Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer money from Ireland to Australia?

• 12-07-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

I want to transfer my money from my current account (approx €3000) into my Australian bank account.

Could anyone reccommend a company, I have heard of Forex, Moneycorp and Currency Fair but I would like to know which is best? and what is the process involved?

Also I want the money to be in AUS$ in my australian account, does this happen automaticaly or do you have to request it?

Any advice always welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

I use currencyfair. The website should answer all your queries.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You should just be able to do this through your bank. You'll need the account number and SWIFT code for the australian bank and you'll need to specify that you want it to arrive in AUD. If you do it through your bank, you can just fill in a form in your local branch, or depending on who you bank with, you may be able to use online banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stan Laurel

I'm in the same boat, heading over to Australia in September and have recently opened an account with NAB. I bank with Ulster Bank over here and I called into a branch today to find out about this. They told me it was handy to do, just have the money in my Irish account and go to any branch and they can do a foreign currency transfer into my Australian account. Just make sure to have all your details with you, account number, sort code etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I'm in the same boat, heading over to Australia in September and have recently opened an account with NAB. I bank with Ulster Bank over here and I called into a branch today to find out about this. They told me it was handy to do, just have the money in my Irish account and go to any branch and they can do a foreign currency transfer into my Australian account. Just make sure to have all your details with you, account number, sort code etc.

Good man Stan, saved me a trip to my Ulster Bank, was just about to head:D

Did they say how much comission etc. they charge?

Edit: Just seen it was your first post, if you need any info about Oz check the forum on here its very good, or Private message me if your not sure as they dont like "silly" questions asked on the forums...

rightyabe wrote: »
    Good man Stan, saved me a trip to my Ulster Bank, was just about to head:D

Did they say how much comission etc. they charge?

Edit: Just seen it was your first post, if you need any info about Oz check the forum on here its very good, or Private message me if your not sure as they dont like "silly" questions asked on the forums...

No hassle, only went in this afternoon myself!! I honestly forgot to ask how much commission they'd charge :o. I was just unsure of how to go about transferring money. Thought I might have to go through Western Union or one of them which would cost a lot more than Ulster Bank I'd imagine!! Sorry about that!!

Thanks very much, appreciate that!! Seems to be some good info on here alright... I'll have a good search before I ask too many questions!!! Cheers for that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

I had an AIB account in Ireland, and transfered all my money into a NAB account when I moved to OZ. I did it all on-line. With AIB, you need a code card to transfer money. There was also a limit as to how much you could transfer at a time - I think it was a max of €5000. I made 4 transfers at the max rate, and it cost me approx €30 each time.
    Hope that helps.

I had an AIB account in Ireland, and transfered all my money into a NAB account when I moved to OZ. I did it all on-line. With AIB, you need a code card to transfer money. There was also a limit as to how much you could transfer at a time - I think it was a max of €5000. I made 4 transfers at the max rate, and it cost me approx €30 each time.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks for that, it'd be much handier to do online alright!! I'm sure the charges will be in and around the same with all of the Irish banks. That's great, cheers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

Not sure about the others but I just started using currency fair and it's an extremely powerful tool for the non-financial advisor individual!!

Here's an example of what you can save:

As of todays date @ Sat Jul 16 2011 (markets closed for weekend)

I want to transfer, say, €10,000 to my Australian bank a/c from my Irish bank account. If I perform the transfer from my Banking 365 a/c myself by drag & drop method, the funds will be transferred in euro.

At present ANZ will buy my euros @ EUR 0.7840 = AUD 1. Therefore EUR 10,000.00 = AUD 12,755.10.....and will also charge AUD 13 for the privilege. That's $12,742.10

However, if i transfer my €10,000 to currency fair I could buy AUD 13,239 worth of dollars at their current rate of EUR 0.7533 = AUD 1.

They charge a $4 for standard transfer fee. So that's $13,235 minus the $13 hat ANZ charge to accept the transfer leaving you with a grand total of $13,222 in your account.

If you used currency fair in the situation outlined above you would have an extra $466.90 in your account on arrival.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RayJ

Does anyone know how much can be transferred to Australian accounts without exceeding limits (from the ATO for example)?

I'm going to make a transfer using Currencyfair but my mother also wants me to put some of her money in a "secure" currency?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭CD8ED

Not sure if this will work, but maybe set up a couple of PayPal accounts, 1 registered in Ireland and one registered in oz. transfer your cash, avoid transfer fees, bobs your uncle! As I said, no idea if this would work, but would be interesting to find out!

Edit: just saw how long ago this thread started, sorry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 IrishGirl12

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has advice on the best option for transfering cash from an AIB account to a Westpac account ?

I will also then need to transfer monthly from Westpac to AIB, do you know how long this takes and an approx cost?

Any advice would be really really appreciated !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has advice on the best option for transfering cash from an AIB account to a Westpac account ?

I will also then need to transfer monthly from Westpac to AIB, do you know how long this takes and an approx cost?

Any advice would be really really appreciated !!!

Use currency fair, it will save you a fortune on commission fees, expecially if it's big amounts. You set up an account here, all you need is just scans of your passport or driving licence and two forms of address verification (utility bill, etc) to open an account. Using currency fair will probably take you an extra day or two rather than going directly bank-bank, but won't cost you anything extra. I transferred €1700 last week to an Aussie account, saved 70 quid. Better in my pocket than the banks' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Tucker688

Hi Guys,

How many days did it take to hit the OZ bank account, im doing mine on friday? VIA BOI transfer to Commonwealth

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Usual timeframe is about 5 working days, sometimes it can arrive earlier, but I'd allow 5 to be sure.

Advertisement