Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Tokyo Gaming Haul

• 12-07-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

So here's the (games related) results of my trip to Tokyo. Started a new thread so as not to spam the other thread with a wall of pics (all accessible here too along with a few more pics - http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b430/RonanDyasMurphy/ ):
    DSC00287.jpg

My main focus over there was always going to be famicom games, so that's what most of the stuff is. The Twin Famicom was something I was planning to get if I had money (and suitcase space) at the end of the trip. In the end I bought it the moment I saw it, there was no way I was leaving it behind! The disk system works perfectly too:
    DSC00294.jpg

The AV Famicom was what I originally intended to get to play the famicom stuff, my gf got it for me as a late birthday present, along with the SwanCrystal. The Saturn was the other thing on my shopping list, and decided to pick up a few (surprisingly reasonably priced) shooters with it:
    DSC00288.jpg

Finally, here's the handheld stuff. Not pictured is the colour version of Gunpey. The Game Boy is actually a GB Pocket, a Japanese-exclusive version modelled on the original DMG. Almost bought one in the same (excellent) condition online for about 50e a couple of months ago, picked this one up for about 8e:
    DSC00291.jpg

So that's more or less it! My gf also bought herself a limited edition FF3 DS Lite, which I'm planning to steal one day down the line, and I also picked up Espgaluda 2 and Mushihimesama Futari for the 360.

Also just to note: Found the the best value place to go for retro stuff in Akihabara was a place called Traders. There's a bunch of them, but one on the main street has an amazing floor full of stuff, invariably cheaper than Super Potato. (Raidiant Silvergun was almost half the price, although the SP version did have the spine card)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nice haul dude, and welcome to the Wonderswan collectors club ;)

I still desperately want a copy of Ni No Kuni if only for collectings sake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Umihara Kawase! Been trying to pick that up for a resaonable price everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nice haul, congrats man.
    Makes the rest green with envy.
    If only I had a good reason to drag the family to Japan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

One of my favourite things there is Sweet Home (the famicom game to the left of Kirby). Was the inspiration for the original Resident Evil. Actually according to wiki, Resi was originally meant to be a remake of it. Has the door opening animations and everything. Haven't played it yet though (and considering it's totally in Japanese, I'll almost certainly never play it through without an emulator & translation)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Great haul Ghostchant, some really great stuff there. That GB pocket looks spectacular. Well done on the WS Crystal. I see you have my copy of pocket fighters there:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ondafly

excellent hall there ! can't wait to get back over this year. Also great purchase on the twin famicom.

Last time was there, I struggled to make out what each game was, as the covers can be dramatically different.

@Cider - Dublin to Tokyo return with SAS - €643 :Dhttp://www.flysas.com/en/ie/Promotions-and-prices/Tokyo/Tokyo-Sale/?WT.seg_4=SIPS11IE202

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice!

I hope you payed import duty on all of that :p

'But no mr customs man, these are all OLD games. They're not worth anything. See this one, Radiant Silvergun? I bought it just to use as a coaster'

That is some haul. I really want that GB Pocket!

o1s1n wrote: »
    I hope you payed import duty on all of that :p

The guy in front of me got called back by customs. I was like an Olympic sprinter with my suitcase at that point, I'd totally have called me back instead :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've actually always been fine with customs coming back to Dublin from far flung locations - don't think I've ever been stopped. There tends to be one yawning worker manning all the channels himself :P

I'm glad I didn't drag too much stuff from Japan to New Zealand though when I flew over there - now the latter is a country with crazy strict customs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One particular trip to New York I went crazy buying in the shops getting PS2, GBA and PS1 games. Couldn't fit them in my suitcase and was afraid to lose them so brough them all on carry on. Anyway considering this was in July 2002 when security saw a load of electronics and CDs in my carry on luggage they stopped me and made me show the security lady what I had in my bag. I just opened the bag she looked inside, looked at me and then shaked her head disapprovingly and waved me through while my friends pissed themselves laughing at me.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Once I brought a Soviet era gas mask I'd picked up in Amsterdam on a plane in hand luggage. Not a word was said to me. Looking back, that's actually pretty worrying.

Although they were probably too concerned with the other art students who'd hidden dubious substances in paint pots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Once I brought a Soviet era gas mask I'd picked up in Amsterdam on a plane in hand luggage. Not a word was said to me. Looking back, that's actually pretty worrying.

Although they were probably too concerned with the other art students who'd hidden dubious substances in paint pots.

Standard issue really on Amsterdam flights :D

Master of the Universe

I guess they were just happy nobody tried to fit a hooker into a suitcase.

So overall ghostchant, how did the price of stuff compare to buying online? I guess the savings you make on shipping are worth it alone!

The consoles were, at worst, priced similarly to what you'd pay online, minus the shipping, although are often cheaper. If you shop around the 'normal' games were pretty cheap, where the big-ticket items in Super Potato are rather expensive. But again even with those you can get lucky if you shop around. I picked up Radiant Silvergun for 8700 yen in the end, which is less than 80e. The copy in super potato (about 100m away from where I bought it) was going for 15500 yen, about 140e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

As someone who travels a lot for work and is always forgetting to remove items from my man bag(carry on) you would be shockingly surprised the things I've got past security at many airports by mistake.

Forgot to take my Swiss army knife out of my bag the other day when I had to fly to London(was short notice so I was all over the place). Nothing was said when going through security at Dublin and I only found it when I was in the hotel in London. I posted it back home instead of risking getting beat down by the Heathrow security men on the way back.

Now, at the moment I work for an airline that's based in Dublin airport (no names but the have a fondness for green shamrocks and striking at the drop of a hat) and the security guys don't know me so its not like they are just letting get through because of that. If anything they would love to nail someone who works for the airlines trying to get dodgy stuff past them.

And the fact that I have a Utilikey that is always on my keys(for last 3 years anyway) and I have never been stopped in any airport anywhere in the world with that and it has a very sharp scalpel on it.

This is the utilikey thing by the way.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/6d98/

Now, if I actually tried to get something dodgy through i'm sure I'd get caught with it.

ghostchant wrote: »
    The guy in front of me got called back by customs. I was like an Olympic sprinter with my suitcase at that point, I'd totally have called me back instead :p

EnterNow wrote: »
    Standard issue really on Amsterdam flights :D

Sounds like every time I pass through customs.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

nice haul.

I'm frothing with jealousy

I'm frothing

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I was caught quite badly when I went to Japan in 09. I had a list of some 20 DC games I wanted, went to Super Potato first expecting to maybe get 3 or 4. The sods have every single one of them :D Delighted with myself, paid up and went to Trader and there they all were again but for cheaper :pac:

Oh wells. Still cheaper than Play-Asia or eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Lovely haul of goodies there! Especially loving the Saturn SHMUPS. :)

Talking of getting stopped at security, both in Dublin and Chicago airports last week I got pulled up thanks to my iPad stand. Looks like a compass apparently. I think it looks like a pain in the bum that prolongs my stay at security if I'm honest...

This is the stand I have:

http://twelvesouth.com/products/compass/

• Advertisement
Advertisement