM you.

• Advertisement

Excellent thanks again for the help. I'll wait for a member to pop along and give info. Failing that ill contact the club directly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Give 'em a ring to clarify things ;)

Here is Midlands website which includes contact details.

http://www.nationalshootingcentre.ie/

At Midlands you have to be a member or the quest of a member. AFAIK you have to hold a licence for any firearm you use there also unless you are on a training course.

They do run various training courses ;)

At Midlands you have to be a member or the quest of a member. AFAIK you have to hold a licence for any firearm you use there also unless you are on a training course.

Cheers for that. Have dropped the club a mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Hiya Drifter - I'm just outside Limerick too and nearest to us is Fermoy. Your best bet is to contact them directly. They'll be able to organise a visit for you and the lads/girls down there would gladly show/allow you use their gear (not pistols) under supervision and let you see what an addictive sport you're getting into :D

http://www.fermoyrifleclub.com/Contact.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

fermoy is a good club well run and the guys are always happy to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

The range in castleisland kerry is an riocht/the kingdom
    Once you are a member you ring up the day before you want to go down and arrange a time.
    Its attached to the alamo gun dealership.
    http://alamogunsupplies.com/html/an_riocht_range.html

Advertisement