Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthur Guinness Day 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Cazale wrote: »
    Its all on the Guinness website. I have tickets for James Gate so I'm hoping for another band or two myself as its a bit underwhelming at the moment!

Same here, other venues have 5 or 6 bands!

Was there last year and I think there was 6 bands playing.

EDIT: just found this site which has all the details http://www.goldenplec.com/2011/09/13/arthurs-day-final-additions-announced-and-extra-tickets/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

bobbyg wrote: »
    Same here, other venues have 5 or 6 bands!

Was there last year and I think there was 6 bands playing.

EDIT: just found this site which has all the details http://www.goldenplec.com/2011/09/13/arthurs-day-final-additions-announced-and-extra-tickets/

At the moment looking at that list I would prefer to go to the gig at The Savoy in Cork. Fingers crossed they pull out a few surprises for James Gate!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

got a ticket today for the grand social. anyone know who's rumoured to be headlining in there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BarryJohn85

I just got my Aslan tickets for Arthurs Day in Kobra Bar on Leeson Street!!! This gig is going to be unreal and the tickets were FREE!!! Ha ha serious no brainer for Arthurs Day!!!
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=144505495642180

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

quaidox wrote: »
    got a ticket today for the grand social. anyone know who's rumoured to be headlining in there??

If you look at the goldplec site linked above that will tell you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

If you look at the goldplec site linked above that will tell you
    it doesn't say who the special guest is on the night.........

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭daysleeper

Got a ticket for St. James' Gate to see Paolo :) does anyone know roughly what time he'll be on? Ticketmaster says it starts at 4.30, but will the music be on that early?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jasonsc

Need tickets for about 5-6 people for somewhere in dublin city centre for arthurs day. Where's not sold out? any suggestions? we've left it late...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Jasonsc wrote: »
    Need tickets for about 5-6 people for somewhere in dublin city centre for arthurs day. Where's not sold out? any suggestions? we've left it late...

if you just want to go 'somewhere', why not go to the any of the vast majority of pubs which don't require tickets that day? :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Jasonsc wrote: »

You could try Tripod? Ham Sandwich and Banquet DJs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

daysleeper wrote: »
    Got a ticket for St. James' Gate to see Paolo :) does anyone know roughly what time he'll be on? Ticketmaster says it starts at 4.30, but will the music be on that early?

St. James gate will get some TV coverage, so they open early to make sure the place is packed when they start recording. I'd expect the first act to start between 5.30 and 6.00. :)

Yea last year they showed performances from James Gate , Vicar St , The Academy , The Village and somwhere in Cork/Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Is it on a Thursday each year to keep the publicans happy or for any other reason (there probably is some bullsh1t official reason)?. With certain numbers of people always going out on a Friday and Saturday would it just be seen as a "waste" of a potential earner to have it on a weekend night?. Realistically i can't go out boozing on a Thursday and a few mates are the same, so don't end up going near Arthur's Day.
    I thought this was common knowledge?

Arthurs Day
    Our Thursday

(Pronounced Ar-thursday by most irish people)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

I have two tickets for sale for the savoy in cork seasick steve neill hannon of the divine comedy & bressie,unfortunately i cant go due to unforseen circumstances. if anyone is interested pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭odonopenmic

I heard all the Dublin venues were sold out but I know The Minutes will be playing a free, ticket-less gig in McGrattans on Baggot Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rcazzy

Just saw Big Talk are playing The Acadmey! Would have loved to have seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

This is printed on my tickets:

DOORS: 5 / 1ST ACT 5.45PM
    GUARANTEED ENTRY BEFORE 7

Surely this doesn't mean that I could be refused entry after 7pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭bobbyg

From what I have heard it is due to finish at 8.30 so you wouldn't want to get there much later then 7.00. Also I am not sure what ticket you have but I was at the storehouse last year and the headline act was the first act on so if you get there late you will miss them.

Fidelis wrote: »
    This is printed on my tickets:

DOORS: 5 / 1ST ACT 5.45PM
    GUARANTEED ENTRY BEFORE 7

Surely this doesn't mean that I could be refused entry after 7pm?

