Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners running club - Cork city

Options
  • 12-07-2011 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks,

There seems to be plenty of running clubs around Cork but as a person trying to get fit I can't jump in the deep end and join up with them. I am looking for a club that offers beginners training. Literally starting from 0. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

ElizaDay wrote: »
    Hi folks,

There seems to be plenty of running clubs around Cork but as a person trying to get fit I can't jump in the deep end and join up with them. I am looking for a club that offers beginners training. Literally starting from 0. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Cheers.
    I joined eagles ac in cork at christmas - look uo their website and see what you think,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Think ill start a wee bit of running myself, Cork is ideal for it, As its got plenty of flat streets and hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Elizaday - Eagle host a running meet & train group on Monday nights from Douglas shopping centre. There is no cost, you just show up. The easiest route is 3 miles, stopping for a break in between. Girls only so there is great support! Contact them for more info and they will advise you as to how ready you are,
    If this is a bit much, I would suggest getting a few friends together and start the couch to 5k program. Sometimes all it takes is for one person to buy a cheap stopwatch, rally the friends and before you know it you have your own running group. As you progress you might find going for a run on your own relaxing as well.

I think there is also a running group that go from Blackrock Primary care centre (across from the CSO)....they seem to have walkers and runners. But I think you have to join then from the start. They usually aim for the womens mini marathon so are probably start soon if not already.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Elizaday - Eagle host a running meet & train group on Monday nights from Douglas shopping centre. There is no cost, you just show up. The easiest route is 3 miles, stopping for a break in between. Girls only so there is great support! Contact them for more info and they will advise you as to how ready you are,
    This is exactly what I was about to suggest, it's how I started running and being a beginner is not a problem, the 3 mile group would probably suit you. Joining a club might be better when you have some miles in the legs, most track sessions involve speed training, etc, but you would need basic mileage to get any benefit from this I think?? (just my opinion, I joined a club after a few months of meet and train group). I know a few other clubs or groups have 'fit for life' groups but I'm not sure of any details, but again the approach would be similar to a meet and train group I think and might suit a beginner. Good luck and happy running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ElizaDay

Great stuff. Thanks for the info folks. I'll give that 'meet and train' group a go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement