Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student on JSA regarding fees

Options
  • 12-07-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm a bit worried. I am hoping to start psychiatric nursing in an IT this year. I have been on JSB and JSA for over a year and meet all the criteria for the back to education scheme. I have one big problem however, I was in third level education back in 2008 and did not finish my course. I am now a mature student (25) but because I had my chance 3 years ago this will mean that I won't be entitled to free fees, right? I'm extremely worried about this... does anyone know what happens in my situation? If I can get the money from somewhere for the first year fees will I get free fees for the other three years? Can anyone tell Me how much fees are in the ITs for nursing? Anyone been in this situation? Thanks in advance ... really worried about this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

starflake wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm a bit worried. I am hoping to start psychiatric nursing in an IT this year. I have been on JSB and JSA for over a year and meet all the criteria for the back to education scheme. I have one big problem however, I was in third level education back in 2008 and did not finish my course. I am now a mature student (25) but because I had my chance 3 years ago this will mean that I won't be entitled to free fees, right? I'm extremely worried about this... does anyone know what happens in my situation? If I can get the money from somewhere for the first year fees will I get free fees for the other three years? Can anyone tell Me how much fees are in the ITs for nursing? Anyone been in this situation? Thanks in advance ... really worried about this!

Hi Starflake.

A lot will depend on how long you remained on your previous course. If you start psych nursing this year you will be liable for fees and may not be eligible for assistance with the registration fees for an equivalent period on this new course. E.G if you spent two years on your previous course before leaving you wont get free fees, etc, for the first two years of this new course.

However you can have your free fee status restored under the 'Second Chance' rule. This requires a period of five years to elapse between the time you left your original course and started the new one. In this case, as long as you didn't get a qualification from your first time in college you can start a new course fee free.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi Starflake.

A lot will depend on how long you remained on your previous course. If you start psych nursing this year you will be liable for fees and may not be eligible for assistance with the registration fees for an equivalent period on this new course. E.G if you spent two years on your previous course before leaving you wont get free fees, etc, for the first two years of this new course.

However you can have your free fee status restored under the 'Second Chance' rule. This requires a period of five years to elapse between the time you left your original course and started the new one. In this case, as long as you didn't get a qualification from your first time in college you can start a new course fee free.

Hope this helps

Hi thanks for the quick response, I was there for three years, so I am in big trouble so! I guess that means I'll have to wait until 2013 so go back :( Thanks for the response! You wouldn't happen to know where I could find out how much fees would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

starflake wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the quick response, I was there for three years, so I am in big trouble so! I guess that means I'll have to wait until 2013 so go back :( Thanks for the response! You wouldn't happen to know where I could find out how much fees would be?

No problem, :)
    If you speak to the college fees dept they can tell you exactly what they are and if you want to double check your situation regarding free fees you can call the DES student support unit on 057 9325317.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

paperclip2 wrote: »
    No problem, :)
    If you speak to the college fees dept they can tell you exactly what they are and if you want to double check your situation regarding free fees you can call the DES student support unit on 057 9325317.

Thanks so much for that I really appreciate it!

Advertisement