Yup . As far as i know after a certain time anyone can get it which could be 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

Would anyone know what time the headline acts come on in Vicar Street or the Olympia?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

How did everyone get on last night?
    Was in The Baggot Inn....
    3 bands on- never heard of any of them!
    1st band- Bitches and Wolves(i think?) were great, other 2 terrible!
    'Suprise' band cleared the pub as were so sh*te!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Watched the 'highlights' on tv last night - glad I didnt bother getting tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

So who were the suprise bands in the pubs? any feedback at all from these gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭magicwok

Was in vicar street which was brutal to be honest, enjoyed the few tunes from Bell X1 and James Walsh(although he really needs the rest of starsailor with him) The charlatans where desperate, Tim Burgess was off his eyeballs and Maverick sabre was a joke, dont think ill bother with it next year, the first year was great that i got to see kasabian in the church, also €5 for a guinness in a plastic pint glass is crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I honestly hope that this Arthur's Day lark dies a death soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Galla73

Don't understand the negativity about the Arthur's day thing. Obviously it's a PR / marketing thing by the black stuff but - everyones a winner. You get a headline act and a selection of support acts for a very reasonable price and money then donated to charity with Guinness 'on everyone's lips' for a night - where's the problem. I was in the Olympia last night (my first Arthur's Day) and thought it was an electric night. Got the end of Aloe Blacc - seemed good. Florrie & Ed Sheeran - very good + excellent. Then Scissors Sisters were brilliant. Ok a short set but what do you expect for €15. The crowd were buzzing - don't want to be stereotyping groups - but your stereotypical SS fanbase do know how to let themselves go - more luck to them - thought they added to the occasion in a perfectly suited venue.

Roll on next year!

Was working in Whelans again this year and have great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I honestly hope that this Arthur's Day lark dies a death soon.
    Why? and do you also have issues with other subsidised gigs by drinks companies, like heineken green energy & bud rising?

If they are willing to pay the bulk of what my ticket should cost I will gladly accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

rubadub wrote: »
    Why? and do you also have issues with other subsidised gigs by drinks companies, like heineken green energy & bud rising?

If they are willing to pay the bulk of what my ticket should cost I will gladly accept it.

Nothing to do with the gigs - although having said that I wouldn't be interested in the vast majority of the bands they get at it. It's the hype around the whole day and the sheer Paddy's Day style lunacy in some areas around it.

Temple Bar on year one was a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi All,

I was at the Savoy in Cork last night - although the event seemed very slow i.e. the set up between bands took far too long - and the 17.59 toast was very disappointing and not a free drink in sight (very flat if I may say so) BUT .................. WOW the concert itself fantastic.

We started with Divine Comedy and Neil can do no wrong with me.

Followed by 3 young lads (no idea of their name) who "I think" won some competition - they were actually really good I thought a cross between Kasabian and New Order but I wanted to jump up on the stage and pull up their jeans (BOYS/MEN TAKE NOTE - we don't want to see your underwear - really - just wear a belt)

They were followed by Wretch32 - I knew nothing of him but he was brill - rapper/rock sounded a bit like Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park at times - I really loved him - but (BOYS/MEN TAKE NOTE - you don't have to keep holding your crotch - it isn't going to fall off just because you're singing and jumping about) his crotch grabbing was getting beyond embarrassing. But couldn't fault his performance.

Carl Barat was next - I was dying to see his performance as Mr. ex Libertines and without Pete Doherty - I loved him - his new band and their sound - it felt more like performance art - but I'm going to get that album.

As for Seasick Steve OMG - I am in luv with this old guy - he was just incredible - the audience adored him - he felt a little humbled by our shouts of "STEVE OHHHH" but he is my new hero.

All in all - THANK YOU - Arthur Guinness - if it wasn't for this celebratory occasion I would not have seen that many top bands/performers for €15.00. We have to celebrate anything we can in this country at any time - don't knock it - laugh and lap it up. I hate Guinness - I would never drink beer/stout/lager - but I toasted him with my Cola last night.

Can't wait for next year. J :D

Advertisement